Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 01-06-2011, 02:31 PM

Yeah for you Nancy!!!!
Old 01-06-2011, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Ok Trish, Vintagemotif, and Miz Johnny I GOT MY DAVIS VERTICAL FEED TO SEW!!!!!!!!!! YIPPPPPEEEEEEEEE!

And guess what, it is great for FMQ'ing because it does not have feed dogs you can just sew in circles and everywhich way!

Nancy
Yeah! I knew you would get it working! Great new! It is also good for binding work( that is what I read). So what was the problem that was causing you not to get it to work? I bet it is fun to play with. Have fun!
Old 01-06-2011, 02:41 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by fabric whisperer
what info is there for the Minnesota machines? Not sure of model or anything, considering going to look at this tomorrow or Saturday... She also has a White maching/cabinet, and a Singer table (no drawers)
These would need some serious TLC to fixup, not sure if they are worth it? I've never heard of Minnesota, she just mentioned she had one... all 3 are treadles...
This article has a lot of information on the various machines that were sold by Sears as Minnesota. They were made by different manufacturers over the years, including Davis.

http://www.ismacs.net/sears/sears.html
Old 01-06-2011, 03:20 PM

Ok Trish, Vintagemotif, and Miz Johnny I GOT MY DAVIS VERTICAL FEED TO SEW!!!!!!!!!! YIPPPPPEEEEEEEEE!

And guess what, it is great for FMQ'ing because it does not have feed dogs you can just sew in circles and everywhich way!

Nancy
Ok Nancy what was the problem you were having? I can see you doing the happy dance right now. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 01-06-2011, 04:08 PM

Another vintage machine followed me home today. It is a Singer, serial #AH926813, which makes it a 15 but I believe a 15-91. What I saw when I got it home is that it is missing the spool holder on top of the machine but it does have the one for winding the bobbin. She needs some TLC, who doesn't?, but otherwise appears to be in good shape. I bought her from a gal who actually sewed on her. It was her grandmother's machine. No, I didn't ask her if she was sure she wanted to sell the machine. Her birthdate is Nov 29, 1948. She came with a cabinet. The presser foot is a little bar that slides out of the bottom of the cabinet. No manual but loads of accessories including an almost pristine blind hem stitch attachment. Also a manual for the buttonholer which I'm not sure was with the other attachments.
What can I do about the lack of the thread holder on top besides using one of those that run it from a cone?
No special decals - just nice scrolls on her.
Old 01-06-2011, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by chris_quilts
Another vintage machine followed me home today. It is a Singer, serial #AH926813, which makes it a 15 but I believe a 15-91. .

Maybe this will help determine model...it compares 15s based on their bobbins
http://www.needlebar.org/main~nb/15chart/index.html

And here's a great review on 15-91
http://blog.sew-classic.com/2008/10/...ne-review.aspx
Old 01-06-2011, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by whenpigsfly
Another vintage machine followed me home today. It is a Singer, serial #AH926813, which makes it a 15 but I believe a 15-91. .

Maybe this will help determine model...it compares 15s based on their bobbins
http://www.needlebar.org/main~nb/15chart/index.html

And here's a great review on 15-91
http://blog.sew-classic.com/2008/10/...ne-review.aspx
Thanks for the info. When I can get at to look at it more closely, this will definitely help. :)
Old 01-06-2011, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif

Yeah! I knew you would get it working! Great new! It is also good for binding work( that is what I read). So what was the problem that was causing you not to get it to work? I bet it is fun to play with. Have fun!
The problem I think was operator error! I started switching needles, playing with that little knob right behind the head of the machine to regulate the stitch -- re-did all the threading and shuttle. It started to hickup sew, and I kept playing with that stitch regulator knob and it just took off! Now, Betty is in the house. I had to take the cabinet my Model 127 Sphinx was in outside to the garage. I am going to switch my Redeye and the Sphinx in the Redeye cabinet to which ever one I want to use! I guess, I will get like Billy and just keep the cabinets that are in the best shape and switch heads on the machines that are interchangeable!

I have been playing with Betty all day. She will be great for FMQing -- no feed dogs to worry about, and that vertical feed foot actually acts like a free motion foot (hopping foot) except it also feeds the fabric. It actually will free motion quilt evenly like you are using a stitch regulator because you don't have to disingage the feed!

Nancy
Old 01-06-2011, 05:07 PM

Nancy
Happy for you Nancy. Enjoy !
Old 01-06-2011, 05:59 PM

Question: Has anyone talked to an insurance person about the antiquity/antiqueness of their sewing machines? I did today and was told that their value depends upon their collectibility and desirability. Now I have a couple that are rarer, also a requirement, perhaps than others but am unsure of how to proceed from here. I have one that is stamped "Made in Occupied Japan" and I have a National Two-Spool treadle which is complete and has a box of accessories/feet. He was unconvinced by my logic about their rarity. I don't know what to do about the insurance on the machines. Does anyone have any thoughts or ideas about this? Thanks. :)
Here's the thing--though most of us consider our machines to be priceless, the rest of the world could basically care less. There are a few truly rare and truly worth-a-lot-of-bucks models, but they are mostly in private collections such as Carter Bays or Harry I-Can't-Remember-His-Last-Name in Charlotte. The rest of us have fairly common machines. Every so often, two bidders will get in a war over something on Ebay, and a common machine will sell for some outrageous price. We all shake our heads and wonder, but that doesn't mean we can sell OUR machines for that price. Off the top of my head, I can think of two machines that I have that might spark a bidding war on Ebay. Those two machines are the 431G, a German version of the 400/403 machines with a free arm, and a Singer VS I treadle. Even so, the 431G would probably only go for $500 tops and the VS I is anyone's guess. Maybe $100, maybe $600, depending on who wants it and who is close enough to get it.

Most people want Singers and will pay more because they're recognizable, but it's rare to get more than $150 for a decent treadle. I have seen Two Spool machines and Davis VF machines go unsold at collectors' gatherings, because they're common enough that if we want one, we find one.

Just my two cents worth, and that's ALL it's worth.