Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 07-17-2011, 02:01 AM
Power Poster

[quote=SewExtreme][quote=miriam]I have just got to stay OFF CL... I have GOT to stay OFF CL... I SSSSOOOOOOOO have GOT to stay OFF CL... I am weak, I have no resolve...

It won't work Miriam... I have tried... to no avail! No matter how many machines I bring home... I keep lookin'
Yeah you got that right.... I just woke up to an email from the enabler sister - last night she found that Singer 306 on CL she knows I was watching and offered $$$ and told them I would pick it up.... I do have a treadle base I could put it in... get the base out of the garage and make DH happy I suppose. BUT you know she can't take either the 503 or the 306 home with her on the airplane..... so they are mine..... I'll be driving all over creation tomorrow. They aren't exactly next door to each other or next door to where I live.... I was ok letting them stay on CL until she got them dirt cheap... Oh well, I got even. Yesterday, she called from GW and said they had a Singer 185 so I talked her into taking it home... AND she can't bring it on the airplane. LOL She already has it up and running. Her GKs are staying so she let them pick the lint out with the tweezers. Then she let them help oil. They got it running.
Old 07-17-2011, 02:27 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by lee231
miriam

I had one do the same thing, not a 241. Found out that the point of the hook had a slight burr on it, you could only feel it with you finger nail as you move you finger from the back toward the point. When it hung up, it would pull the top thread real fast and make a rats nest in the bobbin area. I took some wore out 400 grit emery paper and removed the burr and it works good now. One thing that will indicate a burr is marks on the foot needle hole like a bent needle may have hit the hook. Here's is a link for a service manual.

http://parts.singerco.com/IPinstManuals/241.pdf
Thanks. I'll be looking at that shuttle sometime later today. Yesterday, I thought maybe it was still gunk so I cleaned up more gunk - it does look better. Now I think you are right it could be a burr. I'm still wondering about the tension being off. If the tension is not set right or the machine isn't threaded right, it might not have enough slack to go all the way around. BTW I have the ORIGINAL manual. This machine is practically new I think someone had it in their basement for YEARS... Maybe had a little decorating business and quit. You would not believe the condition - well other than all that dried up oil. The two puzzles are the tension spring seems backwards - the manual shows it threaded the way it should go but if you do that it doesn't work. I threaded it over the top of the tension, around and up, crossing the thread and on to the take up lever... It was the only way to activate the spring into the threading. I think I need to change out the spring. The other concern is the shuttle. I'm wondering if the two are a connected problem. That machine might be huge and heavy but it sure does turn easy. I suppose I should post a picture of it on here so you get an idea about that tension threading.
Old 07-17-2011, 02:33 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by jljack
Originally Posted by SnowQuilt

lol To late it already is. I have another green one like it only it is a 319W 1956. I have about 8 other antiques, mostly Singers.

:roll: :)
:shock: :shock: This is my summer of "machine addiction". I bought my first vintage machine last year, and this year so far I have gotten 5 more! I REALLY have to stop now!! :-)
at least you can find them all to count them. Do the ones for parts count???
Old 07-17-2011, 02:37 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by redbugsullivan
Originally Posted by quilt addict
I hope to look at this machine tomorrow but want to have some information before hand. Does anyone know have any idea what this machine may be. The seller does not have any more pictures and I am waiting for him to answer my questions.

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/atq/2493323362.html
Looks like a National to me! Unusual cabinet set up. Anyone else seen a cabinet like this before?
Ha, I show cool stuff like that to my sister and she actually gets them down pretty cheap and sends me the info to go get them..... how can a person resist???? That one would look better in my living room than the old Kenmore in a cardboard table I'm trying to get rid of... LOL
Old 07-17-2011, 05:53 AM
Power Poster

Thank you, Miz Johnny!

Originally Posted by Miz Johnny
You could cut the plug and replace it, but an easier fix is to disconnect the wires from the receptical end. The only thing you have to remember is which wire is which. I usually mark them with a piece of masking tape.

It's called a Three Pin Terminal on the adjuster's manual, page 4 here:

[http://parts.singerco.com/IPinstManuals/15-91.pdf

Unscrew the ends from the terminal; the ends of the wiring should have connectors, if not, just wrap the wires around the pins when you replace. Make sure you get the wires back on the right way (this shows black to black, red to red, etc.), or your machine either won't run or will run all the time. Ask me how I know. . .

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl
. . . I could use a cord and pedal from another of my machines, but this cord is threaded through a dime-sized hole in the cabinet, and I have no idea how it was put in or could be taken out. One one end is the wall plug-- too big to go through that hole. On the other end is the plug-in to the machine motor-- even bigger! What do you have to do to change out the cord and pedal? Cut it? There is no other way... The cabinet is the type that you can hang the foot pedal in if you want to, and use a knee bar for control against the foot pedal.

Also, while I was cleaning the head I looked closer at the wires. I had thought they were ok, but today I noticed some of the plastic covering was chipping off. If you see any bare wiring at all you are supposed to replace it, right? Sigh. Looks like this one is going to cost more money.

Any ideas on how that pedal cord can be changed in the cabinet?

Thanks a bunch!
Old 07-17-2011, 06:48 AM

Hi, I went to my fave SMRM yesterday, we got talking bout vintage machines. He showed me his F&F madeby Chicago sewing machine co, before it burned in the big fire. Treadle, of course, with a beautiful carved coffin top. Machine and irons say Peerless. He figures pre 1980,is in greatt shape, co never rebuilt, so this is one of last ever built by them. He asked if I might see if anyone has any info on it.he really doesnt have room in the shop, so would like to sell it. Prob too rich for my blood, tho. Any help is appreciated.
Old 07-17-2011, 08:59 AM

Do any of you with parts machines have a light available for a Japanese machine? It looks like a Necchi clone, but seems to have been made by Brother. I like the motor better on this one (Admiral) than on the Necchi, but cannot sew without a light. I need to find a light or sell the machine as is. I would hate to pirate the Necchi. It's such a pretty machine.

The cute little LED lights are more than I paid for the machine. I found a Singer Light for about $19, but again, with shipping, that would be more than I paid for the machine.
Old 07-17-2011, 09:11 AM

Good news! :) We were able to fix the "new" machine's problem with the stop motion, and she's acting like a brand new machine! WOOHOO!!

I already am planning on finishing off one of my quilts with her...just need to add borders, etc...
Old 07-17-2011, 10:09 AM

[quote
The cute little LED lights are more than I paid for the machine. I found a Singer Light for about $19, but again, with shipping, that would be more than I paid for the machine.[/quote]
If you check around online, you can probably find the led lights fairly cheap.
If you really like the machine, a few more buck for a light might be a good investment. I know Nancy's Notions carry the led lights. I've been thinking of getting one as it can be directed exactly where you need it.
Jan on 446
>^;;^<
Old 07-17-2011, 10:18 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by jan on 446
[quote
The cute little LED lights are more than I paid for the machine. I found a Singer Light for about $19, but again, with shipping, that would be more than I paid for the machine.
If you check around online, you can probably find the led lights fairly cheap.
If you really like the machine, a few more buck for a light might be a good investment. I know Nancy's Notions carry the led lights. I've been thinking of getting one as it can be directed exactly where you need it.
Jan on 446
>^;;^<[/quote]

The cute little light might be cooler and more energy efficient anyway.