Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 10-04-2010, 09:34 AM

I have been on the lookout for a free treadle since I don't like the feel of my Singer straight leg treadle, bit tinny sounding and not as smooth as my classic cast-iron one that I also own. (Nothing like sewing with your 201 and hearing the tinny sound of the straight leg treadle, just bugged me).
So, I see this post on CL for this free machine and treadle this weekend. I call the guy and he tells me that the machine and cabinet aren't in great shape, but the treadle is good. At first, I told him no that would be more work than I'm interested in. I tell my husband about the post; and he says it's free, just go get it if the treadle is good. Well, the guy was correct in his description, this is a sad piece (that Billy would possibly be interested in and if I lived close enough would just give him the machine head). The guy opens the cabinet and there is this sad 9W1. I chuckle to myself because last week I didn't even know what a 9W1 was (thanks to this wonderful board I'm learning all about vintage machines). The drawers are okay, needs new top, and the treadle is very smooth. I asked the guy did you clean up the treadle and oil it, and he said no ma'am. I now have my replacement treadle (just need to make a new top). But I'm still wondering what to do with this sad 9W1. I don't know if it is a 9W1 or a 9W7. The bobbin is the one with the pin that flips in (also came with one bobbin), the serial number plate is in the back of the machine, and number starts with a W. Anyone want a free machine? Just missing a couple of parts.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-108819.jpe   attachment-108820.jpe   attachment-108821.jpe  
Old 10-04-2010, 11:11 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
Dunster, the bottle looks different and it's Monday :D
Thanks!!!
????? Am I missing something?
Old 10-04-2010, 11:18 AM

This one, I think:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Singer_Model_27_and_127
Old 10-04-2010, 11:46 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Quilt Mom
Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
dunster, thanks for the link but I don't see it there either :(
I thought it was the first item on the list - am I looking at the wrong list?
#1, 3, and 4 on the list are all the same thing in different quantities. They are what you need -Scotts Liquid Gold Cleaner and Preservative, pourable.
(#2 is the same thing in aerosol.)
Old 10-04-2010, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Originally Posted by Miz Johnny

No, I was referring to this:

"go to e-bay and do a search for 127X1 needles and you will see a guy that is selling Schmetz new needles 10 for $8 that he says works on the 9W. I have not tried them."

I am assuming these are the Schmetz MY1014 needles that Kevin Pinkerton has recommended? If anyone has used them and they work in your machine, let us know!!

If the Schmetz needles work, buying them 100 at a time will definitely save money. I have NOT tried these myself, as I bought a lifetime supply when I heard the 127 X 1 needles were being discontinued.

FYI, I have heard that needles for the 306 were being discontinued as well. If you have Singer 206/306/319/320 machines, now is the time. . . . .
Sorry, Miz Johnny I found which needles you were referring to, but how do we find them 100 at a time? I'm with Charlee, I don't know where to get them?

Nancy
This chart shows the MY1014 needle needle as a replacement for the 127 X 1:
http://www.ismacs.net/needle_and_sha...lat-shank.html

I'm not sure where to get the Schmetz needles, but the Organ needles can be bought here:

http://www.ctsusa.com/_e/Durkopp_Adl...014/MY1014.htm

I have bought from CTS, and like them.

Here are charts showing different designations for 1014 A, B, etc:

http://www.schmetz.com/010104p.htm

At the top of page 326, I posted some information from Kevin about these needles. I HAVE NOT TRIED THESE NEEDLES, but if you want to find out how they work on your machine, your best bet is to do an internet search, find someone selling them, buy and test.
Old 10-04-2010, 12:08 PM

I have been away for the past few days at a quilt retreat. I sold my never-used Featherweight and table, and came home with a Gritzner treadle, which I sewed on all weekend. I am well pleased with both the treadle AND moving an unused machine out of my house!!
Ok, I have a question for you! Since you sold your FW (I would have loved to buy that from you) and since you really like to treadle, what do you take to your quilt retreats to sew on? I know you are not taking a treadle!

Please post a picture of the Gritzer treadle. I never heard of that one!

Nancy
I usually use a hand crank, but this time sewed on my Gritzner treadle, and will probably take it to the next retreat, unless I get a traveling treadle together by then. It's not that big a deal; my friend takes one to sew on as well, and we help each other load.
Old 10-04-2010, 12:11 PM

Miz Johnny do you FMQ on any of these machines?

Nancy
I don't free motion on anything, but if I did, I would probably choose a Japanese with dropping feed dogs.
Old 10-04-2010, 01:38 PM

I usually use a hand crank, but this time sewed on my Gritzner treadle, and will probably take it to the next retreat, unless I get a traveling treadle together by then. It's not that big a deal; my friend takes one to sew on as well, and we help each other load.
Geeze, taking a treadle in and out of the house is a big deal! Do you take the head off to load the cabinet or do you have a really small cabinet?

Ok, what is a traveling treadle?

Please post pictures of the Gritzner and a traveling treadle if you put one together!

Nancy
Old 10-04-2010, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
So, I see this post on CL for this free machine and treadle this weekend. I call the guy and he tells me that the machine and cabinet aren't in great shape, but the treadle is good. At first, I told him no that would be more work than I'm interested in. I tell my husband about the post; and he says it's free, just go get it if the treadle is good. Well, the guy was correct in his description, this is a sad piece (that Billy would possibly be interested in and if I lived close enough would just give him the machine head). The guy opens the cabinet and there is this sad 9W1. I chuckle to myself because last week I didn't even know what a 9W1 was (thanks to this wonderful board I'm learning all about vintage machines). The drawers are okay, needs new top, and the treadle is very smooth. I asked the guy did you clean up the treadle and oil it, and he said no ma'am. I now have my replacement treadle (just need to make a new top). But I'm still wondering what to do with this sad 9W1. I don't know if it is a 9W1 or a 9W7. The bobbin is the one with the pin that flips in (also came with one bobbin), the serial number plate is in the back of the machine, and number starts with a W. Anyone want a free machine? Just missing a couple of parts.
You know you could just clean up that 9W. I bet it would clean up really nice and they are so nice to treadle. Besides, you have one of the few that are actually made with the Wheeler & Wilson parts. That 'W' in front of the serial number tells you how rare that machine is.

Great find.

Nancy
Old 10-04-2010, 01:44 PM

I don't free motion on anything, but if I did, I would probably choose a Japanese with dropping feed dogs.
Miz Johnny do you send all your quilts out to be quilted or do you have a long arm?

I have a long arm, but I am so intrigued with the treadles that I have been taking FMQing classes so I can FMQ my smaller quilts on a treadle.

Nancy