Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 02-12-2011, 09:21 PM

I just got the pitman for my 1919 Singer treadle...YEAH! Thanks to a good friend who is also my son-in-law's granny. When I had told her that I still needed to get one, she said she might have one in the shed. They {DD and DSIL} checked Fri. evening before heading this way. He put it on for me last night. It turns that wheel real nice. I just bought the kerosene last week to get it cleaned out. Can't wait to get it cleaned, oiled and all together to sew on it. {my HC SERATA too!}
Old 02-13-2011, 12:29 AM

Billy or anyone else who may know,

Will a Rocketeer (Singer 501a) work in a treadle? Will there be enough clearance for the belt at the base of the machine? I was reading this blog where this person took a modern Kenmore that he had removed the drive belt from the motor and put the machine in a treadle. He didn't need to do that with the belt. He states that all he had to do was simple pull the knob out to disengage the electric motor. So, after reading this, I though could this be done with a Rocketeer. Has anyone tried this?

http://www.mushycat.com/wiki/index.p...moreConversion

Jetsons meets the Flintstones...
Old 02-13-2011, 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif

Will a Rocketeer (Singer 501a) work in a treadle? Will there be enough clearance for the belt at the base of the machine? I was reading this blog where this person took a modern Kenmore that he had removed the drive belt from the motor and put the machine in a treadle. He didn't need to do that with the belt. He states that all he had to do was simple pull the knob out to disengage the electric motor. So, after reading this, I though could this be done with a Rocketeer. Has anyone tried this?

I have not seen this done with a 500, but didn't Sharon in TX do this with a 328?? It uses the flat Singer cams.
Old 02-13-2011, 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by PunkQuilter
Has anyone ever seen or own or know anything about this one?

It seems 'all wrong'.http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-PORTABLE...item483ee8623e
Singer did the brownish crinkle finish on a FW too during the War, but I have only seen one in a picture. If you ever see a FW with that color/finish cheap, buy it! Those machines are extremely rare. The gal that taught the FW maintenance class has been looking actively for a brown/crinkle FW for probably 40 + years.

Nancy
Old 02-13-2011, 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by Miz Johnny
Originally Posted by vintagemotif

I have not seen this done with a 500, but didn't Sharon in TX do this with a 328?? It uses the flat Singer cams.
Wow, I would never think this possible! What is a 'vegan' belt? Some kind of veggie belt? Some people have such an imagination! Can you imagine what our foresisters/fathers would say with us all trying to go backwards in time/technology?

Nancy
Old 02-13-2011, 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by Kathie S.
Billy I went to this site and printed it out. It came out the size of a postage stamp. How do I make it bigger so I can read it? Kathie
Kathy what site are you talking about? If it printed out tiny, I'd think that is caused by something on your side? Printer? Computer settings? Did you get it addressed and printed out the right way? You should use "Quote Reply" to copy part of the text you are referring to so we know what you are referring to in your question.

Hope you got it fixed.

Nancy
Old 02-13-2011, 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by Miz Johnny
Sharon what page is your 328 pictured so we can look at how you turned the 328 into treadle?

Nancy
Old 02-13-2011, 07:27 AM

Jetsons meets the Flintstones...[/quote]

I have not seen this done with a 500, but didn't Sharon in TX do this with a 328?? It uses the flat Singer cams.[/quote]

I did it with a Singer 237, it had a belt driven motor and it works great; it doesn't take cams and does only zig zag and straight stitch. I think you could treadle any of the machines that have that configuration. The 328 I don't know about.
I've seen the 216g,319,206,306 treadled.
The Singer 500,401,403 & 503 all have gear driven internal
motors and can't be treadled.
You see a picture of my Singer 237 that I treadle, I had to use the original handwheel(has a deep belt groove) as the shaft on the 237 is a bit larger diameter and the old Singer spoked wheel wouldn't fit.
Sharon W. in Texas

Singer 237 housed in a 1890s coffin top treadle cabinet. The thingy that's clothespinned on is a head light that replaced the light that was on the former electric machine.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]136064[/ATTACH]

I'm making kite blocks for a charity quilt.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]136128[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-136059.jpe   attachment-136123.jpe  
Old 02-13-2011, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
[]

Wow, I would never think this possible! What is a 'vegan' belt? Some kind of veggie belt? Some people have such an imagination! Can you imagine what our foresisters/fathers would say with us all trying to go backwards in time/technology?

Nancy
The Vegan belt that article talks about is polyurethane, the yellow belt you see on the machine.
Sharon W.
Old 02-13-2011, 08:54 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by luv2learn
Originally Posted by Lostn51
Originally Posted by luv2learn
Billy, It seems you like a lot of machines that are not Singer. . . I seem to find a lot that are not singer and just wondered, are parts for other machines available? For instance, I just saw a photo of a Standard treadle, the guy says, "oh yea it IS 140 years old but other than needing a belt, I'm sure it's fine." Are singer parts, interchangeale with other brands? For instance if a machine doesn't have a bobbin case or bobbin? or throat plate or throat plate extension, etc.
Nothing will interchange from Singer to any other machine that I know of. Even the screws for the Singers were proprietary. Your only hope is to find several machines like each other so you can use them for parts or find one that is functionable.

Billy
What about singer to singer. . Where could I find info to tell me which Singer parts are interchangeable with which machines?

Also, have you done the tutorial using the 500A yet, and what is it called, so I can view it? Thanx
There are lots of Singer to Singer swaps but the list is so long and so many parts will interchange it would be a daunting task at best to come up with a list. Maybe after I get a few things done around here and these 3 articles written I will work on the interchange. But that will take several months and lots of hours to do.

But in the meantime I have to expand my studio (1600sqft) which I am already starting on. Then I have a lots of customers machines to work on along with 3 quilt shops I keep stocked in repaints. Oh I almost forgot I have a 1940 Ford Coupe being dropped off here this week for me to fab and replace a few body panels, put the floors in and paint.

I love this time of year and with spring coming it is going to be a good year for me!

Billy