Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 01-06-2011, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by Cindy Lou Who

Course, this would be second on the list because I want to go play with the girls when we all meet at Miz Johnny's place for her cleaning, rearranging, story telling event she wants to hold for us. This is the one where Susan Margaret from Columbus will join in too - we'll be Miz Johnny's slave labor for the day if she just lets us get a pinky toe in her basement!! :lol:
Cindy
You'll have to wait until Miz Johnny can get in the basement. It's a hard hat area right now!
Old 01-06-2011, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Originally Posted by Miz Johnny

I just need to know what needles to look for?
Nancy

Is it gold in color? I had one a few years back, but got rid of it as the needles are nearly impossible to find.
No Miz Johnny, it is black, but the needles are short. There is a guide on the machine itself as to the length of the needle.

Do you know what size I need to start looking for, or what they are called? How to start a search for the correct needle?

Nancy
If it's the NLB needles, they are very hard to find, and probably only by doing a lot of searching online. There are some other numbers for them, but I don't know where that information is off-hand--when I come across it, I will post it.
Some people will tell you that the Singer 206 x 13 needles are the same, but they are not.
Old 01-06-2011, 06:17 PM

Hey, thanks everyone for their response. The web site had great tips on it, and I will need to replace the cord. There was a part with it I don't recognize- maybe a quilt holder? it looks like a sleeve garter with 6 round hook looking things that move. Too tired to do a pic right now! Also, funky looking tweezers with a small hook on one side, and two pieces on the other side with numbers with increments if 8ths going up to 8.
My Son can replace the cord, so looks like I'll have to find a space for her in my Art Studio! I'm sure I'll have more questions once I get her going! Thanks again everyone...
Sally
Old 01-06-2011, 06:18 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by chris_quilts
Question: Has anyone talked to an insurance person about the antiquity/antiqueness of their sewing machines? I did today and was told that their value depends upon their collectibility and desirability. Now I have a couple that are rarer, also a requirement, perhaps than others but am unsure of how to proceed from here. I have one that is stamped "Made in Occupied Japan" and I have a National Two-Spool treadle which is complete and has a box of accessories/feet. He was unconvinced by my logic about their rarity. I don't know what to do about the insurance on the machines. Does anyone have any thoughts or ideas about this? Thanks. :)
Here's the thing--though most of us consider our machines to be priceless, the rest of the world could basically care less. There are a few truly rare and truly worth-a-lot-of-bucks models, but they are mostly in private collections such as Carter Bays or Harry I-Can't-Remember-His-Last-Name in Charlotte. The rest of us have fairly common machines. Every so often, two bidders will get in a war over something on Ebay, and a common machine will sell for some outrageous price. We all shake our heads and wonder, but that doesn't mean we can sell OUR machines for that price. Off the top of my head, I can think of two machines that I have that might spark a bidding war on Ebay. Those two machines are the 431G, a German version of the 400/403 machines with a free arm, and a Singer VS I treadle. Even so, the 431G would probably only go for $500 tops and the VS I is anyone's guess. Maybe $100, maybe $600, depending on who wants it and who is close enough to get it.

Most people want Singers and will pay more because they're recognizable, but it's rare to get more than $150 for a decent treadle. I have seen Two Spool machines and Davis VF machines go unsold at collectors' gatherings, because they're common enough that if we want one, we find one.

Just my two cents worth, and that's ALL it's worth.
Miz Johnny, I thoroughly agree. I bought a few machines because I was interested in tinkering with them, cleaning them up, sewing a little, learning about them. Except for my featherweight, I never paid more than $50 and seldom that much. Lately I am watching the asking prices on craigslist go up and up in my area, but I don't think most of those machines are selling, at least not anywhere near the asking price. (Some of them reappear month after month, sometimes with the same price, often with a lower price.) The typical ad says something like "not sure what this is, but I know it's rare and valuable". Since craigslist has no mechanism to report back on what sold, and at what price, everyone seems to assume that they will be able to get the prices they see there.

So that's another 2 cents worth. Pretty soon somebody will see this and think that their opinion is worth 5 cents, and off we go. Soon opinions will be offered on craigslist at ever-higher prices.
Old 01-06-2011, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Originally Posted by petpainter
Oh no, I didn't mean I would get rid of the featherweight! Silly me worded that wrong! She's on my sewing :dresser" so I can just look at her every day and dust her! It's the one in the cabinet. I would keep all the featherweights I could find and even shelve them...not sure if I even have wall space left, but I'd work it out LOL!
Sally
To keep your 15-91 or not is the question. The answer is YES! Why, for FM quilting or straight-stitch quilting. The harp space is larger than most modern machines (which makes it wonderful to quilt large quilts), makes a beautiful straight-stitch, easy to service (don't need to take it to be serviced), and parts are easy to find at this moment in time. I had two 15-91s. Sold one to a lady who had her FW, but wanted a 15-91 for quilting just because of the harp space. It could be the next big rage after the FWs. So, the FW will be the machine to take to classes, and the 15-91 will be the at home machine. Stop dusting that FW and start using it- you will love the stitches.

Forgot to mention that it will sew through almost anything! Sews through leather and great for hemming jeans.
Sorry, I'm new...should have sent my e-mail this way!
Sally
Old 01-06-2011, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by petpainter
Hi, I just found this blog which is wonderful. . . Just before the holidays I acquired a Singer 15-91 reversible feed in the cabinet. . . . I have also featherweight- is this model worth hanging on to? I haven't seen anything written about it, just what I've found online. I'm a bit space challenged. . . ?
Sally
I love all the comments on this! Just to let you know, I sold my Featherweight and table last fall, but will NEVER let my 15-91 go!! (Unless one of my girls learns to sew. Nah.)
Old 01-06-2011, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by whenpigsfly
Originally Posted by fabric whisperer
what info is there for the Minnesota machines? ...

What is that propeller-looking thingee on top of the Minnesota?
It's the leaf tension. I love those--so easy to adjust the tension!!
Old 01-06-2011, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by whenpigsfly
Originally Posted by fabric whisperer
what info is there for the Minnesota machines? ...

Look at this...! They were made by Davis!
http://www.metrowestdailynews.com/li...sewing-machine
Made by several different companies.
Old 01-06-2011, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by dunster
Question: Has anyone talked to an insurance person about the antiquity/antiqueness of their sewing machines? I did today and was told that their value depends upon their collectibility and desirability. Now I have a couple that are rarer, also a requirement, perhaps than others but am unsure of how to proceed from here. I have one that is stamped "Made in Occupied Japan" and I have a National Two-Spool treadle which is complete and has a box of accessories/feet. He was unconvinced by my logic about their rarity. I don't know what to do about the insurance on the machines. Does anyone have any thoughts or ideas about this? Thanks. :)
Here's the thing--though most of us consider our machines to be priceless, the rest of the world could basically care less. There are a few truly rare and truly worth-a-lot-of-bucks models, but they are mostly in private collections such as Carter Bays or Harry I-Can't-Remember-His-Last-Name in Charlotte. The rest of us have fairly common machines. Every so often, two bidders will get in a war over something on Ebay, and a common machine will sell for some outrageous price. We all shake our heads and wonder, but that doesn't mean we can sell OUR machines for that price. Off the top of my head, I can think of two machines that I have that might spark a bidding war on Ebay. Those two machines are the 431G, a German version of the 400/403 machines with a free arm, and a Singer VS I treadle. Even so, the 431G would probably only go for $500 tops and the VS I is anyone's guess. Maybe $100, maybe $600, depending on who wants it and who is close enough to get it.

Most people want Singers and will pay more because they're recognizable, but it's rare to get more than $150 for a decent treadle. I have seen Two Spool machines and Davis VF machines go unsold at collectors' gatherings, because they're common enough that if we want one, we find one.

Miz Johnny, I thoroughly agree. I bought a few machines because I was interested in tinkering with them, cleaning them up, sewing a little, learning about them. Except for my featherweight, I never paid more than $50 and seldom that much. Lately I am watching the asking prices on craigslist go up and up in my area, but I don't think most of those machines are selling, at least not anywhere near the asking price. (Some of them reappear month after month, sometimes with the same price, often with a lower price.) The typical ad says something like "not sure what this is, but I know it's rare and valuable". Since craigslist has no mechanism to report back on what sold, and at what price, everyone seems to assume that they will be able to get the prices they see there.

So that's another 2 cents worth. Pretty soon somebody will see this and think that their opinion is worth 5 cents, and off we go. Soon opinions will be offered on craigslist at ever-higher prices.
I am the original poster and thanks for your thoughts. Was just curious about this topic and glad Miz Johhny replied. I agree that pretty soon opinions will be listed on CL for 5 or 10 cents or whatever the market will bear. Thanks again.
Old 01-06-2011, 06:27 PM

Thanks for your 2 cents worth. I had hoped to hear from you, or Billy, or someone else with a large collection. Thanks again.