Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 06-30-2011, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Originally Posted by purplefiend
Bojangles,
Its beautiful!! The colors in your quilt are wonderful! I like to use different vintage machines to finish a quilt. I like the Pfaff 1222E for sewing bindings too, she's in the
Horn cabinet that she shares with her sister machines. I would like to see the whole quilt, please.
Sharon W.
Thank you Sharon. Here you go. This quilt is only 60X70, a small lap quilt.

Nancy
Nancy, Your quilt as you go lap quilt turned out to be very pretty! I like the colors that you picked, works very well in this quilt.
Old 06-30-2011, 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
I started a quilting journal this morning, not my usual blog posting. So, what did I write about- my vintage sewing machines. I want my kids to have the story correct about my vintage machines: how I found them, how much I paid for them, the condition of the machines when I picked them up, the age of the machines, what I named the machines, what I mainly used the machines for, and what I made with them.
You know Monica, a journal is a great idea, but the guru's tell us to label our quilts with the important information too. Like the year you made it, who made the quilt, and yes it would be cool to put on the quilt all the vintage treadles, etc., that were used to make the quilt. Maybe, I will start doing that! Who knows, maybe 100 years from now some of our quilts will be used in a vintage collection display!

Nancy
OMG! I never thought of listing the machines on the quilt. I just sign and date when the quilt was made. Cool idea adding the machines!
Old 06-30-2011, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by psychonurse
featherweight
born 1951 june 1 Elizabeth NJ
AK 416867

She came with a case and several feet. should have taken a pic. forgot.
She did not have a plug on her cord when purchased, but
for $179 I got that taken care of.
she has some wear on the front AND I have not investigated how to clean her up from that aspect.
She sews like a charm. Her name is CeCe
Beautiful FW! Does anyone on here have a FW older than 1935? I have a first run of 1935 FW and was wondering if I have the oldest one here?

Nancy

What is the date of the earliest FWs? I had some woman tell me that she had a FW from the 1920s. I told her that I thought they didn't start making them until the 1930s. She told me nope, that she had one from the 1920s. So, what type of "FW" did she have?
Old 06-30-2011, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by missgigglewings
See what you all went and did!!!! I spent a couple of days looking at all these wonderful little black sewing machines and got bit by the bug. I just happened to be in the right place at the right time and this is what I paid 14.99 plus 29.99 shipping for. She was born on August 1, 1921, in Elizabeth, NJ. She is a Singer 128, which is a 3/4 machine. she is in pretty bad shape but won't be when I get my hands on her. She has what is called the La Vincendora decals with a grape vine and leaf motif pressed into the face plate.

Now..if one of you fine ladies would point me to the receipe for the cleaning stuff...I will be ready when she gets here!
Missgigglewings, (I love that name) Your machine is very pretty! Have fun with her.
Old 06-30-2011, 08:29 AM

Would those decals still have been in use on a machine in 1919?
Yes, the Lotus decals went thru the early 1920's. Nancy[/quote]
Nancy, Thanks for the Lotus info. The machine is available and I am waiting (impatiently) to hear back from the seller as to when I can go see her.
Old 06-30-2011, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by great aunt jacqui
Here is my Remington Treadle New NO 5. Billy is helping me date it.
Pretty Remington! Nice treadle!
Old 06-30-2011, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by omak
Okay! here are pictures. :D

The picture for the shuttle area was not good, so will be posted later.
I have a quick question:
If I read all of the pages in this particular thread, will I be able to learn more about loading shuttles and how they work? <wave>

Very nice machine! I like the logo. So your machine shouldn't be any different to use than the Singer shuttles or some of the other machines with shuttles. Here are to tutorials that will help you in learning how the shuttle works and winding the bobbin pin. Have fun!
Winding long bobbins for shuttles: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOu4-...eature=related

Using a Shuttle bobbin: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=ke7GnXCiMD0

Also, thanks for you post on the killdeer bird. I looked up youtube videos on this bird since I have never seen one. Now I know what one looks like and how they act.
Old 06-30-2011, 09:30 AM

Thank you for the links. I appreciate the time you have saved me. I will use it wisely by continuing to clip coupons for overseas commissaries while listening to Rush.
I have never seen a machine with this type of bobbin, so it is a whole new world <g>. I was just sure the machine was an oldie, but goodie. At $25 I just couldn't let it go down the road. <wave>
Old 06-30-2011, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by missgigglewings
See what you all went and did!!!! I spent a couple of days looking at all these wonderful little black sewing machines and got bit by the bug. I just happened to be in the right place at the right time and this is what I paid 14.99 plus 29.99 shipping for. She was born on August 1, 1921, in Elizabeth, NJ. She is a Singer 128, which is a 3/4 machine. she is in pretty bad shape but won't be when I get my hands on her. She has what is called the La Vincendora decals with a grape vine and leaf motif pressed into the face plate.

Now..if one of you fine ladies would point me to the receipe for the cleaning stuff...I will be ready when she gets here!
Gigglewings, that is a darling machine you got!! So, welcome to the BITTEN club!!!
Old 06-30-2011, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by chris_quilts
Would those decals still have been in use on a machine in 1919?
Yes, the Lotus decals went thru the early 1920's. Nancy
Nancy, Thanks for the Lotus info. The machine is available and I am waiting (impatiently) to hear back from the seller as to when I can go see her.[/quote]

Oh Chris!!! I so hope you get that Lotus!! I just got one off of an auction, and am anxiously waiting for it to arrive via UPS this week. It is 1909. Was originally in a treadle, but electrified some time, so I will be re-treadling her soon. I'm so excited to get her...she looks really good in the pics I have.

Congratulations on that find. Hope it comes home with you!!