Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 01-04-2011, 05:28 PM

[quote=Crossstitcher]
Originally Posted by Pins n' Ndls

Don't throw it away. Offer it on the board for free plus shipping. I am sure someone will want her.

:cry: :cry:
Or just use it to decorate your sewing room. Many have vintage machines that they do not use, but the machines are sitting on shelves with their books and fabrics. I love that look, along with the mini quilts on the walls. I have a couple of machines on my bookcases. Some need new parts to get them running, but I'm not interested in spending the money for that at this moment in time.
Old 01-04-2011, 05:30 PM

Location: Ohio... wanna build a cabin in the woods and live off the land... and quilt all day!

I am drooling looking at you model 27 in the treadle cabinet. I have a model 27 machine but no cabinet. Having waited this long I am now giving her up . Going out in trash tomorrow. It's killing me but she has to go. So SAD.
NOOOOOO! Don't throw it out!!! I am sure that someone here will want it and would gladly pay you shipping!!! Heck, let me check with hubby, I saw another treadle cabinet near me for $20 - cabinet only... OMG if that machine would fit on that cabinet, my daughter could have her own, and we would pay shipping costs... NO Please DON'T just throw it out, these ladies are wonderful!!!
Old 01-04-2011, 05:59 PM

Fabric Whisperer,
Can I ask what the creature sitting on your scissors is? I'd vote for most unusual pet found in a sewing room that I've seen so far! Helomonster?? Please educate me - it's always amazing to me what I can learn here in the shop!
Cindy
Old 01-04-2011, 06:32 PM

I am drooling looking at you model 27 in the treadle cabinet. I have a model 27 machine but no cabinet. Having waited this long I am now giving her up . Going out in trash tomorrow. It's killing me but she has to go. So SAD.

PLEASE DON'T throw it away!!
As someone else said, you'll have plenty of takers if you just list it for free in Classifieds on this site. But PLEASE don't toss it.
Old 01-04-2011, 06:43 PM

Location: Ohio... wanna build a cabin in the woods and live off the land... and quilt all day!

Originally Posted by Cindy Lou Who
Fabric Whisperer,
Can I ask what the creature sitting on your scissors is? I'd vote for most unusual pet found in a sewing room that I've seen so far! Helomonster?? Please educate me - it's always amazing to me what I can learn here in the shop!
Cindy
He's one of my 5 bearded dragons ~ he is our first ever, he's about 3 years old now... and absolute sweetheart, a cuddler, and he LOVES to sit on my sewing table and "help me"... actually, just inspect my work by tasting it every so often :) I am curious what he'll do when we get the treadle up-n-running! He just loves to hang out with me, he is just a couple inches shy of 2-ft. long, weighs about 1.5 pounds. He's a chunk, but I love him :) (his name is Crash because he runs around the room and crashes into stuff, i.e. couch/piano/us)

I was making pet blankies that day, and he came to investigate my "stuff" -- the picture was just too precious to pass up
Old 01-04-2011, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif

You are not throwing a machine out?! Why? Must be someone around that will take the machine.
No one local is interested. I will try to donate it . Thanks for caring.
Old 01-04-2011, 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by fabric whisperer
Fabric Whisperer,
Cindy
He's one of my 5 bearded dragons ~ he is our first ever, he's about 3 years old now... and absolute sweetheart, a cuddler, and he LOVES to sit on my sewing table and "help me"... actually, just inspect my work by tasting it every so often :) I am curious what he'll do when we get the treadle up-n-running! He just loves to hang out with me, he is just a couple inches shy of 2-ft. long, weighs about 1.5 pounds. He's a chunk, but I love him :) (his name is Crash because he runs around the room and crashes into stuff, i.e. couch/piano/us)

I was making pet blankies that day, and he came to investigate my "stuff" -- the picture was just too precious to pass up
Oh my goodness - you mean that is an actual living breathing animal? I thought it was a toy. WOW. Amazing. My GD would love it (she's 18).
Old 01-05-2011, 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by Crossstitcher
Well we went and picked up our two new orphans today. One is a 1919 Red Eye and the other is a Davis Vertical Feed. I have a number that is on the bobbin plate of the VF which is 1088859, and the last date listed on the bobbin plate is May 12,1886. Don't know how to date the machine Nancy do you have any idea how to look it up. Both machines took right off sewing. The belt is broke on the VD but I tried it out just turning the wheel by hand. They are really dirty but I think will clean up nicely.
Trish could you post a better picture of the Davis and the cabinet? I think I have the same machine, but mine is missing a thread guide near the tension disk? I really need a picture of the whole machine and a close up of the head. Also can you post a picture with the shuttle plate open and the exact fit and orientation of the shuttle when it is in the machine? Did you say your shuttle said Davis on it?

I am so envious that your Davis worked right away! I do have the correct needles now -- managed to finally get a few tubes, but still have the wrong shuttles (I think).

Is your pitman wood? I will go look at my Davis serial number today. Mine in between 1886 and 1890. What a lucky find you got with both machines! I also love my Redeye!

Nancy
Old 01-05-2011, 06:26 AM

Oh and Trish, my Davis is posted on page 474 if you want to compare the two machines to see the differences?

Nancy
Old 01-05-2011, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by burnsk
Can I ask what the creature sitting on your scissors is?
Originally Posted by fabric whisperer
He's one of my 5 bearded dragons ~
Oh my goodness - you mean that is an actual living breathing animal? I thought it was a toy. WOW. Amazing. My GD would love it (she's 18).
They are great companions, they have the lifespans of dogs & cats (with proper care), they don't get fur anywhere (scales are another story), and they are healthy eaters (fruits & veggies & live bugs). One of our girls, you can find asleep on daddy's shoulder 1/2 the time.

This is "Psycho" ~ I am currently trying to gather all the shades to recreate this pic as a quilt center... (they flare their beards if they get spooked or feel threatened)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]153830[/ATTACH]

After an hour of free-roaming, I usually find them under the leg of my Grace quiltframe ... FAST asleep!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]153831[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-153824.jpe   attachment-153825.jpe   attachment-153826.jpe