Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1285 of 1792 FirstFirst ... 285 785 1185 1235 1275 1284 1285 1286 1295 1335 1385 1785 ... LastLast
Results 32,101 to 32,125 of 44790

Thread: Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlee View Post
    Oh my!!! I think you can get fined for getting together with other board members and not getting photos!!

So glad you had a good time!
    I bet someone took pictures!

Nancy

Blog Entries
    Does any one have a slide plate for a Minnesota H? Joe or Jon didn't one of you tell us that the Minnesota parts were interchangeable with another machine - the Davis?

From what I can tell my Minnesota H was made by Domestic Sewing Machine Company and sold by Sears, although, it is confusing as ISMACS needle listing site says the Minnesota H was made by Davis and right below that it lists a Minnesota H made by Standard? To add to the confusion the White dating site claims the Minnesota H as a badged White? Interesting.

Nancy
    Last edited by BoJangles; 03-11-2012 at 06:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Candace View Post
    Hmmm....I'm not sure what I think about this hot pink 301. Part of me likes it and part of me thinks I'd go blind staring at it for a long period. http://www.ebay.com/itm/WOW-HOT-PINK...#ht_500wt_1221
    Oh my! That is one HOT MAMA. That is one sewing machine DH would notice right away so I would have to be honest when he asks, "When did you get that one"? My Featherweight sat on the sewing table for weeks before he asked me when I got her. LOL.
    Sweet Caroline

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BoJangles View Post
    Does any one have a slide plate for a Minnesota H? Joe or Jon didn't one of you tell us that the Minnesota parts were interchangeable with another machine - the Davis?

From what I can tell my Minnesota H was made by Domestic Sewing Machine Company and sold by Sears, although, it is confusing as ISMACS needle listing site says the Minnesota H was made by Davis and right below that it lists a Minnesota H made by Standard? To add to the confusion the White dating site claims the Minnesota H as a badged White? Interesting.

Nancy
    Ok in doing more research I found in ISMACS history of Sears sewing machines this quote. "In the 1930s, the Domestic vibrating shuttle sewing machines, the Minnesota New Model A and the Model H were phased out of production." So even ISMACS can't decide who made the Minnesota H?

Anyway, I need a slide plate!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lovequilts722 View Post
    Hi all

I hope it's okay to join in the fun! I am thinking about buying a vintage Viking 6460. Looking forward to getting to know y'all!
    Ok Lovequilts722, is it red? The only 6460 I have seen is red and it uses cams! Lots of us on this board have vintage Singers that use cams. The Rocketeer (500 series) and the 400 series! I hope you get the machine and if you do please post pictures.

Nancy

Nancy
    Hi Nancy,
    Might want to check Thayer Rags, don't think the Davis Minnesota's parts will work on a Domestic Minnesota.
    Good Luck
    Jon

Ok Lovequilts722, is it red? The only 6460 I have seen is red and it uses cams! Lots of us on this board have vintage Singers that use cams. The Rocketeer (500 series) and the 400 series! I hope you get the machine and if you do please post pictures.

Nancy
    Hi there!

Yes, it is red and a beauty! It was love at first sight, really. LOL I'm waiting on a tax refund on Tuesday then hopefully I will get her off Etsy if she hasn't sold by then. Cross your fingers! I will definitely post pics when I get her. I'm so excited! She comes with several cams... one has little dogs on it.

Gee, Nancy--you're such a good friend!!
    I want to take part! I would have to take the Pfaff treadle and a few other jewels Miz Johnnny has - oh just to make her place less crowded you know!

Nancy
    Miz Johnny

I love the 6000 series Vikings. (I have 3 here right now; at least 2 more than I need.) The thing I would caution you on is the cam stack--they tend to break in these old puppies, and are not the easiest thing in the world to replace. I replaced one, and am glad I tried it, but have no desire to do it again!! I do have an extra put away in case the one on my RED machine ever breaks!!

Nancy
    Miz Johnny

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mizkaki View Post
    Gee, we aren't asking for much are we? <GGG>
    Yeah! I like to think grand; but first, I need to win the Lotto!

Blog Entries
    Ok Girls....how was the TOGA?? Got pictures?

Okay, Charlee, here is my posting to the Gold Country TOGA for you to read:
    I had another fun filled day learning how to fix machines and set needles, thanks to Cathy playing with my machines!
    Cathy thank you for teaching me that clever way of adjusting the needle height for a 15x1 needle used in a machine that should really have a 20x1 needle.
    I made some exchange blocks with my Singer 15BG168 that was made in Taiwan and now has that funny repo handcrank with the Chinese characters saying made in China. Cathy did a quick fix on the tension spring on that machine.
    Purchased some fabric with camping theme, daisies, and a batik for another project. The Cloth and quilts has beautiful fabrics and gorgeous quilts hanging on the store walls for display.
    I want to thank Cloth and Quilts for opening they doors, hearts and hands, to our small group; the two dishes in the Crockpots were yummy.
    I had fun drooling over the beautiful machines at the store. I even showed off the Two Spools in the beautiful cabinet twice.
    For me the highlight of the day was the raffle and enjoying the elderly gentleman (86 yrs old) that walked away with the 5 machines heads. He looked so happy to have some machines to studied and tinker with.
    And here he had just come in morning to pick up a featherweight, but came back later in the day to see all our machines and chat with us.
    He told me that at age 81, he pieced 81 quilt tops with his old Kenmore. He went home with a couple of machines older than his Kenmore yesterday- cute old soul.
    For those that were unable to make the gathering, I missed your company.

Blog Entries
    Oh my!!! I think you can get fined for getting together with other board members and not getting photos!!

So glad you had a good time!
    I don't do pictures since my one mutant gene gets in my way of taking pretty pictures; I have essential tremors.
    Seriously, essential tremors is having a mutant gene, a 50% chance of inheriting that gene, which I inherited (I get to thank my dad for that). Sometimes it takes me numerous shots to take a photo that isn't blurred for my post here on the board. So, that is why I don't do pictures. Sorry that I don't have any to share with all.

Blog Entries
    Thank you Irish! I'd expect Wards to do this, but still it doesn't say Montgomery Wards arcoss the arm in big bold letters - the MW is pretty indiscreet. Not like my Hitachi that shouts Hitachi in big bold letters from the treadle and machine head!

Nancy
    Nancy, Hitachi makes rice cookers. Maybe Hitachi figured they could make more money making rice cookers than sewing machines since Brother already had the sewing machine market. Hitachi does have many divisions, don't know which division would have been responsible for the sewing machine.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by vintagemotif View Post
    I don't do pictures since my one mutant gene gets in my way of taking pretty pictures; I have essential tremors.
    Seriously, essential tremors is having a mutant gene, a 50% chance of inheriting that gene, which I inherited (I get to thank my dad for that). Sometimes it takes me numerous shots to take a photo that isn't blurred for my post here on the board. So, that is why I don't do pictures. Sorry that I don't have any to share with all.
    They have cameras now that will adjust for movement...AND there's nothing saying you can't hand the camera off and be IN the photo!!

Oh my....I can tell that I'm going to have to bring my camera to a TOGA!!!

Thanks for the reports!! I'm gonna make it there someday...I am....I am....I am!!!!!!
    One day, you'll only be a memory for some people. Do your best to be a good one.

http://charleeturner.blogspot.com

For the individual looking for Lostn51 and the individual who seems to think he is purposely not returning machines, this quote was taken from his last post on the board. He has some serious health problems, and has completed things as able. But he probably not available to help us now.

"Okay I am dropping in for a second to let everyone know that I will be finished with all of your machines by next week. ... I will try to send out emails and PM's when they go out to give you a heads up but I am just glad to be finished finally.

Billy"

Sar73, did you post the serial number on your machine, so we can help you find a manual?

It looks like the TOGA was fun! (I wish there was one in my area. I can't see traveling from the midwest to the coast when the cost of gas is rising so fast, and my DH doesn't see the value in making the trip.) Someday, I'd like to get to one, also. Thanks for sharing the happenings of the event!
    Last edited by Quilt Mom; 03-11-2012 at 11:30 AM.
    Quilt Mom

Going through life one stitch at a time

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Quilt Mom View Post

It looks like the TOGA was fun! (I wish there was one in my area. I can't see traveling from the midwest to the coast when the cost of gas is rising so fast, and my DH doesn't see the value in making the trip.) Someday, I'd like to get to one, also. Thanks for sharing the happenings of the event!
    You should start a TOGA where you live. See if you can use space at your local library and post on numerous boards that you will be holding a gathering. Also post in local newspaper and at library. I'm sure you should get a couple of folks to show.

The TOGAs are great for meeting others, share info on machines, and admire other folks machines/treadle projects as well as quilt projects.

If you don't want to call it a TOGA, since that refers more to treadle, then call it Vintage Machine Gathering.

Maybe more folks with machines that are vintage, but not treadled machines will show for the event. It doesn't matter if it is a treadle machine or a vintage machine; it's just about educating the public that the old machines can still be used for sewing, be it clothes or quilts.

Blog Entries
    They have cameras now that will adjust for movement...AND there's nothing saying you can't hand the camera off and be IN the photo!!

Oh my....I can tell that I'm going to have to bring my camera to a TOGA!!!

Thanks for the reports!! I'm gonna make it there someday...I am....I am....I am!!!!!!
    Yeah, my son has told me that too about the cameras. I'm going to have to check into purchasing one.
    Why I don't hand a camera over to someone else is because of this poor excuse. It never fails for me, someone always comes up to me asking me if I wouldn't mind taking a picture of them at whatever spot. I then have to tell them if they want the picture to turn out they should get someone else to take the picture. I always get a funny, weird look at that point which then I explain why. Most of the time after all of the explanation, I still get a weird look from them. So, because of my experience with those situations, I never ask others to take a picture for me in fear of making someone uncomfortable (like it does me). I need to get over that one, and just learn to ask.

Quote Originally Posted by Miz Johnny View Post
    Gee, Nancy--you're such a good friend!!
    She is the best. Always there to go that extra mile for you.

Quote Originally Posted by vintagemotif View Post
    Yeah, my son has told me that too about the cameras. I'm going to have to check into purchasing one.
    Why I don't hand a camera over to someone else is because of this poor excuse. It never fails for me, someone always comes up to me asking me if I wouldn't mind taking a picture of them at whatever spot. I then have to tell them if they want the picture to turn out they should get someone else to take the picture. I always get a funny, weird look at that point which then I explain why. Most of the time after all of the explanation, I still get a weird look from them. So, because of my experience with those situations, I never ask others to take a picture for me in fear of making someone uncomfortable (like it does me). I need to get over that one, and just learn to ask.
    Try using a small tripod and your camera timer, then everyone can be in the picture. I always carry mine with my camera case for that very reason. I had realized that I am in few pics, because I usually take them, so that was my solution.
    Melinda

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by melinda1962 View Post
    Try using a small tripod and your camera timer, then everyone can be in the picture. I always carry mine with my camera case for that very reason. I had realized that I am in few pics, because I usually take them, so that was my solution.
    Now that's an excellent idea! Okay, I now have no excuse!

I'll also post this in the general area but I think it came out pretty nice. I refinished the cabinet a while ago and it didn't come with a stool. I got a stool that is the original match to the cabinet, but it was a blonde color and the top was pretty nasty. I refinished the stool and covered it with a scrap quilt piece(pieced and quilted on my 301). It's comfy and looks much better than it did originally!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Candace View Post
    I'll also post this in the general area but I think it came out pretty nice. I refinished the cabinet a while ago and it didn't come with a stool. I got a stool that is the original match to the cabinet, but it was a blonde color and the top was pretty nasty. I refinished the stool and covered it with a scrap quilt piece(pieced and quilted on my 301). It's comfy and looks much better than it did originally!
    I love your stool!!!! The fabrics are way cool on that stool.

That came out beautifully.

Blog Entries
    Candace, I like yours better than the one I did with vinyl!! That's pretty!
    One day, you'll only be a memory for some people. Do your best to be a good one.

http://charleeturner.blogspot.com

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Quilt Mom View Post
    For the individual looking for Lostn51 and the individual who seems to think he is purposely not returning machines, this quote was taken from his last post on the board. He has some serious health problems, and has completed things as able. But he probably not available to help us now.

"Okay I am dropping in for a second to let everyone know that I will be finished with all of your machines by next week. ... I will try to send out emails and PM's when they go out to give you a heads up but I am just glad to be finished finally.

Billy"

Sar73, did you post the serial number on your machine, so we can help you find a manual?

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Quilt Mom!!! I typed and cancelled and typed and cancelled and bit my tongue til it's raw to keep from being "un-nice" about why Billy isn't here anymore. Just can't leave the poor man alone!! I know if I were him, I'd not be on either of these forums anymore. Sad to see him gone, but sure do understand his choice.
    And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love Him, who have been called according to His purpose. Romans 8:28

Randa