Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 07-28-2011, 07:08 AM

I would love to have this treadle, its a Honeymoon by Davis. But alas its in Michigan.

http://www.shopgoodwill.com/auctions...e-8281022.html
Old 07-28-2011, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
OMG! She just showed me a blog of some gal in New York that designs and sews some awesome bags using a vintage Singer 29k58( I think its a 29k58... looks like one... I don't know the correct #, it's a 29k?). She asked me if I know or seen anything like that Singer. I told her yeah and that I saw one and played with one at the June Gold Coast Mini TOGA. Way cool of a machine that is HEAVY and BIG! She looked disappointed at the heavy and big. I looked at her and said,"NO WAY, You are interested in a Singer 29k58?". Her look was yeah mom. HELP ME!
That is so cool! The hunt is half the fun anyway, now you have a really good excuse to do the hunt and get another machine! Even Dad can't complain about this one!

Nancy
Old 07-28-2011, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
I'm only rescuing the free machines these days. They are like the lost mutts of the world that need a home too, or temp-home. :) When my husband saw the machine he said, "what a cute machine". I don't know where this machine will go.
I never see any 'free' machines! You go girl!

Nancy
Old 07-28-2011, 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by tomilu
CL in Wichita has a beautiful Pfaff 130 in a parlor cabinet for $100. He sent me pics and the head is pristine, just needs a new bobbin winder, and the cabinet is plain but very nice.
Tommie, that 130 is a work horse! That machine was used to sew sails and everything else! I have my mother's Pfaff 130, and it does it all - feed dog drop, zig zags, has all the attachments for buttonholes etc. You can't go wrong with that machine, they still sell for quite a bit on e-bay, but very heavy!

Nancy
Old 07-28-2011, 07:21 AM

Can anyone here tell me how to free motion on a Singer 401? I posted on MAIN earlier, but I don't see the post. Thanks
Old 07-28-2011, 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by kwendt
Originally Posted by Quilt Mom
An update as far as the little treadle in Rochester - we get no responses from calls or e-mails. I am wondering if it has already been sold. But the ad is still up.
Interesting. It's an auction. I don't think they can just pull it. ??? Not sure. I'd go over to the Goodwill and see it first. If you're close by, that is.
This is a craigslist item, not the treadle at goodwill. We have been trying to reach the seller by phone, as requested in the ad. So I sent an e-mail to the listed seller. I just got a response. They said to call - and listed a different number than in the ad. So maybe the digits in the phone number got transposed when the ad was placed. It appears to be listed for someone other than the listing person.
Old 07-28-2011, 07:25 AM

Wow... yeah. There are two thrift/antique stores near me with multiple machines. A Rocketeer in a table, with attachments for $250; a Spartan in a plastic case for $99, a 201 in a 50's painted table, some rust, no attachments for $200, and an early 99 singer (one of the first 99's, treadle balance wheel with the 'foot print' electric controller) in grass cloth rectangular case for $59.

Then there was a animal rescue league thrift store that had the Singer STRAIGHT leg treadle cabinet, with a 15-88 treadle machine in it. I SO wanted to get it, but already have two treadle cabs AND an industrial table sewing machine (Sailrite SR200 longarm). I have no more room! lol
Ok the 15-88, I'd have bought! I have one 15-88 in a straight leg cabinet and I love that machine (did I say that before? It is like my horses, I love the one I am riding the most at THAT time!) Anyway, I would buy a second 15-88 in a heart beat! I don't want a 15-90 nor 15-91, I want the original 15-88, treadle, or 15-89, HC. Those 15's are so great because they drop their feed dogs and have reverse! So cool to be treadling and have the back tack option!

Nancy
Old 07-28-2011, 07:26 AM

Anyone in the Rochester area? There's a Remington coffin top treadle, nice cabinet, early machine with the tesioner set up on the top. Pick up only. Cannot beat the price. Here's the link: http://www.shopgoodwill.com/viewItem.asp?ItemID=8312425
Unfortunately, they set a very high reserve price on all their machines that no one ever hits. They have a Spartan they have relisted several times.
Old 07-28-2011, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by Quilt Mom
This is a craigslist item in Rochester, not the treadle at goodwill. We have been trying to reach the seller by phone, as requested in the ad. So I sent an e-mail to the listed seller. I just got a response. They said to call - and listed a different number than in the ad. So maybe the digits in the phone number got transposed when the ad was placed. It appears to be listed for someone other than the listing person.
Oh... I see. Sorry about the mistake, quilt mom. Glad you got through. Hope that machine makes it home with you.

Re: the comment about the high reserve price. That's interesting. I'll have to remember that if I ever see something listed from that particular GW again. I remember bidding three different times for a Westinghouse gold machine (libertie decals) that I thought I'd like..... but the reserve was never met. It's up for auction again (like the 6th or 7th time now) and now no one is bidding on it. The shipping+packing+'handling' is killer. But..sometimes you can find something good, in a place you can drive too.
Old 07-28-2011, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Then there was a animal rescue league thrift store that had the Singer STRAIGHT leg treadle cabinet, with a 15-88 treadle machine in it. I SO wanted to get it, but already have two treadle cabs AND an industrial table sewing machine (Sailrite SR200 longarm). I have no more room! lol
Ok the 15-88, I'd have bought! I have one 15-88 in a straight leg cabinet and I love that machine (did I say that before? It is like my horses, I love the one I am riding the most at THAT time!) Anyway, I would buy a second 15-88 in a heart beat! I don't want a 15-90 nor 15-91, I want the original 15-88, treadle, or 15-89, HC. Those 15's are so great because they drop their feed dogs and have reverse! So cool to be treadling and have the back tack option! Nancy
Nancy.... yeah.... I was really reallly thinking about it. BUT it was $100 (and I don't begrudge that money, since I know and support that particular organization); BUT... money is rather tight at the moment. Husband would flip out if I bought another one. <grin> I'm sure someone who loves it will find it...