Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1575 of 1792 FirstFirst ... 575 1075 1475 1525 1565 1574 1575 1576 1585 1625 1675 ... LastLast
Results 39,351 to 39,375 of 44790

Thread: Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

  1. #39351
    Senior Member grant15clone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Brookfield, IL
    Posts
    862
    Joe, I am wondering now if it is just the nature of the beast. Does anyone have a Dressmaker like this one? Name:  Dressmaker.1s.jpg
Views: 1117
Size:  55.6 KB The machine runs along just fine and even without a special cam in it, it slows down a little and then continues to run for a bit and then slows down as if it was straining. It seems like it is in a rhythm. Do they all do that? Also Joe, does the black, built in cam stop moving at all? ~G~
    Quote Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
    Grant,

    I've got a couple other Singers I'm gonna check to see if this might be parts of their problems too.

    .......................

    I checked my Dressmaker 7000 yesterday. The gears are in good shape and undamaged. I ran it for quite a while but could not figure out why it surges when a cam is in. I compared my machine to the pics you sent me and they are the same. I even took the spring off the cam follower and used my finger to push the follower to the cam. It still surged.
    So I put a stronger motor on it. No difference.

    I am officially stumped on this one. Looks like it just might have to go to the LSMG.

    Joe

  2. #39352
    Super Member J Miller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    NE Indiana
    Posts
    8,105
    Grant,

    I've got a bunch of machines that use cams. None of the slow down as the cam follower rides over the high parts of the cam.
    I do not think it's the nature of the beast. On mine the black built in cam never stops.

    Something is creating a bind somewhere, I just can't seem to find it.

    Singer machines with the cam drive gears such as the 413s 518s, 538, have and excentric mounting shaft that is adjustable. My #1 413 would surge until I read about the adjustment. Once I adjusted it the surging quit. I've looked the Dressmaker over and can't find any way to adjust it.

    I know Miriam just got one of these, but I don't know if she's done anything with it yet. Perhaps she'll tell us if we say "purty please" .

    Joe

  3. #39353
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    507
    I don't think I ever shared a photo of my Jones Hand Crank. Have not dated it yet. It is dusty but it does work. Yay for that...now if I can just figure out how I'm supposed to sew using one hand....
    Name:  2012-11-17_10-09-41_872.jpg
Views: 439
Size:  1.36 MB

  4. #39354
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Northern CA near Sacramento
    Posts
    1,105
    Nancy,

    The retainer spring on Joe's 500 is the same on the Singer 401, 403, and 503.
    Here's a close up picture of the spring.
    Name:  401-500 BC.jpg
Views: 487
Size:  138.0 KB





    Quote Originally Posted by BoJangles View Post
    Thank you Joe, and thanks for the quiz! I had set my 503a on the computer table so I could compare my machine to your photo! I could not tell by looking at your photo what the problem was! Luckily I have a 503a, 2-401a's, and a 500a - but, none of them have ever had a problem with the horizontal rotary hook/bobbin assembly area! Now, if I get a horizontal rotary hook machine I will know what to look for if I do get one with issues! Nancy
    Cathy

    "Most sewing machine problems are due to the carbon based unit in the chair in front of the machine"

  5. #39355
    Super Member irishrose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Cadillac, MI
    Posts
    6,583
    Blog Entries
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by jennb View Post
    I don't think I ever shared a photo of my Jones Hand Crank. Have not dated it yet. It is dusty but it does work. Yay for that...now if I can just figure out how I'm supposed to sew using one hand....
    Name:  2012-11-17_10-09-41_872.jpg
Views: 439
Size:  1.36 MB
    Jenn, That's a very pretty machine. It will be gorgeous cleaned up. How nice that it works.

  6. #39356
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Northern CA near Sacramento
    Posts
    1,105
    Jennb,

    A nice machine. It should clean up beautifully.

    Cathy


    Quote Originally Posted by jennb View Post
    I don't think I ever shared a photo of my Jones Hand Crank. Have not dated it yet. It is dusty but it does work. Yay for that...now if I can just figure out how I'm supposed to sew using one hand....
    Name:  2012-11-17_10-09-41_872.jpg
Views: 439
Size:  1.36 MB
    Cathy

    "Most sewing machine problems are due to the carbon based unit in the chair in front of the machine"

  7. #39357
    Super Member J Miller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    NE Indiana
    Posts
    8,105
    Quote Originally Posted by Mizkaki View Post
    Nancy,

    The retainer spring on Joe's 500 is the same on the Singer 401, 403, and 503.
    Here's a close up picture of the spring.
    Name:  401-500 BC.jpg
Views: 487
Size:  138.0 KB
    Cathy,

    Thanks for posting the better pic. What program do you use that gives you the big arrow? None of mine do.

    Joe

  8. #39358
    Power Poster miriam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Victorian Sweatshop
    Posts
    15,392
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
    Grant,

    I've got a bunch of machines that use cams. None of the slow down as the cam follower rides over the high parts of the cam.
    I do not think it's the nature of the beast. On mine the black built in cam never stops.

    Something is creating a bind somewhere, I just can't seem to find it.

    Singer machines with the cam drive gears such as the 413s 518s, 538, have and excentric mounting shaft that is adjustable. My #1 413 would surge until I read about the adjustment. Once I adjusted it the surging quit. I've looked the Dressmaker over and can't find any way to adjust it.

    I know Miriam just got one of these, but I don't know if she's done anything with it yet. Perhaps she'll tell us if we say "purty please" .

    Joe
    not had a look at it yet - way too busy - sowweeeey
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    good mothers let you lick the beaters - great mothers turn it off first

  9. #39359
    Power Poster miriam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Victorian Sweatshop
    Posts
    15,392
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
    Cathy,

    Thanks for posting the better pic. What program do you use that gives you the big arrow? None of mine do.

    Joe
    Some how there is some screw under the machine that holds that in - had to round one up once
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    good mothers let you lick the beaters - great mothers turn it off first

  10. #39360
    Super Member J Miller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    NE Indiana
    Posts
    8,105
    I haven't looked up from the bottom yet. To adjust the springy part I just loosened the two little screws and nudged it over a bit.

    Joe

  11. #39361
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Northern CA near Sacramento
    Posts
    1,105
    Joe,

    I use Paint in Windows 7. Its simple to use, besides Photoshop Elements drove me crazy.

    Cathy

    Quote Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
    Cathy,

    Thanks for posting the better pic. What program do you use that gives you the big arrow? None of mine do.

    Joe
    Cathy

    "Most sewing machine problems are due to the carbon based unit in the chair in front of the machine"

  12. #39362
    Power Poster miriam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Victorian Sweatshop
    Posts
    15,392
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
    I haven't looked up from the bottom yet. To adjust the springy part I just loosened the two little screws and nudged it over a bit.

    Joe
    You do not need to - your's works! If what you did would not work you would need to look at how the spring is held in - fortunately I had a donor
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    good mothers let you lick the beaters - great mothers turn it off first

  13. #39363
    Super Member J Miller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    NE Indiana
    Posts
    8,105
    Cathy,

    Thanks. I have paint but never used it for much.

    Miriam,
    I'll probably have it apart to do more cleaning anyway so I'll take a look see just for my education.


    Joe

  14. #39364
    Power Poster miriam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Victorian Sweatshop
    Posts
    15,392
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
    Cathy,

    Thanks. I have paint but never used it for much.

    Miriam,
    I'll probably have it apart to do more cleaning anyway so I'll take a look see just for my education.


    Joe
    Joe, it has been 3 years or so - I can't remember much other than it was a B**** and it took me a bit to figure out
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    good mothers let you lick the beaters - great mothers turn it off first

  15. #39365
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Northern CA near Sacramento
    Posts
    1,105
    Miriam,

    The BC retainer is held in place with a bracket underneath the bed. If the BC retainer is completely removed from the machine, getting it back in place under the bracket (under the bed) can be a bear. Ask me how I learned that lesson.

    Cathy

    Quote Originally Posted by miriam View Post
    Some how there is some screw under the machine that holds that in - had to round one up once
    Cathy

    "Most sewing machine problems are due to the carbon based unit in the chair in front of the machine"

  16. #39366
    Power Poster miriam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Victorian Sweatshop
    Posts
    15,392
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Mizkaki View Post
    Miriam,

    The BC retainer is held in place with a bracket underneath the bed. If the BC retainer is completely removed from the machine, getting it back in place under the bracket (under the bed) can be a bear. Ask me how I learned that lesson.

    Cathy
    Cathy you said it all - been there and done it.
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    good mothers let you lick the beaters - great mothers turn it off first

  17. #39367
    Senior Member quiltdoctor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    487
    Blog Entries
    1
    Just checking in--A big thank you for all your kind thoughts and prayers during the illness and death of my dear husband, Dick. I am starting to make a dent in all that must be done. Jenn B did call me right as I was coming back from the funeral, so I wasn't joking about getting one of her machines. She asked if there was anything she could do for me, and I said I'd love to have that maple cabinet machine from the museum sale. Hey, couldn't hurt to ask---She and I talked awhile today and perhaps we will get together after the holidays. Glenn and Pat have been so supportive and I value their friendship more each day. I'm reading the list most days, but perhaps in a few days I will be more mentally ready to begin this new life chapter.
    Hugs to all,

    Texas Jan

  18. #39368
    Senior Member melinda1962's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    472
    Do you have the manual to the dressmaker? The manual with was with mine, which is very similar, and has specific instructions about using the cams if you need me to send the page.
    Melinda

  19. #39369
    Super Member Glenn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Posts
    2,504
    Blog Entries
    1

    Hand crank sewing machine identification

    I have just got a little HC with the original HC complete with attachments. It is a Nelsons No. 45 never heard of it but looks like a New Home to me. Can anyone tell me about it?
    Skip
    Attached Images Attached Images

    Glenn W. Cleveland

  20. #39370
    Power Poster miriam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Victorian Sweatshop
    Posts
    15,392
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by melinda1962 View Post
    Do you have the manual to the dressmaker? The manual with was with mine, which is very similar, and has specific instructions about using the cams if you need me to send the page.
    I need a manual for stuff like that cam stack too.
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    good mothers let you lick the beaters - great mothers turn it off first

  21. #39371
    Power Poster miriam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Victorian Sweatshop
    Posts
    15,392
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    I have just got a little HC with the original HC complete with attachments. It is a Nelsons No. 45 never heard of it but looks like a New Home to me. Can anyone tell me about it?
    Skip
    I'm afraid I can't tell you much until I do a road trip down to your house to personally play with it, Glenn. Where is Charlee when you need her? It looks like it is in very nice shape!!! Pat showed me a picture of the cute little tin you found.
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    good mothers let you lick the beaters - great mothers turn it off first

  22. #39372
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Newfoundland, Canada
    Posts
    36
    Hi, I joined this board in the spring and mostly just lurk in the background. Love this site. But you guys are such a bad influence. I've picked up 4 machines since reading this board. A 128 hand crank, a generic hand crank, a Singer 328K and a Singer 301(in excellent shape, I might add). Now I found a featherweight on Kijiji(canadian type Craig's list) for $50.00. Cosmetically it's in good shape. But this is what the selller has to say about the rest of it....

    "just so were on the same page, the machine will need some repair. the motor runs and the pulley spins, but the rest is seized, I'm not sure how to fix it and have no time to figure it out'.

    Could it be fixable with some time and patience. Any ideas what might be up? I figure for $50. it would be nice decoration for my sewing room if all else fails. But I'm optomistic that it is fixable. Any other questions I should ask?
    This is listed several provinces away where my son lives so if he is kind enough to pick it up for me, it will be home at Christmas time when he comes.
    Thanks

  23. #39373
    Power Poster miriam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Victorian Sweatshop
    Posts
    15,392
    Blog Entries
    2
    Check the bobbin area - probably has a thread caught
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    good mothers let you lick the beaters - great mothers turn it off first

  24. #39374
    Junior Member makitmama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Tidewater, VA
    Posts
    262
    as far as a seized up machine goes- the advantage to these all-metal machines is that you can remove the motor and drop the whole thing in a bucket of kerosene and soak it. Of course, you only do this to machines that are rusted or otherwise unsaveable, since this will trash your paint usually. I have a pink 221 and a purple 222, and think repainted FW are the cutest thing... if I saw a FW for 50 bucks I would be racing to get it.
    Cil



    I'm a Queen.... at least my pantyhose say I am!


    (proud caretaker of a magenta 221, purple 222, assorted 66's, a 301, a pink Atlas and Monarch, and Granny's 201-2.

  25. #39375
    Super Member craftiladi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Nv.
    Posts
    2,226
    Blog Entries
    1
    Jan I am pretty much a lurker on this thread, just absorbing and learning but I so wanted to pass along my condolences regarding your Hubby...Big Quilty Hugs.
    dee in Utah
    Dee Lowe
    Las Vegas Nv.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.