Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 08-23-2011, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by Miz Johnny
Half case Wheeler and Wilson; probably a 4 or 5. I have one in my basement. . . .
Originally Posted by jljack
So here's a really interesting looking machine on CL at the California coast. Can't tell what it is from the pictures, but looks VERY InTeresting!! The top folds back to make a shelf? Can't really tell. But I can tell from the treadle that it's OLD!!

http://slo.craigslist.org/atq/2552187797.html

What do you think?
Cool!! I don't have the $$$ right now.....someone in CA want it?
Old 08-23-2011, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by grannysewer
This is my latest pretty. A friend gave her to me since she needed the space.
Nice Rocketeer!!
Old 08-23-2011, 02:40 PM

Hello, vsm gurus! I had started a thread (http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-147321-1.htm) about this machine I was given today and got some great info- enough to get me wondering about some OTHER stuff... I now know that my machine is a 128, made in 1940.

After a little research I have figured out that has the crinkle finish- which I mistakenly thought was a bad finish at first because it looks so dull compared to my 201 but now I know better. I personally prefer the shiny finish- I have been known to play with tin foil... ;)- but some people like the "Godzilla" finish so I won't paint it as I was kind of thinking about doing.

And I thought that the parts that were supposed to be chrome were tarnished, but they are- maybe? blackside? There is some significant damage to the wood- not sure how to fix that. Is it repairable with wood putty?

The two throat plates are also the blackside finish, but have a little rust on them- not in perfect condition, but totally useable- I do intend to use this machine as long as the bobbins don't run out too fast. (They look like they don't hold much thread.)

So, is it true that a blackside with the crinkle finish is harder to come by? I am not worried about value- this is a family hand-me-down, but I thought it would be nice to tell my MIL and aunt-IL what I have learned about it. And if it is actually one of the more rare finishes, well, I won't paint it. :)
Attached Thumbnails attachment-245882.jpe   attachment-245883.jpe   attachment-245884.jpe  
Old 08-23-2011, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by miriam
Originally Posted by grayhare
It is funny how you can go from crazy high prices, to something like this.
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/atq/2562192978.html
If I was out there I would break my neck getting there and then I'd have whiplash getting money out of my pocket...
Me too! I'm out here, but a little south, and this weekend....no $$$!!! :cry:
Old 08-23-2011, 02:45 PM
Banned

Lisa that is a Blackside 128 and you have the original type of blackside which makes it more desirable in my opinion. The blackside it a bluing agent like they used on guns, so do not try to polish it because you will ruin the finish. Sewing machine oil is about the only thing I would use on them to keep them shiny or a good grade of gun oil.

Billy
Old 08-23-2011, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by Lisa T
Hello, vsm gurus! I had started a thread (http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-147321-1.htm) about this machine I was given today and got some great info- enough to get me wondering about some OTHER stuff... I now know that my machine is a 128, made in 1940.

After a little research I have figured out that has the crinkle finish- which I mistakenly thought was a bad finish at first because it looks so dull compared to my 201 but now I know better. I personally prefer the shiny finish- I have been known to play with tin foil... ;)- but some people like the "Godzilla" finish so I won't paint it as I was kind of thinking about doing.

And I thought that the parts that were supposed to be chrome were tarnished, but they are- maybe? blackside? There is some significant damage to the wood- not sure how to fix that. Is it repairable with wood putty?

The two throat plates are also the blackside finish, but have a little rust on them- not in perfect condition, but totally useable- I do intend to use this machine as long as the bobbins don't run out too fast. (They look like they don't hold much thread.)

So, is it true that a blackside with the crinkle finish is harder to come by? I am not worried about value- this is a family hand-me-down, but I thought it would be nice to tell my MIL and aunt-IL what I have learned about it. And if it is actually one of the more rare finishes, well, I won't paint it. :)
I recently got one of these to give to my DGD because it's 3/4 size. I haven't spent any time looking it over, but I agree they are cool looking with the blackside & Godzilla finishes!!
Old 08-23-2011, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by jljack
I wonder if you could take it to a weld shop and have it repaired
They are easily found at the online parts stores, and not expensive.
I wonder if JB Weld would hold it together?
Miriam, I hope that you are on line and feeling better as I recall you were starting back to work I think? How's the itching?

I thought about JB but not sure it will hold as it may be stressed when you push down to engage the tire onto the handwheel. But I may try it.

Thank you for the great information on basic trouble shooting. If I can ever get a machine back together totally and in a cabinet to try sewing I am sure it will come in handy. :-)
Old 08-23-2011, 03:57 PM

I have the same machine from the 40's and I really like it. It is great for piecing. I treadle mine and even sometimes use the HC with it when camping. Glenn
Old 08-23-2011, 05:06 PM

You know, I don't usually go for the Godzilla finish, but with those black side plates it's really pretty. The only one I saw 'in the field' was really greasy and grimey and not pretty at all - it was a New Home - nothing fancy, nothing pretty, plain rusty plates and an icky motor. Needless to say, it stayed right at the garage sale I found it (it was more than I would have wanted to pay, anyways.) Again - yours is really pretty - that I could go for!
Old 08-23-2011, 05:10 PM

Here it is on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vtg-Singer-S...item23134a2e92

Hope springs eternal. . . .

Shoot, I'd be listing everything I owned if I could get those prices!!
[I wasn't trying to track you down or anything. I simply google searched on CL and it came up...
you and me both. I'd be in hog heaven if I got that for any of mine :lol:
I have a 401A I'd love to sell for that price! In a much nicer cabinet!! With all the cams, the manual and many extras!