Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 07-16-2011, 07:28 PM

The "stop action" knob doesn't "stop action"!! At either end of the turn or parts between, the needle still moves up and down.
Any suggestions as to what needs adjusted or fixed?[/quote]

If it is the knob to wind the bobbin, take it off and flip the washer over, then put the knob back on.
Old 07-16-2011, 07:30 PM

You could cut the plug and replace it, but an easier fix is to disconnect the wires from the receptical end. The only thing you have to remember is which wire is which. I usually mark them with a piece of masking tape.

It's called a Three Pin Terminal on the adjuster's manual, page 4 here:

[http://parts.singerco.com/IPinstManuals/15-91.pdf

Unscrew the ends from the terminal; the ends of the wiring should have connectors, if not, just wrap the wires around the pins when you replace. Make sure you get the wires back on the right way (this shows black to black, red to red, etc.), or your machine either won't run or will run all the time. Ask me how I know. . .

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl
. . . I could use a cord and pedal from another of my machines, but this cord is threaded through a dime-sized hole in the cabinet, and I have no idea how it was put in or could be taken out. One one end is the wall plug-- too big to go through that hole. On the other end is the plug-in to the machine motor-- even bigger! What do you have to do to change out the cord and pedal? Cut it? There is no other way... The cabinet is the type that you can hang the foot pedal in if you want to, and use a knee bar for control against the foot pedal.

Also, while I was cleaning the head I looked closer at the wires. I had thought they were ok, but today I noticed some of the plastic covering was chipping off. If you see any bare wiring at all you are supposed to replace it, right? Sigh. Looks like this one is going to cost more money.

Any ideas on how that pedal cord can be changed in the cabinet?

Thanks a bunch!
Old 07-16-2011, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by AbbyQuilts
Originally Posted by miriam
Originally Posted by Charlee
Originally Posted by SnowQuilt
I got this today at a yard sale for $1.00, the woman wanted to get rid of it. I brought it home and played with it, it runs great, had a little noise at first then I oiled it and cleaned it out works great now and no more noise. I love this SM. It's a 1959 185K SN EN975663. It has all the attachments, the only thing its missing is the manuel. I have looked on the internet to find one but couldn't. Could someone give me a link for it. Thank you in advance.
Here you go:

http://www.singerco.com/accessories/...manuals/search
I searched for a free one to no avail.

Here it is, it is the second one down
http://www.singerco.com/accessories/...manuals/search
edit: ( I realize now that the link didnt follow through to the search. If you put in the search 185k then it will bring it up)

or you can download it from right here

Thank you so much I got it. I appriciate it.

:)
Old 07-16-2011, 07:34 PM

I got this today at a yard sale for $1.00, the woman wanted to get rid of it. I brought it home and played with it, it runs great, had a little noise at first then I oiled it and cleaned it out works great now and no more noise. I love this SM. It's a 1959 185K SN EN975663. It has all the attachments, the only thing its missing is the manuel. I have looked on the internet to find one but couldn't. Could someone give me a link for it. Thank you in advance.
Lucky you!!! I will probably have one of those one day...I have a thing for little green machines!! Huh-oh!! You're on the track now....be careful or your house will soon be overrun with your acquisitions!!! LOL
Old 07-16-2011, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by Nanamoms
Miz Johnny, I was trying hard to keep it's antiqueness (a word?) but would be open to put a regular foot pedal on it. I think it can be done. Or I could put a handcrank. In that instance, do you just take off the motor?
When I turn them into HCs, I remove the controller parts from the base. It looks a lot better, makes the machine lighter, and the empty space can be used for attachment storage. You can either line the empty space (my mother used to line them with velvet--they always looked snazzy) or just clean them up. The plate covering the controller and the parts themselves can be removed with just a few screws.
I have never put on a regular foot pedal, but know it can be done, it just takes a little more rewiring.
Old 07-16-2011, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by Charlee
A direct link to the pdf file for the 185:
http://www.singerco.com/uploads/down...185jkfinal.pdf

Miz Johnny, thank you! Now if I can get the handcrank off this puppy I'll be happy! It's pretty "stuck" on there... maybe I'll just pull the needle everytime I want to wind the bobbin!! :lol:
Nice,Charlee!!! I got a really beautiful case with my 1917 Western Electric...it's got beautiful grain to it, and is in great condition.
Old 07-16-2011, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by tomilu
You have to look at this wonderful eye candy that was posted on Treadleon.

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...07077835EjdpGN
Boy Tomilu that one barely looks used at all!!! Gorgeous!
Old 07-16-2011, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by jljack
Lucky you!!! I will probably have one of those one day...I have a thing for little green machines!! Huh-oh!! You're on the track now....be careful or your house will soon be overrun with your acquisitions!!! LOL

lol To late it already is. I have another green one like it only it is a 319W 1956. I have about 8 other antiques, mostly Singers.

:roll: :)
Old 07-16-2011, 07:45 PM

lol To late it already is. I have another green one like it only it is a 319W 1956. I have about 8 other antiques, mostly Singers.

:roll: :)
:shock: :shock: This is my summer of "machine addiction". I bought my first vintage machine last year, and this year so far I have gotten 5 more! I REALLY have to stop now!! :-)
Old 07-16-2011, 07:45 PM

[quote=miriam]I have just got to stay OFF CL... I have GOT to stay OFF CL... I SSSSOOOOOOOO have GOT to stay OFF CL... I am weak, I have no resolve... [quote]

It won't work Miriam... I have tried... to no avail! No matter how many machines I bring home... I keep lookin'