Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 07-27-2011, 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by deplaylady
Here's one I'm looking at - it looks like a cute little one my GD would like to play with when she is here (and it's green and cute looking) - but they say the shipping weight is 58 lbs - no way that has to be right. Anyone know anything about these machines? Also, it seems to be missing the bobbin cover plate and I'm not if they are hard to replace.

http://www.shopgoodwill.com/viewItem.asp?ItemID=8304821
Cute little machine! I think you can pick up the plate from Sew Classic or another online store that sells those parts. I don't think those machines weigh that much.
Old 07-27-2011, 11:09 PM

The 185 is a 3/4 size machine like the 99 and 128. My 128 weighs 29 pounds. The plastic cabinet can't weigh 29 pounds, so they have to wrong. The green is so cute. The write up says it is missing a bobbin - that's no problem, but it also says pick up only. Is that a problem?
Old 07-28-2011, 01:06 AM

Originally Posted by irishrose
The 185 is a 3/4 size machine like the 99 and 128. My 128 weighs 29 pounds. The plastic cabinet can't weigh 29 pounds, so they have to wrong. The green is so cute. The write up says it is missing a bobbin - that's no problem, but it also says pick up only. Is that a problem?
An addition was made to the ad that it can be shipped. Surely the item will be reweighed.
Old 07-28-2011, 01:38 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Miz Johnny
Only the "ordinary" ones! I have an overabundance of 66's, 99's 28's, 27's, etc. Something like that little treadle would entice me to throw a Singer out in the rain!!
Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Originally Posted by Miz Johnny
If I had a sister in Rochester, I'd send her, whether she thought me nutty or not!

:-(

LOL Miz Johnny, Aren't you clearing out your machines? ;)
Cute!!!
That little treadle was the cutest little thing, I was really tempted, but I am happy that my dh helped me put the belt on my treadle tonight. People sure put a wide range of prices on their CL postings![/quote]

!!! you're gonna be ROCKIN'!
Old 07-28-2011, 01:48 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Nancy she loves the Singer 401. She ran into another problem with her Janome today. The needle in the Janome had slip down and was hitting plastic, a simple fix. But while I was figuring out the problem on the Janome, she did use the Singer 15-91. I pulled it out of her room and set it to go for her. She had the 401 setup to do top stitching and didin't want to mess with that. Well,she didn't like the knee control on the 15-91. The foot pedal was used instead. Once I got the Janome running for her again, she asked to go back to that. She is a lefty, and felt that the Singer 15-91 was set up for a right-handed person. She did state that the 401 works for a right handed or left handed person. I told her I would keep my eye out for another 401 for her. I told her she could have one 401 for regular stitching, one 401 for top stitching, and the 15-91 with the buttonholer step up to go for when she wants to make buttonholes.
Well, it sounds to me like she is on the road to really appreciating a vintage machine! The more problems she has with her modern Janome, the more she will marvel at the dependability of these old gals. I find it hard to go back to my modern machines after using the vintage ones. Yes, it is great to have a machine for each job - sure makes our sewing tasks easier - that is the way I do it - they all have their speciality!

Nancy
OMG! She just showed me a blog of some gal in New York that designs and sews some awesome bags using a vintage Singer 29k58( I think its a 29k58... looks like one... I don't know the correct #, it's a 29k?). She asked me if I know or seen anything like that Singer. I told her yeah and that I saw one and played with one at the June Gold Coast Mini TOGA. Way cool of a machine that is HEAVY and BIG! She looked disappointed at the heavy and big. I looked at her and said,"NO WAY, You are interested in a Singer 29k58?". Her look was yeah mom. HELP ME!
ROTFLMBO she got bit..... Is that an industrial? Tell her to come on over I have a 241-13 needs work....
here is a cool one she might like http://terrehaute.craigslist.org/atq/2498349037.html
Old 07-28-2011, 02:00 AM
Power Poster

Here's one I'm looking at - it looks like a cute little one my GD would like to play with when she is here (and it's green and cute looking) - but they say the shipping weight is 58 lbs - no way that has to be right. Anyone know anything about these machines? Also, it seems to be missing the bobbin cover plate and I'm not if they are hard to replace.

I found a throat plate and a foot bar spring
for my sister's 185j
Old 07-28-2011, 02:01 AM
Power Poster

Can you make a throat plate out of a piece of plastic?
http://www.using-sewing-machines.com/Singer285J.html
Note they are reviewing a Singer 285 not a 185. Where do you pick it up? I live in Indianapolis. just enabling...
Old 07-28-2011, 02:12 AM
Power Poster

http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/art/2517001950.html
I wonder if it it possible to rig a knob - the foot control is no problem... I wonder if it is the right picture or just one they pulled up out of somebody's living room...
Old 07-28-2011, 03:03 AM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Originally Posted by shelburn
For everyone else, I love this thread. Can't wait to read it every day.
Wish I could find another treadle machine. Love my New Home 1880's treadle. Am attempting to make a miniquilt on it. Such fun! I am looking for a Singer machine. I have four machines but none of them are Singers. Two are vintage and two are modern (I guess) with plastic cases. I have been bitten by the VB (Vintage Bug) and DH is no help.
He loves fire arms so there is no room for criticism!
I have yard saler friends watching for old machines, but they don't really understand what it is we are looking for.
Thanks to all you people who helped me get the old New Home teadle going. Have become addicted, since I can't trail ride my horse any more. Need another outlet!!
Ok I have to ask, why can't you ride your trail horse anymore?

Nancy
Inquiring minds ......... I'm wondering also.
Old 07-28-2011, 03:56 AM

Originally Posted by miriam
http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/art/2517001950.html
I wonder if it it possible to rig a knob - the foot control is no problem... I wonder if it is the right picture or just one they pulled up out of somebody's living room...
Many years ago my smrguy made a missing knob similar outof a chunk of dowel. Worked good for couple years that I had it.