Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 07-23-2011, 08:11 PM

I'm not worried about this board, although thus board is where my pictures were taken from---I literally haven't posted anywhere else! I am worried about CL though and don't know enough about them to trust that I can complain without leaving an email address or other information. I looked around on the CL website and didn't see a clear way to post a complaint.

Treadlep

Originally Posted by Charlee
Originally Posted by treadlep
I appreciate those of you who have let me know that apparently photos are automatically copyrighted and I appreciate the support. I have been very creeped out over this, although I keep telling myself it is not personal and it's just a sewing machine. The sad part is that this is the first board I have ever joined or posted anything on because I have worried about publicly posting things, however this board is supportive and it seemed safe. For those of you who have encouraged me to complain to CL I am not sure if it is possible to accomplish that anonymously and so am hesitant to take this further, even though I know it is not right to let it go. Hopefully someone will buy the machine quickly--- it's a national/Eldredge badged machine and mine is a gem even if the machine for sale isn't. Please understand that I am not dismissing anyone's advice and I'm open to ideas if there is a way to stay anonymous.

Treadlep
The thing is, they're committing fraud. They are NOT selling the machine that is pictured as they said, nor is the cabinet the same one the dog chewed up. They're trolling for suckers....and will use the information that they get from said suckers to do something unsavory.... Please complain to Craig's list!
I don't think you have to worry about posting on this board...or the internet in general. You simply need to be alert to your business dealings, i.e., watch your bank accounts closely (if you purchase online) don't give your home address or phone number, meet in neutral places....resturants, stores, etc.
This board is just as safe as the grocery store...if you are a people watcher, you can find out just as much there about people as you can here.
Old 07-23-2011, 08:19 PM

Hi again. I need help. I've already ranted enough for one day so I won't get into all the details. But, let's just say I bought a 301A today, got it home and it was missing the bobbin case. Grrrr....

So, I'm in a grumpy mood to start with. I oiled it up cleaned it all and it seems to be in working condition(minus the case). But, here's the problem. I can't get the feed dogs to lower. I can turn the knob until it won't turn anymore and I put the stitch length in neutral, yet the feed dogs continue to move. Any idea what I should do??? I guess it's better for them to be stuck in the "up" position, rather than down, but I'd like to try FMQ with it AFTER I find a bobbin case for it. Help!
Old 07-23-2011, 08:28 PM

All the advice on this might be spot on, but I'm betting this person is using these photos isn't trying to pull one over on anyone, just doesn't know any better. They did a search on the name, came across these pictures, and thought they'd use them since their machine USED to look like that.
Probably the best thing to do is contact them and let them know they are causing a stir, and they should not use someone else's photos to sell their item. It used to happen on Ebay all the time, although I think there's been enough complaints that most people have finally learned they can't use someone else's photos to sell stuff.
Then again, I could be wrong. . . .
Originally Posted by incoming2me
I appreciate those of you who have let me know that apparently photos are automatically copyrighted and I appreciate the support. .... Please understand that I am not dismissing anyone's advice and I'm open to ideas if there is a way to stay anonymous.
It'd definitely be a good idea to notify Craigslist as fraud is still fraud anyway you look at it.

At the easiest - flag it for removal.
If it's posted again.. flag it for removal again.
...and again
...and again

Eventually maybe they will get tired of re-posting.

You can also go to an online email service - gmail/hotmail/etc and create an account without using any of your personal information.
THEN contact the seller using that email account.
Then maybe you can say,
"Hey, I see you like my sewing machine. Although, I don't remember you taking a picture of it in my living room. Please use an honest photo as this one is under copy-write."
;)
Old 07-23-2011, 08:32 PM

How long can you stay? I'm expecting this to take at least another 5 years.
Originally Posted by vintagemotif
I'm coming over to help you clean your basement!!!! :)
Old 07-23-2011, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by Miz Johnny
We'll work in shifts!! I wanna play...er...ah...."work" too!! :lol:
Old 07-23-2011, 08:35 PM

I'm not worried about this board, although thus board is where my pictures were taken from---I literally haven't posted anywhere else! I am worried about CL though and don't know enough about them to trust that I can complain without leaving an email address or other information. I looked around on the CL website and didn't see a clear way to post a complaint.

Treadlep

I appreciate those of you who have let me know that apparently photos are automatically copyrighted and I appreciate the support. I have been very creeped out over this, although I keep telling myself it is not personal and it's just a sewing machine. The sad part is that this is the first board I have ever joined or posted anything on because I have worried about publicly posting things, however this board is supportive and it seemed safe. For those of you who have encouraged me to complain to CL I am not sure if it is possible to accomplish that anonymously and so am hesitant to take this further, even though I know it is not right to let it go. Hopefully someone will buy the machine quickly--- it's a national/Eldredge badged machine and mine is a gem even if the machine for sale isn't. Please understand that I am not dismissing anyone's advice and I'm open to ideas if there is a way to stay anonymous.

Treadlep
The thing is, they're committing fraud. They are NOT selling the machine that is pictured as they said, nor is the cabinet the same one the dog chewed up. They're trolling for suckers....and will use the information that they get from said suckers to do something unsavory.... Please complain to Craig's list!
I don't think you have to worry about posting on this board...or the internet in general. You simply need to be alert to your business dealings, i.e., watch your bank accounts closely (if you purchase online) don't give your home address or phone number, meet in neutral places....resturants, stores, etc.
This board is just as safe as the grocery store...if you are a people watcher, you can find out just as much there about people as you can here.

In order to have them take it down you need to file a DMCA take down notice.

What that is is the Digital Millenium Copyright Act. That is law it is to protect you. The information Craigslist gets is not used for anything else other then the take down notice. They are not allowed to abuse that information.

here is a link for the information about filing a complaint. They do ask for a lot of information but that information is protected.
They have to have information to contact you about the matter. The information is number 5
http://www.craigslist.org/about/terms.of.use#copyright
I have never filed a DMCA take down notice but I have had several friends in the art and photography industry have to.

I know you are not comfortable sending a dmca notice. I went ahead and emailed the poster are told the person I know the pics are not theirs and they they need to take it down.
I also flagged it as it is a violation of craigslist terms. I hope everyone who reads this flags because its not right
Old 07-23-2011, 08:39 PM

Haahahaaa! OMG! How big is that basement?! I'm a diligent worker; maybe it could be done in less time. :)
With Charlee helping and others maybe we could be finished within a week!

I'll even bring food!
Old 07-23-2011, 08:51 PM

Treadlep--send you a PM. Also, I checked, and doing a Google image search for "treadle richmond" brings up those pics as the 1st images, so I think they chose those randomly just by searching.

At the top left corner of the CL pages is a link to "help, faqs, abuse, legal" that will pull up a list of links. At the bottom is a "contact us" link. You can use that to complain about a listing if you want. You can also click on the "prohibited" flag link at the right hand side of any posting that doesn't conform to their terms of service.

Edit: Looks like I was too slow and AbbyQuilts beat me to it.
Old 07-23-2011, 08:51 PM

Haahahaaa! OMG! How big is that basement?! I'm a diligent worker; maybe it could be done in less time. :)

I'll even bring food!
I wanna come play in the basement too!!! I am real close I could be there tonight lol
Old 07-23-2011, 08:52 PM

Oh yeah--you guys sound like my husband. He thinks it should all go to the dump. If he knew how much money I have invested, he wouldn't suggest THAT again, now would he?? LOL!
There are at least 10 treadles, "many" HC's and electrics, boxes of attachments, parts, etc., as well as about a ton of fabric. (And several cases of wine.) I should have taken pictures when I started; it would have been much more impressive. I've been working a long time, but have a long way to go yet.

It IS my new hobby. I do, at least, have most parts organized so I can find them when I need them.

Haahahaaa! OMG! How big is that basement?! I'm a diligent worker, maybe it could be done in less time. :)