Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 10-05-2010, 03:51 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Nancy
You will need class 66 bobbins for your Red Eye. Rule for selecting bobbins: metal machine- metal bobbins, plastic machine- plastic bobbins.
Don't buy the metal bobbins from JoAnns because they aren't the correct shape. You can purchase some metal 66s from Sew-Classic.
Or you can go to Walmart and they carry the Singer brand Metal bobbins for .97 for a 4 pack. I found these while I was bopping around going to the sporting goods dept for ammo.

Billy
Old 10-05-2010, 03:58 PM

Nancy,
Here are what the bobbins look like for the Singer 66 and Singer 15.
The bobbins on the right are for Singer 15; both are flat; one on top is new and one on bottom is old. The bobbins on the left are for Singer 66; both are curved or domed; top bobbin is new and bottom one is old.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-105028.jpe  
Old 10-05-2010, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Nancy
You will need class 66 bobbins for your Red Eye. Rule for selecting bobbins: metal machine- metal bobbins, plastic machine- plastic bobbins.
Don't buy the metal bobbins from JoAnns because they aren't the correct shape. You can purchase some metal 66s from Sew-Classic.
Or you can go to Walmart and they carry the Singer brand Metal bobbins for .97 for a 4 pack. I found these while I was bopping around going to the sporting goods dept for ammo.

Billy
Were they the 15 class or the 66 class?
IF these bobbins are anything like the ones that JoAnn sells for the class 66, then most likely most of them will not work. I bought a package from JoAnns for my Singer 66 and only one worked. I didn't try Walmart, instead I went to the local sewing machine shop. I haven't had any problems with the class 15 bobbins. Next time I'll try Walmart and see if those work. Thanks for the info.
Old 10-05-2010, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by Miz Johnny
Originally Posted by Love my stash

I have a 15 almost identical to yours. The only differences I see is that I have a small plate on mine that says '15', my wheel is all black, and mine was made in 1955. I wish I could find a cabinet for it. There were no accessories, so I'm in the hunt for the book, feet and needles.
Are you looking for a treadle or electric cabinet?
It would need to be an electric cabinet or a table top.

Cheryl
Old 10-05-2010, 04:44 PM

Nancy said:

Well according to this I have a 15-88 because mine is a 1939 with a spoked hand wheel and it is a treadle!

I turned my 15-90 into a treadle by changing wheels and putting the head into a treadle cabinet. Glad I did, since I like FM quilting with the 15. Have fun with yours!
Old 10-05-2010, 05:01 PM

Nancy,
The bobbins on the right are for Singer 15; both are flat; one on top is new and one on bottom is old. The bobbins on the left are for Singer 66; both are curved or domed; top bobbin is new and bottom one is old.
Mine is just a straight '15' not a 15-something. As this was coming down the thread I saw the references go from one to the other. So am I to ASSUME that needles, attachments, bobbins etc, are the same for both. I am really confused now.

Cheryl
Old 10-05-2010, 05:17 PM

Sew much good info here.
Old 10-05-2010, 05:43 PM

Nancy,
Thank you Vintagemotif, the only Singer I have that actually has a domed typed bobbin is my 99K. That bobbin looks similar to the one you show. I tried it in the 66 and it doesn't work. I also tried the - supposedly - class 66's I got today from my sewing repair man, they don't work either because they look exactly like the bobbins for my 15-88. They are flat with lots of holes all around.

There is a very old sewing repair man near my Father-in-law that I know will know which bobbin I need. I will go see him this week.

Nancy
Old 10-05-2010, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by Love my stash

Mine is just a straight '15' not a 15-something. As this was coming down the thread I saw the references go from one to the other. So am I to ASSUME that needles, attachments, bobbins etc, are the same for both. I am really confused now.

Cheryl
Cheryl, I am sure someone else can answer this better than I can, but Singer tried to keep things uniform. I think the Model 15's are interchangeable.

Anyone else know for sure?

Nancy
Old 10-05-2010, 05:52 PM

I turned my 15-90 into a treadle by changing wheels and putting the head into a treadle cabinet. Glad I did, since I like FM quilting with the 15. Have fun with yours!
Well maybe I will change the places of my Redeye and my 15-88. Did you drop your feed dogs to FMQ on your 15? I am dying to try FMQing on one of my treadles. I thought the Redeye would be better as it is a little deeper in the throat than the 15-88.

I also have a Singer 9W that I could try, but I am not sure changing the stitch length to zero (as my repair man said) will work either. I tried that and my fabric catches on the feed dogs that are not completely dropped. I will have to loosen the pressure on the foot and loosen the thread tension a lot and try again.

Nancy