Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 10-03-2010, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Originally Posted by AlwaysJustBeth

Thanks Nancy! Do you know of a resource for needles for the 9W? I hate to use the only one I have esp. since it is a Singer 127x1.
I keep eyeing my machine trying to figure out where to start cleaning.
Beth
Beth, go to e-bay and do a search for 127X1 needles and you will see a guy that is selling Schmetz new needles 10 for $8 that he says works on the 9W. I have not tried them.

Also, if you do a search on e-bay for "needles 9W" you will find vintage/original 127x1 needles for the 9w, 3 for about $10. I almost bought some a while back that were 10 needles for $50, but you can get them cheaper than that if you watch e-bay.

Billy and Charlee are also working on an industrial needle that will work on the 9W.

Nancy
Just a suggestion, but if you buy them in bulk direct from a supply house, you will save a bundle.
Old 10-03-2010, 06:37 PM

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/atq/1980671028.html

Here is a Wheeler & Wilson sewing machine. Since, Wheeler and Wilson sold to Singer in 1905, this machine has to be older than 1905?

Does anyone on this forum have an actual Wheeler & Wilson as opposed to a Singer 9W Wheeler and Wilson?

Nancy
I have an early 9 with an unusual hand crank, an 8 treadle, a 9 treadle (I had one other that I sold a couple of years ago, this one going up for sale, too when I get around to it) and a #5 in half-case as well as my 2 9W heads, one bought as an electric and one originally in a treadle base. I probably have an extra #9 head or two as well. Great machines.
Old 10-03-2010, 07:04 PM

MizJohnny and BoJangles...If you want to see all kinds of info on the Model 27 & 28 as well as 127/128 please go to :http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Singer_...lectric_motor. Tons of info on these models. Let me know your thoughts. You both helped me so much I wanted to pass this along.
Old 10-03-2010, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by Miz Johnny
Originally Posted by AlwaysJustBeth

Thanks Nancy! Do you know of a resource for needles for the 9W? I hate to use the only one I have esp. since it is a Singer 127x1.
I keep eyeing my machine trying to figure out where to start cleaning.
Beth
Beth, go to e-bay and do a search for 127X1 needles and you will see a guy that is selling Schmetz new needles 10 for $8 that he says works on the 9W. I have not tried them.

Also, if you do a search on e-bay for "needles 9W" you will find vintage/original 127x1 needles for the 9w, 3 for about $10. I almost bought some a while back that were 10 needles for $50, but you can get them cheaper than that if you watch e-bay.

Billy and Charlee are also working on an industrial needle that will work on the 9W.

Nancy
Just a suggestion, but if you buy them in bulk direct from a supply house, you will save a bundle.
Miz Johnny? You have a line on a supply house that has 127x1 needles? I've searched all over and haven't been able to find one.... the needles I have for my 9W are all Boye 18's.... they're spendy on ebay tho....I just paid $10 for 6 needles...and that was cheap compared to the $60 I paid for 18 needles a year ago! :(
Old 10-03-2010, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by Crossstitcher
Nancy here is a picture of our Wheeler Wilson dated 1854 and we have a Wilcox Gibbs dated 1884. We also have a National dated 1869 and a Domestic fiddle base dated 1870-1880. Few others dated pre 1900's.
As I understand it, the National Sewing Machine Company was formed about 1890. The picture you show under the heading of "National 1869" is an automatic chainstitch machine, introduced by Willcox and Gibbs in 1876. Someone else may know if the National machine was licensed by them from W & G or how they came to have identical machines. I have a National as well as a couple of WG, and they look the same to me except for the decal and medallion.
The WW looks like a Model 4 or 5, not a model 3, which would have been manufactured in 1854. Are you quoting patent dates or actual manufacture dates?

Here's a drawing of a number 2, the number 3 (manufactured until about 1861) looks similar:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Wheeler_%26_Wilson_Sewing_Machine_1852.jpg

There are lots of great places to find information on the internet, but I also recommend some reference books, including Charles Law's ENCYCLOPEDIA OF ANTIQUE SEWING MACHINES and Carter Bays ENCYCLOPEDIA OF EARLY AMERICAN SEWING MACHINES.

http://www.amazon.com/Encyclopedia-E.../dp/0963791605

http://www.amazon.com/encyclopedia-a.../dp/B0006SB5KA

(Whoa--I just got a look at the price on this one!! I bet Charles would like to have that for his books!! I bought mine directly from him, and gave a great deal less, I assure you!!)

I have been away for the past few days at a quilt retreat. I sold my never-used Featherweight and table, and came home with a Gritzner treadle, which I sewed on all weekend. I am well pleased with both the treadle AND moving an unused machine out of my house!!
Old 10-03-2010, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by Charlee

Miz Johnny? You have a line on a supply house that has 127x1 needles? I've searched all over and haven't been able to find one.... the needles I have for my 9W are all Boye 18's.... they're spendy on ebay tho....I just paid $10 for 6 needles...and that was cheap compared to the $60 I paid for 18 needles a year ago! :([/quote]

No, I was referring to this:

"go to e-bay and do a search for 127X1 needles and you will see a guy that is selling Schmetz new needles 10 for $8 that he says works on the 9W. I have not tried them."

I am assuming these are the Schmetz MY1014 needles that Kevin Pinkerton has recommended? If anyone has used them and they work in your machine, let us know!!

If the Schmetz needles work, buying them 100 at a time will definitely save money. I have NOT tried these myself, as I bought a lifetime supply when I heard the 127 X 1 needles were being discontinued.

FYI, I have heard that needles for the 306 were being discontinued as well. If you have Singer 206/306/319/320 machines, now is the time. . . . .
Old 10-03-2010, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by Howard
MizJohnny and BoJangles...If you want to see all kinds of info on the Model 27 & 28 as well as 127/128 please go to :http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Singer_...lectric_motor. Tons of info on these models. Let me know your thoughts. You both helped me so much I wanted to pass this along.
Hmn--when I went there, it was empty. Curious!
Old 10-03-2010, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by Howard
Hmn--when I went there, it was empty. Curious!
Sorry.Don't understand it. You can also try: Singersewingmachinemodel27/127...then click on the 2nd one down titled "SingerModel 27 and 127 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. " Hope it works.
Old 10-04-2010, 05:03 AM

suggestion, but if you buy them in bulk direct from a supply house, you will save a bundle.
Miz Johnny are you talking about the Schmetz needles or the industrial needles?

Nancy
Old 10-04-2010, 05:08 AM

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/atq/1980671028.html

Here is a Wheeler & Wilson sewing machine. Since, Wheeler and Wilson sold to Singer in 1905, this machine has to be older than 1905?

Does anyone on this forum have an actual Wheeler & Wilson as opposed to a Singer 9W Wheeler and Wilson?

Nancy
Miz Johnny do you FMQ on any of these machines?

Nancy
I have an early 9 with an unusual hand crank, an 8 treadle, a 9 treadle (I had one other that I sold a couple of years ago, this one going up for sale, too when I get around to it) and a #5 in half-case as well as my 2 9W heads, one bought as an electric and one originally in a treadle base. I probably have an extra #9 head or two as well. Great machines.