Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 06-16-2011, 01:14 PM
Banned

Opps someone beat me to it............I wonder who that one would be ;)

Billy
Old 06-16-2011, 01:15 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Darcene
It would appear that our dear Billy's recent encounter with a copperhead has affected his mind....oh well, since we all love him so much, let's see if we can help him out with his latest venture....I would offer to help but I am just a little bit too far out of his way...

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-130418-1.htm
LOL Darcene I will be headed your way in April on my East/West coast ride!

Funny how my wife said the same thing that you did........... :roll:

Billy
Old 06-16-2011, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by miriam
Will an old belt still in the package still be any good - if so how would I know?
They're sort of like tires, they begin to get little lines and cracks of dry rot. I just put my foot in the center and pulled on both ends. It won't stretch, but if it's bad, it'll start to give. That's never happened to me with a sewing machine belt, but it has with leather lace for sewing moccasins. The leather belts usually hold up pretty good until they go onto a machine. Once it starts to work, the cells tighten, causing the belt to loosen. I think, If ya got it - use it. If it's bad, it'll break.

I tossed the ends that I cut off to my fur babies. One of them likes to chew (Bad Habit) on electric cords, so I thought she would enjoy chewing on the waste leather. Neither of them will touch it. Guess I won't have to worry about them working over the treadle belts. I can't leave an electric lamp or anything with an exposed cord in their room. I didn't realize it for a while. I'm lucky they didn't short the circuits or cause a fire.
Old 06-16-2011, 01:17 PM
Banned

Will an old belt still in the package still be any good - if so how would I know?
If it is still pliable I would think it would work fine. I have used NOS (new old stock) fan belts that were 50+ years old on my cars and they are just as good as the new ones.

Billy
Old 06-16-2011, 01:18 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by olebat
They're sort of like tires, they begin to get little lines and cracks of dry rot. I just put my foot in the center and pulled on both ends. It won't stretch, but if it's bad, it'll start to give. That's never happened to me with a sewing machine belt, but it has with leather lace for sewing moccasins. The leather belts usually hold up pretty good until they go onto a machine. Once it starts to work, the cells tighten, causing the belt to loosen. I think, If ya got it - use it. If it's bad, it'll break.

I tossed the ends that I cut off to my fur babies. One of them likes to chew (Bad Habit) on electric cords, so I thought she would enjoy chewing on the waste leather. Neither of them will touch it. Guess I won't have to worry about them working over the treadle belts. I can't leave an electric lamp or anything with an exposed cord in their room. I didn't realize it for a while. I'm lucky they didn't short the circuits or cause a fire.
My puppies did that when they were younger and after getting the stew knocked out of them they left them alone.

Billy
Old 06-16-2011, 01:21 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by olebat
Back on page 1112, I inquired about buying spools of leather, rather than belt kits.( http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-43881-1112.htm#3349480 ) However, a huge influx of new machines overshadowed my inquiry, and no one responded. So, now that we're on the subject of belts . . . are there any pros and cons on the subject of buying spools of round leather, or beveled? One spool will belt many machines, and is less expensive than 5 new belts from my local dealer.
Yes it is cheaper!! The supplier that I went to for my belting told me the factory burned and that it will be a while before he can get them again. But there are some deals on ebay but I am not sure if they are the Chinese versions or not. I try to buy only made in USA parts if I can.

Billy
Old 06-16-2011, 01:27 PM

I pasted this from my other thread("My CraigsList Haul" ) as I thought this would be a better place to ask.

Ok, now I have a real dilemma here. Help!
She is offering me a chance to buy the longarm too, on payments even. She wants $3000 for it but I have no clue on LAs, is this a fair price? Her mom paid $2500 for it when she bought it.

From what I could see of it, it is a Singer Industrial model with the table. From comparing it to pics on google search, it looks similar to a 15-91 model. Were these models made industrial sized? The head is huge!, not like my 27 I have. The head has Singer and Industrial stamped on it but can't get the serial number off it til tomorrow, when I go back to help clear more stuff and get first dibs on any fabric I want.

Anyone here know about these things??
Old 06-16-2011, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Okay, I finally got around to posting photos of my Singer cabinet conversion here on the Quilting Board.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-130940-1.htm#3493496

I have it under tutorials since I couldn't figure out how to post in the Vintage Machine Shop area.
The title is Conversion of Singer treadle cabinet.
Monica, thanks for posting this conversion. I bookmarked it for future use.

Nanc
Old 06-16-2011, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by jljack
Originally Posted by BoJangles
Originally Posted by jljack
And here is the 99 I got on auction with the Lotus decals. This is the pic from the website. I don't have it yet. This is the one I want to re-treadle.
Janice, are you sure that is a 99? The Redeye decal and the Lotus decal's were only used on the 66.

Nancy
Sorry...I been talking about my 99 and had it on my mind. You are correct. The one I just won is a 66 Lotus.
Well it is a very pretty 66! The one decal I don't have is the Lotus!

Nancy
Old 06-16-2011, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Okay, I finally got around to posting photos of my Singer cabinet conversion here on the Quilting Board.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-130940-1.htm#3493496

I have it under tutorials since I couldn't figure out how to post in the Vintage Machine Shop area.
The title is Conversion of Singer treadle cabinet.
I will move it into the Virtual Forums for you!

Billy
Thank you! :)