Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
  • Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >
  • Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

  • Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

    Old 10-05-2010, 09:18 PM
      #5801  
    Super Member
     
    Miz Johnny's Avatar
     
    Join Date: May 2010
    Location: Lexington, KY
    Posts: 1,222
    Default

    Originally Posted by BoJangles

    Back to bobbins, I thought Billy had told me that the Model 15 uses the bobbins that we can find at Wal Mart? The metal Singer Bobbins -- I may be wrong -- I need to go back and find that post! Anyway, I bought a bunch of those cheap bobbins and they work just fine on my Model 15-88.

    I went to my local sewing repair man today and asked him for some 'class 66' bobbins for my Redeye. What he gave me for my Redeye Model 66 - for a much higher price than Wal Mart - was the exact same thing I got from Wal Mart for the Model 15.

    Billy please comment on this post! We need your opinion!

    Nancy
    If you buy them on a card, they will actually say Class 66 or Class 15. I hate to say this, but will anyway. There are quite a few folks out there working in shops that have no idea there is a difference between a 15 and 66 bobbin. They are used to new machines and have little contact with the old ones--their job is to sell you a new one when you come in for repair.
    Miz Johnny is offline  
    Old 10-05-2010, 09:29 PM
      #5802  
    Super Member
     
    Miz Johnny's Avatar
     
    Join Date: May 2010
    Location: Lexington, KY
    Posts: 1,222
    Default

    Originally Posted by BoJangles
    Originally Posted by Love my stash

    Mine is just a straight '15' not a 15-something. As this was coming down the thread I saw the references go from one to the other. So am I to ASSUME that needles, attachments, bobbins etc, are the same for both. I am really confused now.

    Cheryl
    Cheryl, I am sure someone else can answer this better than I can, but Singer tried to keep things uniform. I think the Model 15's are interchangeable.

    Anyone else know for sure?

    Nancy
    Needles, attachments, bobbins are the same, but some take different bobbin cases.
    Miz Johnny is offline  
    Old 10-06-2010, 04:54 AM
      #5803  
    Super Member
     
    BoJangles's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Apr 2010
    Location: Rescue, California
    Posts: 4,585
    Default

    Originally Posted by Miz Johnny

    If you buy them on a card, they will actually say Class 66 or Class 15. I hate to say this, but will anyway. There are quite a few folks out there working in shops that have no idea there is a difference between a 15 and 66 bobbin. They are used to new machines and have little contact with the old ones--their job is to sell you a new one when you come in for repair.
    Well Miz Johnny I really like our sewing repair shop guy, but he doesn't know old machines. He is very new to repairing sewing machines as he 'expanded' his vacuum shop to a sewing machine shop/repair shop a few years ago.

    I specifically asked for 'class 66' bobbins yesterday, which he sells for $1 each. I only got two because when he brought them out, they looked exactly like the bobbins I had bought per Billy at Wal Mart for my Model 15 at a much cheaper price!

    Anyway, I will still let him service him 'new' machines. He does a good job, but I am going to a very old guy tomorrow to get the right bobbins. I am just afraid to try anything else at this point. This guy has been around this area forever working on sewing machines. He is in his late 80's and everyone tells me he is just the best!

    Thank you, Nancy
    BoJangles is offline  
    Old 10-06-2010, 05:10 AM
      #5804  
    Super Member
     
    BoJangles's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Apr 2010
    Location: Rescue, California
    Posts: 4,585
    Default

    Originally Posted by Miz Johnny
    I have had several WR machines, and they take a regular 15 X 1 needle.
    Clean hook area thoroughly. Make sure needle is in correctly--take needle out and put in a new one. Recheck your thread path--take thread out and start over. Make sure bobbin is turned the right direction and threaded the right way.

    I have been sewing since childhood, and have managed to waste hours on such things as:
    Needle in backward (happened a couple of years ago, and took 3 of us 2 hours to get right)
    New needle that happened to be flawed
    Lint in bobbin area
    Poor quality new bobbin in old machine (happened this summer; it took several tries to get it right, and a very experienced OSMG and I several hours to figure it out)
    Bobbin in backward
    Thread popped out of guide (happened this past weekend--I did some serious ripping of seams before figuring this one out)

    No matter how long we've been sewing or how long we've worked on machines, we still have to make a simple mistake once in a while. It keeps us humble. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.
    Yesterday, I thought I did everything to try and get my WR to pick up the bobbin thread -- nothing worked. I will try again using all your suggestions. But, I am thinking maybe when we took the bobbin hook/race (whatever it is) thing off to get the thread that was jammed in there out that we messed up some timming or something? My DH says he did not mess with any timming as the bobbin casing just popped out and back in when he loosened a screw. Anyway, this machine is so ugly that I really like it! Solid black and embossed, and I want to get it working! The bobbin case for this machine is weird too. It has like a neck that you pull the thread through when you thread the bobbin. There was a needle on the machine when we got it, so I got my magnifying glass out to read what the needle was. It is a Schmetz 80. The WR book says to use 'only' White needles, that is why I was thinking it took a special needle. I am too frustrated today to try.

    Between the WR frustrating me with the needle not picking up the bobbin thread; and the Redeye that I can't even try to sew on because I still need bobbins, I am taking the day off from my sewing machines! I am going riding!

    Thanks for all your help! I couldn't do any of this without this group! Nancy
    BoJangles is offline  
    Old 10-06-2010, 05:42 AM
      #5805  
    Super Member
     
    Miz Johnny's Avatar
     
    Join Date: May 2010
    Location: Lexington, KY
    Posts: 1,222
    Default

    Originally Posted by BoJangles
    Yesterday, I thought I did everything to try and get my WR to pick up the bobbin thread -- nothing worked. I will try again using all your suggestions. But, I am thinking maybe when we took the bobbin hook/race (whatever it is) thing off to get the thread that was jammed in there out that we messed up some timming or something? My DH says he did not mess with any timming as the bobbin casing just popped out and back in when he loosened a screw. Anyway, this machine is so ugly that I really like it! Solid black and embossed, and I want to get it working! The bobbin case for this machine is weird too. It has like a neck that you pull the thread through when you thread the bobbin. There was a needle on the machine when we got it, so I got my magnifying glass out to read what the needle was. It is a Schmetz 80. The WR book says to use 'only' White needles, that is why I was thinking it took a special needle. I am too frustrated today to try.

    Between the WR frustrating me with the needle not picking up the bobbin thread; and the Redeye that I can't even try to sew on because I still need bobbins, I am taking the day off from my sewing machines! I am going riding!

    Thanks for all your help! I couldn't do any of this without this group! Nancy
    I doubt very much that it's the timing. On old machines, it's hard to get them out of time.
    My favorite OSMG says the first law of troubleshooting is to "Lock the tool box." He's right. I can't tell you how many times I have screwed up something on a machine with a major adjustment when something simple would have worked. Love that tool box!
    Miz Johnny is offline  
    Old 10-06-2010, 06:50 AM
      #5806  
    Super Member
     
    buslady's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jul 2010
    Location: Thumb of Michigan
    Posts: 2,250
    Default

    I have been reading every word of this WONDERFUL forum for a couple of months now, and I want a vintage soooooo bad it hurts. DH and I are going north this weekend and I am going to scout out all the resale shops I can find! I got an old Viking earlier this year but the info sites on that machine are NO WHERE NEAR as good as this one!! I got frustrated with it, but DH is still trying... Any suggestions on how to find the resale shops in a particular area?
    buslady is offline  
    Old 10-06-2010, 07:01 AM
      #5807  
    Moderator
     
    Join Date: Mar 2008
    Location: North East Lower peninsula of Michigan
    Posts: 6,231
    Default

    Originally Posted by buslady
    I have been reading every word of this WONDERFUL forum for a couple of months now, and I want a vintage soooooo bad it hurts. DH and I are going north this weekend and I am going to scout out all the resale shops I can find! I got an old Viking earlier this year but the info sites on that machine are NO WHERE NEAR as good as this one!! I got frustrated with it, but DH is still trying... Any suggestions on how to find the resale shops in a particular area?
    Do a Google search for Michigan Resale shops. I find some neat ones that way. Or whatever state you will be visiting! LOL
    Up North is offline  
    Old 10-06-2010, 07:02 AM
      #5808  
    Super Member
     
    Miz Johnny's Avatar
     
    Join Date: May 2010
    Location: Lexington, KY
    Posts: 1,222
    Default

    What model Viking do you have? Check out:

    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/viking...chinespre1980/
    Miz Johnny is offline  
    Old 10-06-2010, 07:21 AM
      #5809  
    Super Member
     
    buslady's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jul 2010
    Location: Thumb of Michigan
    Posts: 2,250
    Default

    Thank you! I did the google, but very few shops came up, I will go back in and see if any other lists come up, later in the day. Thank you for the site info, I have sent a sign up request, I hope they are helpful!!
    buslady is offline  
    Old 10-06-2010, 07:59 AM
      #5810  
    Super Member
     
    BoJangles's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Apr 2010
    Location: Rescue, California
    Posts: 4,585
    Default

    Originally Posted by purplefiend
    Originally Posted by BoJangles
    Billy or anyone that knows, can I use the bobbins for my Model 15 in the 66 Redeye?

    Nancy
    Nancy,
    Not possible, the bobbins are very different.
    Sharon W.
    LOL! So I discovered!

    Nancy
    BoJangles is offline  

    Posting Rules
    You may not post new threads
    You may not post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is On
    HTML code is Off
    Trackbacks are Off
    Pingbacks are Off
    Refbacks are Off


    FREE Quilting Newsletter