Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 07-23-2011, 08:59 PM

NO NO NO!! NOT the dump!!! To my house for safekeeping!! :lol:
You can send those handcranks my way...after I got the one, I absolutely LOVE that thing, and actually prefer it to the treadle!!

Just imagine...we could pop a couple of corks...sip some wine...sort some parts...sip more wine....port more sarts...sip more wine...more sarts port... ;)

Originally Posted by Miz Johnny
Oh yeah--you guys sound like my husband. He thinks it should all go to the dump. If he knew how much money I have invested, he wouldn't suggest THAT again, now would he?? LOL!
There are at least 10 treadles, "many" HC's and electrics, boxes of attachments, parts, etc., as well as about a ton of fabric. (And several cases of wine.) I should have taken pictures when I started; it would have been much more impressive. I've been working a long time, but have a long way to go yet.

It IS my new hobby. I do, at least, have most parts organized so I can find them when I need them.

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Originally Posted by Charlee
How long can you stay? I'm expecting this to take at least another 5 years.
I'm coming over to help you clean your basement!!!! :)
We'll work in shifts!! I wanna play...er...ah...."work" too!! :lol:
Haahahaaa! OMG! How big is that basement?! I'm a diligent worker, maybe it could be done in less time. :)
With Charlee helping and others maybe we could be finished within a week!
Old 07-23-2011, 09:19 PM

I don't drink. So, the wine would go to the dump while some machines, HC, and attachments would go my way after I tested them out. Forget the testing. Charlee you can have all the wine. Miz Johnny, you got to post a picture.

You can send those handcranks my way...after I got the one, I absolutely LOVE that thing, and actually prefer it to the treadle!!

Just imagine...we could pop a couple of corks...sip some wine...sort some parts...sip more wine....port more sarts...sip more wine...more sarts port... ;)

Oh yeah--you guys sound like my husband. He thinks it should all go to the dump. If he knew how much money I have invested, he wouldn't suggest THAT again, now would he?? LOL!
There are at least 10 treadles, "many" HC's and electrics, boxes of attachments, parts, etc., as well as about a ton of fabric. (And several cases of wine.) I should have taken pictures when I started; it would have been much more impressive. I've been working a long time, but have a long way to go yet.

It IS my new hobby. I do, at least, have most parts organized so I can find them when I need them.

Haahahaaa! OMG! How big is that basement?! I'm a diligent worker, maybe it could be done in less time. :)
Old 07-23-2011, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by purplefiend
Originally Posted by SewExtreme
Originally Posted by jljack
Speaking of quilts finished on vintage machines, we had a sew-in at guild meeting yesterday and did a Jelly Roll Race. I took my 301a with me, and guess what....we WON the Jelly Roll Race. There were lots of high $$$ modern machines and about 6 FWs there too, but me and Ida took the prize!!! WooHoo!! Who says 60 years is old? Ida and I were both "born" in 1951. :-) I was so pleased that she did so well....she just purred along!!
Congratulations!

Isn't it amazing just how fast 301 sew? I can't get over it. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Congratulations on winning the race.
Its almost scary how fast a 301 sews. lol I do love my black 301 short bed. I finally got it all cleaned up and oiled enough that she sews like the wind now.
:-D
It took several oiling sessions for mine to quiet down...she rattled like mad when I first got her. I kept oiling and oiling and oiling, and she is finally down to just that cute little "tick-tick-tick" that they make. And does she sew!!! :-)
Old 07-23-2011, 09:26 PM

I don't drink either, that's why it'd only take 3 sips!! :lol:

I don't drink. So, the wine would go to the dump while some machines, HC, and attachments would go my way after I tested them out. Forget the testing. Charlee you can have all the wine. Miz Johnny, you got to post a picture.

Old 07-23-2011, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by cherrybsixty
Speaking of quilts finished on vintage machines, we had a sew-in at guild meeting yesterday and did a Jelly Roll Race. I took my 301a with me, and guess what....we WON the Jelly Roll Race. There were lots of high $$$ modern machines and about 6 FWs there too, but me and Ida took the prize!!! WooHoo!! Who says 60 years is old? Ida and I were both "born" in 1951. :-) I was so pleased that she did so well....she just purred along!!
Janice, this is awesome, I am happy for you, also. I have been eye-balling a 301 at my local SMRshop, just can't swing right now. But, I will get one.
I just love mine!! And I got so many compliments on her and people interested in her. Many of them had never seen a 301, and several asked "What kind of Featherweight is that". :thumbup:
Old 07-23-2011, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by nickylsf
Hi Janice, congrats on your victory! The 301's look really cool. What do you look for? Is the long bed more desirable? Black or Tan? What is a good price? Thanks, Nicky
Hi Nicky! Mine is black (in my avatar), short bed, and I paid $65 on eBay. HOWEVER, I ended up having to get some parts, badly needed oil because she hadn't been used in AGES and didn't have a cord or case. All in all I spent probably about $125 getting all the parts, cords, foot controller, etc. But I just LOVE this girl!!
Old 07-23-2011, 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by Bennett
I saw this on CL and finally figured out (I think) it's an Elna Plana Supermatic. Can anyone give me the skinny on it? How hard are they to take care of? Hard to find attachments? Straight stitch only? Thanks!

http://dallas.craigslist.org/ndf/hsh/2507357346.html
There's a guy on the internet that has a lot of Elna parts. I can't think of the site off the top of my head, but I have e-mailed and asked him a bunch of questions about my Elna Supermatic, and he is really nice and very helpful. They use cams to do other stitches. Even mine, which is early 50's.
Old 07-23-2011, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Thats what I am saying, send the folks with the new-fangled high dollar machines back to the drawing board!! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Billy
:thumbup: :thumbup: I am using my vintage e-machines more and more. I just love how they sew.
Old 07-23-2011, 09:45 PM

Duh, on my part. I didn't pick that one up, 3 sips!

I don't drink either, that's why it'd only take 3 sips!! :lol:

[
[/quote][/quote][/quote]
Old 07-23-2011, 09:45 PM

Congrats! Sounds like you had a blast with Ida. It will be interesting to see who in that group of modern machines starts looking for a vintage e-machine after that event. It is wonderful to sew with these vintage machines over the modern machine. Please post picture of the winning quilt top or whatever was made with the jelly roll. Way to go!!!
Hahaha!! They cut up some donated pretty ugly fabrics into jelly rolls for this one event. They sold them for $5 each, because no one wanted to buy the fabric otherwise! LOL Anyway, you sew all 40 strips end to end, totaling 1600 inches. When they say GO, you bring the ends together, front to front, and sew all down that one very long side...800". When you get to the end, you cut the fold and flatten it out, and bring the ends together again, sew, clip, flatten, sew, etc. for a total of 5 times. Here's what mine looked like when done. Shocking, isn't it??? :shock:
Attached Thumbnails attachment-230897.jpe