Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1587 of 1792 FirstFirst ... 587 1087 1487 1537 1577 1586 1587 1588 1597 1637 1687 ... LastLast
Results 39,651 to 39,675 of 44790

Thread: Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Hey Charlee, how are you. I was just talking to Barb and she suggested I ask you about what to use. Yes, it's good to be home. Thanks.

Blog Entries
    As far as clunk goes I have a clone that goes clunk, locks up in the place under the peep hole in the back where the light attaches - as soon as you look at it the machine quits clunking and turns like it wants to. I think there is a gremlin in there somewhere.
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.

I like our descriptive names... clunck, clink, rattle.. and not to forget thingee, whatchamacallit, dohicky, thingamajigger.

I told my daughter the other day that the store she wanted was kattywonkus to the gas station. She didn't understand, and then said 'Oh! you mean kittycornered!'.
    Cil

I'm a Queen.... at least my pantyhose say I am!

(proud caretaker of a magenta 221, purple 222, assorted 66's, a 301, a pink Atlas and Monarch, and Granny's 201-2.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by makitmama View Post
    I like our descriptive names... clunck, clink, rattle.. and not to forget thingee, whatchamacallit, dohicky, thingamajigger.

I told my daughter the other day that the store she wanted was kattywonkus to the gas station. She didn't understand, and then said 'Oh! you mean kittycornered!'.
    I can remember my grandma giving directions - "turn left where the old school house used to be"

Blog Entries
    All highly technical terms!

Miriam...in one town where I lived in Colorado, in the same house for YEARS....everyone called it "The Schafer House"... the Schafers were the previous owners, and to my knowledge it's still the "Schafer House"!
    One day, you'll only be a memory for some people. Do your best to be a good one.

http://charleeturner.blogspot.com

Interesting listing on Craigslist. http://grandrapids.craigslist.org/for/3450675628.html

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lee231 View Post
    those seem to have a good reputation
    some man bought a HC 128 from me the other day to repair his sails - said it was either the 128 or that machine - the 129 was cheaper

Does anyone know what accessories are available for an Anker RZ, aka New Home CZ, aka Free Westinghouse? It is a low shank machine. Would any low shank accessories work on it? Also does anyone know a good source for the bobbin tire for the same machine? Any help here would be appreciated. Thanks. ~G~

Thank you Trish and Charlee for your help on the sewing kit mystery. ~G~

Well, I pretty much finished up work on a Singer 99-13 I picked up a few weeks ago. Just a few touch ups left.
    ~G~

Before.
    Name:  Singer 99.1.jpg
Views: 553
Size:  774.5 KB

And Now.
    Name:  IMG_8590.JPG
Views: 3441
Size:  474.2 KB

Hey Grant....nice job on the rehab.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DanofNJ View Post
    Hey Grant....nice job on the rehab.
    I don't see it

Grant,
    What did you use to put the shine on it?

Miriam,
    You need to get your computer fixed or replaced. You're having entirely too much trouble with pics.

Joe

Blog Entries
    Joe, I am totally inept when it comes to computers of any kind. One of my sons runs some kind of fax to phone systems for Amazon... he didn't get it from me...

Quote Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
    Grant,
    What did you use to put the shine on it?

Miriam,
    You need to get your computer fixed or replaced. You're having entirely too much trouble with pics.

Joe
    Dan, Thank you. Miriam, I will try to send them to you in a pm. Joe, I use regular car wax with no abrasives to clean the gunk off of them and have for years with 100% success. It doesn't mess up the paint or decals and gives it a nice shine when it is clean. It takes a bit more elbow grease but I think that preserving the paint and decals is worth the extra effort. If there is old tape or thick gunk on the bed, I use straight 91% Isopropyl Alcohol. On the "Chrome" I use a metal polish called Nevr-Dull Wadding Polish. You can get it at auto parts stores. And Murphy's Oil Soap for the wood.
    ~G~

Blog Entries
    Where do you find that wax?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lee231 View Post
    Geeeze, Lee that is an interesting machine. I did a search of the reviews and information about the machine. It weighs over 40 lbs - like most of our vintage machines. It is the standard length and width, but is suppose to be great for doing sails, leather, upholstery. It has a built in walking foot. Pretty interesting machine - all mechanical. Thanks for sharing.

Nancy

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by miriam View Post
    those seem to have a good reputation
    some man bought a HC 128 from me the other day to repair his sails - said it was either the 128 or that machine - the 129 was cheaper
    Miriam, I'd think he'd want a 27/127 not a 128! Did he realize the 128 is a 3/4 sized machine? Well, I guess if he only had to repair the edges he'd be fine. The 128, I'm sure, can handle repairing sails! He just won't have a lot of room to work and sails are bulky!

Nancy

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BoJangles View Post
    Miriam, I'd think he'd want a 27/127 not a 128! Did he realize the 128 is a 3/4 sized machine? Well, I guess if he only had to repair the edges he'd be fine. The 128, I'm sure can handle repair sails, but he wouldn't have a lot of room under the neck!

Nancy
    It's what he wanted. I think it is going to sit in his living room anyway. I tried to match him up better.

Quote Originally Posted by miriam View Post
    Where do you find that wax?
    Miriam, I just use regular car wax. You can get it at any auto parts store or any store like Wal-Mart, Target, etc. too. The thing I want to stress though is it should be just a plain wax. Not rubbing or polishing compound and nothing with an abrasive in it. Abrasives are bad for sewing machines and their finish.
    ~G~

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by grant15clone View Post
    Does anyone know what accessories are available for an Anker RZ, aka New Home CZ, aka Free Westinghouse? It is a low shank machine. Would any low shank accessories work on it? Also does anyone know a good source for the bobbin tire for the same machine? Any help here would be appreciated. Thanks. ~G~
    Grant I know nothing about the Anker, but low shank feet are interchangeable with all your low shank machines - unless it is a dedicated left needle machine! I actually pieced a block of the month yesterday using my "Rodney" machine, which is a dedicated left needle position machine! I didn't think it was possible to do a 1/4" seam with one of those machines because your seam allowance is not even over the right feed dog. I have a straight stitch foot for the left needle machines. I just put the foot on and pieced using only the left feed . . . . worked great. I was really impressed with the machine too, very quiet, strong, and smooth.

Great job Grant on the 99!

Nancy

Blog Entries
    Grant I know nothing about the Anker, but low shank feet are interchangeable with all your low shank machines - unless it is a dedicated left needle machine! I actually pieced a block of the month yesterday using my "Rodney" machine, which is a dedicated left needle position machine! I didn't think it was possible to do a 1/4" seam with one of those machines because your seam allowance is not even over the right feed dog. I have a straight stitch foot for the left needle machines. I just put the foot on and pieced using only the left feed . . . . worked great. I was really impressed with the machine too, very quiet, strong, and smooth.

Nancy
    I was impressed with that machine for what ever reason, too. I think I would like it better if it was not dedicated left though.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by makitmama View Post

Mama, I love and use all these descriptive words! Everyone should know what all those slang words mean!
    Pretty soon your daughter will be a pro at using those slang words too!

Nancy

Nancy
    Nancy, Thank you for this info. Although I am not a sewer as much as a restorer, this helps. I didn't know if because it is German if it would make a difference or not. I'm glad to hear that Rodney is a good machine. Sometimes looks can be deceiving. And Thank You for the compliment.
    ~G~

I picked up a Pfaff 130 this weekend and was trying to clean it up a bit and this shows what a little rubbing alcohol followed by some car wax can do to even the worst dried on, baked on, oil and schmutz. I like the after shot. It shines so much it has a double reflection.
    ~G~

Name:  PFSHINE.jpg
Views: 279
Size:  245.6 KB