Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 07-22-2011, 08:48 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by nickylsf
What is a good price for a FW without a case? Is it worth buying?
Depends on the area you are in and what your willing to pay. If it is in really nice condition and its just the machine with nothing else I would go maybe $150 tops but it would have to be mint. But they can go for way more and way less depending on if your at the right place at the right time.

Billy
Old 07-22-2011, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Originally Posted by miriam
We should do a whole topic on old attachment pictures. I know I could to PAGES.
You ask and you shall receive!

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-139458-1.htm

It is locked into our VSMS virtual forum so we can be able to see it from the main page. And if you guys want feel free to post the attachments in use and show us what they can do. With all of our different makes and models this should be a really neat thread.

Billy
OH! This could be fun! :) Now I'm forced into playing with my attachments- but first, I have to finish one more quilt that was promised to my daughter.
Old 07-22-2011, 08:49 AM

As long as the machine is in good shape, then yes, it's worth buying.... as for the case, you can get replacement cases for them...ebay runs about $50-60...

How much are they asking for it? I probably wouldn't give much more than $100...
Old 07-22-2011, 08:52 AM

Evaporust and garnet cloth!! DON'T toss them.
Originally Posted by good_apple
I really thought I had hit the jackpot when I found this box of 30 needles in the drawer of My Fair Lady (my avatar) that I got last year. The very faded lettering on the top of the box says Wheeler & Wilson and the end of the box says No 6 long round pts. W & W High Speed Extra Finish. Unfortunately, most of the needles have a tiny bit of corrosion on them. I guess I won't be selling rusty needles. Even so, I think they're pretty cool.
Old 07-22-2011, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by QultingaddictUK
I thought I would post pics of my find that I bought last year. It had been in a sewing machine shop as as decoration and had been varnished which had gone yellowy n cracked, so with careful cleaning I have to it nearly back to it's pristine condition, it doesn't look as tho' it had been used much, such a shame.
Quilting Addict UK,

That's a pretty 201. My favorite machine is my 201k in treadle. I love them all, but the 201 is my smoothest and quietest and makes the best prettiest stitches top and bottom.
Enjoy!
Old 07-22-2011, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by Charlee
As long as the machine is in good shape, then yes, it's worth buying.... as for the case, you can get replacement cases for them...ebay runs about $50-60...

How much are they asking for it? I probably wouldn't give much more than $100...
Hi all, it is an auction at Goodwill. I sent an email to ask about the case and attachments but have not heard back. It was at $141, I bid $150 and got outbid. I will just hold off until I hear back about the case and attachments.
Old 07-22-2011, 09:02 AM

The Sewmor is cute and cheap and would make a great HC.
I had one of the Viking 900 series (can't remember for sure if it was this exact model or not) back in the 90's and absolutely loved it. (I traded it in on my #1, but often wished over the years that I had kept it, since the trade-in wasn't that great.) The thing to remember is the age--if it needs a new motherboard, will it be available? Viking is notorious for ceasing production on parts for machines past 20 years old.
If I wanted/needed a machine with these capabilities, I would test drive it and probably buy it, but would also keep in mind what it MIGHT need in the near future.The cabinet looks wonderful, and that alone would be worth quite a bit--I'm sure it would hold a more modern Viking as well.
Also should say here that I still have my old Viking #1, and it still worked great the last time I plugged it in. If I were buying new, it would be a Viking.

Originally Posted by QuilterGary
http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/art/2476815954.html
Viking Husqvarna 960 "Computer" Sewing Embroidery Machine
I am going Sat morning to look at these michines. Does anyone have any thoughts on the michines?
http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/art/2493310505.html
Old 07-22-2011, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by grayhare
Hi, I'm new to this Quilting Board. My son-in-law gave me his grandma's Spartan 192K sewing machine. I've found the tutorials by Billy, for cleaning up the machine; which is not bad at all. My question is about the case. How can it be repaired, can it be recovered? Any suggestions.
Thank you, Anamaria
JoAnns or other craft shops have a "tacky glue" that works very well for a repair job. It is water clean up, so not too messy to work with.
Old 07-22-2011, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by Charlee
grayhare, that machine is sweet!! :)

I wouldn't recover the case...the wear and tear is part of it's charm. The only thing I might do is use some wood glue to reattach the part of the cover that's torn/coming loose, and clean the case....I use a product from the dollar store called "Awesome"....great stuff, and I've used it on some of my cases with sucess!
Charlee--awesome is a cleaner, right, not a glue?
Old 07-22-2011, 09:22 AM

Welcome Anamarie!

Love your Spartan.