Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 11-19-2010, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Nancy,
I found you another machine! I think this is one of the Davis Vertical Feed machines.
http://sacramento.craigslist.org/atq/2066077651.html

If the machine is a vertical feed and if you don't own one of these, you may want to go after this one. I understand that they are nice for sewing on bindings, sewing with flannels, and thick layers.

This one looks like it take the Boyle needles while the younger of these Davis Vertical Feed takes a 15x1.
http://www.kelsew.info/domestic/davisVFmodels.html

So many interesting vintage machines out there, and all would be fun to play with. :)
Wow, that machine looks just like the VF2 pictured toward the bottom of the list. I didn't even know there was a vertical feed machine. That would be very interesting to play with!

Does anyone have one of these Vertical Feed type machines?

Nancy
Nancy, if you get it and don't like it I will buy it from you. You might have to store it for awhile before I can plan a trip up north or one of my friends coming this way.

I don't have one but it is on the wish list. I hear they are great. Like a machine with a built in walking foot.
Old 11-19-2010, 08:09 PM

Okay, I fell off the machine diet today. Went to estate sale and was going to look at the treadle listed....but ended up with machine with a tail. I don't have room for another cabinet so got them to sell me the machine and all stuff in the drawers for $35. Here is my new Slant-O-Matic 500A. It has the sales receipt so was purchased in Norfolk, VA on Sep 18, 1962 for $304.40 It was a 533 cabinet listed on receipt.

She purrs like a kitten. But there was no bobbin with it. Does anyone know if it uses a standard bobbin? It doesn't say the type in the manual.

Only issue with initial look is need the top hinge pin for the face plate, clutch will not disengage and missing the detacable spool pin. Is there a secret to get the top to stay closed?
Attached Thumbnails attachment-129856.jpe   attachment-129857.jpe  
Old 11-19-2010, 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by Miz Johnny
Does anyone have one of these Vertical Feed type machines?

Nancy
But of course!! I have one--they're great for straight-line quilting and putting on binding.
Way cool!
Which one of the Davis Vertical Feed do you own, older or younger?
I like those misfit machines.
I have a "middle-aged" one--not one of the old Watertown, NY ones, but one made in Dayton that takes long needles.
Old 11-19-2010, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by quilt addict
She purrs like a kitten. But there was no bobbin with it. Does anyone know if it uses a standard bobbin? It doesn't say the type in the manual.
It takes a class 66 bobbin.
Old 11-19-2010, 10:04 PM

Wow! You found that machine in that color? Wow, Again! That is pretty awesome! Do you have any idea who did that paint job?

Nancy
All I know is his first name is Bill and he's an OSMG
(old sewing machine guy) and he used to work for Singer in the 60s and he enjoys rehabbing machines and selling them. I have sewn a bit with the purple New Home, didn't enjoy it though.
Old 11-19-2010, 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by quilt addict
Okay, I fell off the machine diet today. Went to estate sale and was going to look at the treadle listed....but ended up with machine with a tail. I don't have room for another cabinet so got them to sell me the machine and all stuff in the drawers for $35. Here is my new Slant-O-Matic 500A. It has the sales receipt so was purchased in Norfolk, VA on Sep 18, 1962 for $304.40 It was a 533 cabinet listed on receipt.

Only issue with initial look is need the top hinge pin for the face plate, clutch will not disengage and missing the detacable spool pin. Is there a secret to get the top to stay closed?
It takes a class 66 bobbin, try to find some vintage bobbins as some of the ones being made now are crappy and just don't work very well. Also sometimes the hole in the center of the bobbin is too small to fit on the bobbin winder on the vintage machines.
I used to own one of these and just didn't like it at all. I sold it to someone who just loves it.
Old 11-19-2010, 11:08 PM

Quilt Addict,
You bought one of those Jane Jetsons machines. Every time I see one of these machines I think of the Jetsons.
Have fun with it!
Old 11-19-2010, 11:17 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by purplefiend
My 66-1 Louts is fun to sew with, but my all time favorite is the 201 treadle. Mr. Two Spools is wonderful, but he doesn't purr like the 201, more like a constant gallop. The 66 is in-between those two, she purrs just a bit louder than the 201.
I love my Singer 201-4(now a treadle), its the quietest treadle I own. I do think the 201 spoiled me, I've tried my
New Home VS and I don't like the tick-tick it makes. Apparently its normal, just gets on my nerves. :( Its been repainted, the machine was a mess, I didn't do the repaint; bought it cuz its purple. :-D[/quote]

I replaced my Singer 66 Red Eye treadle with a Singer 201-3 that was made into a treadle. (took the potted motor off) I also love the way it handles and have no intentions to put the Red eye in again. I am sold on the 201 as my main treadle head. Very smooth.
Old 11-19-2010, 11:21 PM
Power Poster

Ok you guys that quilt with your 15-88, 15-90, 15-91's do you use a 1/4 inch foot or do you just use mole skin, painter's tape or something similiar to make a 1/4 mark so your piecing is accurate? I am pretty sure there were no 1/4 feet originally for these machines, at least not for the 15-88, which I have?

Nancy
I use a quarter inch foot Singer 15-91. I even have a 1/4 inch foot for my treadle.
Old 11-20-2010, 07:09 AM

Quilt Addict,
You bought one of those Jane Jetsons machines. Every time I see one of these machines I think of the Jetsons.
Have fun with it!
Love the design--the nickname for this machine is the "Rocketeer"! It was one of these machines that helped send me down the path to 150 sewing machines. And I still have this one.