Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 01-25-2011, 09:55 PM

I've been told not to use Schmetz in my FW or my 66, so can I use them on my Singers?

Marie M.[/quote]

I use Schmetz needles in my FWs and all of my machines that use the 15x1 needles, I've never had a problem. They are the best needles I've found.
Sharon W.
Old 01-26-2011, 03:16 AM

Is the term "grasshopper" used for all green machines or just Elna? I have a green vintage machine, too, but not that brand. I think grasshopper fits her perfectly! LOL!
Old 01-26-2011, 05:30 AM

Originally Posted by Randa
Is the term "grasshopper" used for all green machines or just Elna? I have a green vintage machine, too, but not that brand. I think grasshopper fits her perfectly! LOL!
Randa ... show us a picture! I don't know about the term being used for others.... .
Old 01-26-2011, 08:37 AM

INTEReStING. So the Schmetz don't quite fit the 301. Well... that's good to know. I'm hoping to get a 301 in the cabinet, so that I can come and 'go' too. I just need something to transport her in. Like a case. May check out one of those soft side, cheapo rolling things like at Joannes. And sew up a set of fleece 'bags' for the contoller/footpedal, the attachments and a machine bag... to put it all in before stowing in the roll-e, poll-e.

Thanks for the tip![/quote]

301 cases (by themselves) occasionally pop up on eBay. Keep an eye out.
Old 01-26-2011, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by MarieM
I've been told not to use Schmetz in my FW or my 66, so can I use them on my Singers?

Marie M.
I use Schmetz needles in all 3 of my FW's and in my 66, 15-88, my 127, my Rocketeer, all three of my Pfaffs, my Janome, my Free treadle, my 99K's, my 28, the White's, my HQ 16, -- everything, but the Singer 9W, Wheeler & Whilson machine, and the Davis Vertical Feed. Those last 3 machines take a special needle!

I wouldn't use anything else!

Nancy
Old 01-26-2011, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Nancy, If you are being careful by working around the decals while using the TR3, then you are only protecting the non-decal part of the machine, japan. How do you plan to protect the decals? I think Carter Bays does have a good idea, but then some pollutants can eat away at the decals too. Don't know what is in that dirt sitting on the machines.

I'm still researching, and thinking.
I am putting a light coat of TR3 on the decals to protect them. Actually, I found a decal on the very back end of my Davis when cleaning with the TR3 that I did not even know was there. It got cleaned and polished with the TR3 and now I atleast have that decal intact! I am just being very careful to not clean much on the decals. I am cleaning them lightly and then cleaning the rest of the machine till it glows. Love the way my Redeye is beginning to look! Lot's of work like Miz Johnny said, but worth it! I learned my lesson! I will have to take out stock in cotton balls! I used a whole big bag yesterday to make sure I didn't wipe anything with a dirty cotton ball!

Nancy

Ps Love your new Avatar Davis!
Old 01-26-2011, 12:25 PM

Made my trip to see the Davis VF and brought it home. The cabinet is pretty much beyond saving but we are going to try to take the piece that hold the machine off the top of the cabinet and install it on another cabinet and use the irons off the Davis too. Also got a slick little 99k in a nice case. Got lucky today. Did stop at a flea market and they had 2 really old ornate machines in cabinets and one parlor cabinet and all 3 had been left outside and all were totally ruined. Made me sick but what can you do? Was too tired to take pics but will do that before we begin the process of cleaning and reconstrucing the cabinet.
Old 01-26-2011, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by Weedwoman
Made my trip to see the Davis VF and brought it home. The cabinet is pretty much beyond saving but we are going to try to take the piece that hold the machine off the top of the cabinet and install it on another cabinet and use the irons off the Davis too. Also got a slick little 99k in a nice case. Got lucky today. Did stop at a flea market and they had 2 really old ornate machines in cabinets and one parlor cabinet and all 3 had been left outside and all were totally ruined. Made me sick but what can you do? Was too tired to take pics but will do that before we begin the process of cleaning and reconstrucing the cabinet.
Congratulations on your new machines. I can't wait to see pictures!

Nancy
Old 01-26-2011, 02:52 PM

I did date the 99k, it was born on june 4th, 1957. Thanks for the congrats. I am trying to figure out just where I'm gonna put the Davis. I'm totally running out of room. Guess we'll have to learn to sleep hanging like bats from the rafters to make more space.
Old 01-26-2011, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by Weedwoman
I did date the 99k, it was born on june 4th, 1957. Thanks for the congrats. I am trying to figure out just where I'm gonna put the Davis. I'm totally running out of room. Guess we'll have to learn to sleep hanging like bats from the rafters to make more space.
Just make a couple rows of treadles and put your mattress on top!! LOL