Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 571 of 1792 FirstFirst ... 71 471 521 561 570 571 572 581 621 671 1071 1571 ... LastLast
Results 14,251 to 14,275 of 44790

Thread: Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jennalyn
    Hello! I just recently purchased a 1948 Featherweight and I'm still trying to learn as much about her as I can. Just successfully sewed on her for the first time last night after oiling her up. I need to get some baby oil from the store so that I can give her a proper polish.

I don't think you should use baby oil to clean her up.
    Your sewing oil will be ok to do that. I have read that some folks just use sewing oil to clean their machines. Have fun with her and congrats!

Hi Everyone,

I've got a 301a foot controller question or two. Recently acquired a 301a shortbed with the old bakelite foot controller which is driving me crazy. Don't know if this is operator error or what, since I'm new to this type of foot controller.

When depressing on the button on the left of the foot controller, my machine usually hesitates before starting to sew - from a slight hesitation to I need to use the hand wheel to start her. I know this is not normal from what I've read, that being that she should just take off running, no hesitation or hand wheel assistance required.

Also, the foot controller button seems kinda 'sticky', in that it takes more pressure from my foot to depress, and even that varies when using. Often, she'll just start racing and nearly eats my fingers off if I'm not careful. So, getting any speed control is difficult at best.

Sound like it's time for a new foot controller or what? If so, what type would you recommend? I read somewhere that the clamshell type was great for FMQ, which I plan to do as well as regular sewing/quilting. Any feedback appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Blog Entries
    If anyone is looking for a Eldredge Two Spools in treadle cabinet, here is one in CA. Just make sure the can and a spool is there, otherwise you will not be able to use this machine.

http://monterey.craigslist.org/atq/2305253544.html

Quote Originally Posted by star619
    Billy,
    I bought this thinking it was a child's toy machine. I was really surprised to open the box! The case had no key, so I've had to use a screwdriver to get the case to open. Can you give me any information on the machine? Also, any idea where I could get a key, or should I just keep using the screwdriver? Thanks. star619
    Very nice Victorian decals!!

Blog Entries
    Anyone in the Maryland area looking for a cheap 301, here is one for $35.

http://frederick.craigslist.org/atq/2298963043.html

Quote Originally Posted by vintagemotif

I notice it includes the cradle too.

Blog Entries

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by purplefiend

Purplefiend, What's the cradle?

Blog Entries
    This one is saying for parts only, but I bet after a good cleaning it would work, and could be treadled too, Necchi Supernova.

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/hsh/2333954133.html

Its the thingy that the 301 goes into so that it can be mounted in a Singer cabinet. The 301 has grub screws to accept a hinge pin, so the cradle fixes this.
    Here's what it looks like.

http://cgi.ebay.com/SINGER-301-CABIN...item1e630d6f8b

http://cgi.ebay.com/Singer-301-Cradl...item5adfd56154

Blog Entries

Its the thingy that the 301 goes into so that it can be mounted in a Singer cabinet. The 301 has grub screws to accept a hinge pin, so the cradle fixes this.
    Here's what it looks like.
    Thanks! Learned something new! :) I see it in the photo.

Blog Entries
    I tried out my 15-91 last night. Couldn't find where I put my replica owners manual (just got it a couple of weeks ago) but still managed to change the needle & get the machine threaded. Did some stitching...and it looks like crap (pardon me). Fiddled with the tension a bit but was afraid to adjust it too much without the manual to refer to. So guess it will have to wait until I find the missing manual. Bummer.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiltnCowgirl
    I tried out my 15-91 last night. Couldn't find where I put my replica owners manual (just got it a couple of weeks ago) but still managed to change the needle & get the machine threaded. Did some stitching...and it looks like crap (pardon me). Fiddled with the tension a bit but was afraid to adjust it too much without the manual to refer to. So guess it will have to wait until I find the missing manual. Bummer.
    http://www.ismacs.net/singer_sewing_...e-manuals.html

You free manual can be found here with others too.

Blog Entries
    I went to the site to see that machine and it said that the site is missing.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by chris_quilts
    Here are the pics. Will not post all cuz I'm like a new mom with her baby but will post some.
    Chris ... I am admiring your 301, and it looks just like mine I got last month!! Aren't they just the most wonderful!! Congratulations. And the Green Bernina is The BOMB!! Cool looking machine!!

Blog Entries
    Ok so my husband finally got the foot pedal rewired for "my" Singer 15-91 (on long-term loan from a friend). I got bobbins, I got a re-print of the manual. Only thing I forgot to check on was the needles. I want to give her a spin this evening, but need to stop at the fabric store on my lunch break to buy needles. Does anyone know what kind? Do they have to be Singer, or can they be Smetz (sp)? TIA :)
    Schmetz needles work great , I use them in all of my machines, both newer and vintage.
    I thought so, but then had someone at a store tell me no. Which means that the same Smetz needles will work for my 221, 15-91 & 403. Perfect! Thank you!
    Hi -- I like your machines!! I agree with the info on the needles working on all of them. I have used Schmetz on all mine...from newest to oldest, and they all work.

Blog Entries
    Crossstitcher, you have a great group of machines. I wish I could be that lucky, maybe soon.

Flat side of needle to the left, and threaded from right to left?????

Does anyone know about a chain sewing machine called Willcox and Brigs?

Hi Everyone,

Just came across this adorable free pattern from Sindy Rodenmeyer at Fat Cat Patterns for a mug rug with a appliqued Featherweight sewing machine on it.

http://fatcatpatterns.com/Mug_Rugs.html

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by HisPatchwork
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn
    Quote Originally Posted by hobbykat1955
    OK Vintage Machine owners...another question...On my 301 and my Redeye when you wind bobbin the needle goes up and down also...Is there some way to wind the bobbin without that happenning? I'm thinking not...but maybe I'm missing something.
    Yes turn the center knob on the handwheel clockwise and the wheel will free spin loading the bobbin and the needle will not move. Glenn
    Mine does not stop when I loosen the center knob on the hand wheel to wind the bobbin. Any ideas?
    I have that same thing with my 301, too. I have tried several times to stop the needle from going up & down, but to no avail. Anyone with the technical answer to this?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by irishrose
    I may have solved my 301 bobbin problem. The repros are about the same height laying side by side with the original, but the edges are a little more pronounced. I took a pair of pliers and moved the edges a little closer together all around the circumference of the bobbin. So far so good. Time will tell.

star619, that machine looks to be the size of my 128, which is a 3/4 size machine, but not a toy.
    Cool!!! That's very inventive of you. I bought new bobbins for my 301, but haven't tried them because I noticed they were slightly higher than the carrier. I'll have to try this. Thanks!!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by HisPatchwork
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn
    Quote Originally Posted by hobbykat1955
    OK Vintage Machine owners...another question...On my 301 and my Redeye when you wind bobbin the needle goes up and down also...Is there some way to wind the bobbin without that happenning? I'm thinking not...but maybe I'm missing something.
    Yes turn the center knob on the handwheel clockwise and the wheel will free spin loading the bobbin and the needle will not move. Glenn
    Mine does not stop when I loosen the center knob on the hand wheel to wind the bobbin. Any ideas?
    Remove the wheel from the machine and clean the shaft and oil it good. The wheel may be sticking on the shaft. It must move freely. Glenn

[/quote]

You know that is a great idea! I have looked at the felting machines, but didn't want to buy new machine. Wouldn't it be cool if we could convert a treadle to our felting machine -- just make one of our treadles a specialized one?

Nancy[/quote]

Nancy, pleased you think it's a good idea...several people I've mentioned it to have given me a strange look. Then again they probably don't understand my need to have so many sewing machines either.

Not having done felting in the past, it's hard to know how much I would use a dedicated felting machine and therefore didn't want to have heaps of $$$'s tied up in a machine that might not get a lot of use...this was the reason I bought the Singer 99 recently then discovered what a little beauty it was when I got it home. Didn't open the case when I handed over the $5.50 because I only wanted a 'working' machine which didn't need to do anything more than go up and down!! LOL Since then I've been given another three machines, one being the Capri and the other two I haven't seen yet as my son got them on Freecycle in his local area.

The felting adapter, a 6pack of spare needles and postage (Downunder) was $62 which I thought was OK and much cheaper than a dedicated felting machine which cost several hundred $$'s.

Bronwyn ;-)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jennalyn
    Hello! I just recently purchased a 1948 Featherweight and I'm still trying to learn as much about her as I can. Just successfully sewed on her for the first time last night after oiling her up. I need to get some baby oil from the store so that I can give her a proper polish.

I don't think you should use baby oil to clean her up.
    Your sewing oil will be ok to do that. I have read that some folks just use sewing oil to clean their machines. Have fun with her and congrats!
    Billy recommends using Scotts Liquid Gold to clean and polish the machines, after using GoJo or other non-pumice hand cleaner to do a good scrubbing.