Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 03-24-2011, 03:10 PM

I just love your "Hot Rod". As a matter of fact, I like all of them. I don't have any antique machines, but just love to look at them. My Fleetwoodmachine is that pretty blue too, just a bit darker. By the way where do you put all of your machines?

Have an idea! You know how people show their antique automobiles at shows. Someone should start one for antique machines. I bet that would go over big!
Old 03-24-2011, 03:29 PM

To the people with electrical problems: I have had this happen before. The electrical power is divided into two zones-light, which is continuous power, and motor, which gets its power from the foot control (no power when at rest if it is operating properly.)One potential problem is a bad foot control, either shorted or burned out completely; unplug the cord from the wall and open it up and check it out. Second potential problem: If the plug that goes to the machine is screwed together, the wires to the motor may be touching the wires to the light, making it run all the time. There can be other ones, but those two I have encountered, and conquered. Just be sure to have everything unplugged from the electricity source before you open anything up.
Old 03-24-2011, 03:38 PM

Is there any way you can post a picture of the plug part on the machine? I have a 15 clone that is odd like that, 3 plug-in blade slots in sort of an arc. Let us see what it looks like and maybe someone will have a helper piece. I agree about the 15 bobbin case. If you have access to another 15 you can test it out and see if a regular one will work. Good luck.

Melinda

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl
I went back to look at the Japanese cloned 15 (the badged Sears Kenmore)today, money in hand, ready to buy. I had made my decision to get it, but sadly found it did NOT have it's cord or it's bobbin case. The person I talked to said it was her sister's, and she took my phone # so her sister could call me. I am hoping and praying she can find that cord and the bobbin case at her house, as both are very specific to this machine and it's dead in the water without them. WHAT A BUMMER...
Old 03-24-2011, 03:40 PM

We could do a Louisiana Sewing Machine Festival!! Or set up a booth/area at an existing festival. What part of LA are you from? I am from Central LA, Jonesville area.

Originally Posted by luce321
I just love your "Hot Rod". As a matter of fact, I like all of them. I don't have any antique machines, but just love to look at them. My Fleetwoodmachine is that pretty blue too, just a bit darker. By the way where do you put all of your machines?

Have an idea! You know how people show their antique automobiles at shows. Someone should start one for antique machines. I bet that would go over big!
Old 03-24-2011, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by dirty1mom
So, I started thinking about what I had in my attic. Went up there when I got home from work and carried them down. One 66 in bottom wood case only, sn G7499421. Dirty, no bobbin, but the race is there. I bought it at an auction a couple years ago for $5.00. The decals are almost perfect. The second machine came from my mom's gaage last summer. Another 66 in a wooden case, the key works! Also dirty and decals are not as nice, but intact. Sn G2385133. Both machines have their foot pedals.
Dirty1mom, your first machine is an Oct 29, 1919, machine, the second one is Oct. 3, 1912. What decals are these 66's?

Nancy
Old 03-24-2011, 03:58 PM

Your Singer New Family model dtd 1876 is so nice, and the cabinet is so different than any I have seen. Hope you can get it working, if not, it is a showpiece.
Old 03-24-2011, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by melinda1962
We could do a Louisiana Sewing Machine Festival!! Or set up a booth/area at an existing festival. What part of LA are you from? I am from Central LA, Jonesville area.

Originally Posted by luce321

I really like this Idea!!
Old 03-24-2011, 04:09 PM

I am waiting for a response concerning this machine for more pictures.

http://neworleans.craigslist.org/atq/2274883842.html
Old 03-24-2011, 04:10 PM

I hate to admit that I don't know what "threads deserves to be stickied." Help!
Old 03-24-2011, 04:11 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Originally Posted by sewbizgirl
What does it usually mean when an electric machine starts running the moment you plug it in? I've seen a few of those lately. What's the fix for that? Total re-wiring?
Sewbizgirl, aren't you the one that doesn't have the foot pedal? If you do have a foot pedal, the same thing has happened to me twice. Once with a Janome, (new machine) and once with a 1960's New Home. The foot pedal was the culprit both times. My DH took the foot pedal apart to fix something in there that had gotten stuck!Nancy

Actually, the one I'm asking about is another machine than the one I'm looking at that's missing the cord and foot control. It makes sense that something is wrong in the foot controller if the machine starts running the second you plug it in. Obviously something in that controller is making contact before it should.