Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 05-12-2011, 05:05 AM

Originally Posted by quiltdoctor
Thanks so much. I will keep you posted. I have it sitting after a mega dose of lubricating oil. Maybe that will free some things up. She was BONE DRY.

Jan
It is a shame that a machine so cute could end up in that shape! I am glad you saved that machine! Keep us informed on your progress with cleaning and loosening the machine up.

Nancy
Old 05-12-2011, 05:09 AM

Originally Posted by Kitzone
Update: 1920 Green 127 Singer Sphinx ~ well curiosity got the best of me and I went to look at it :) The color of the decals are slightly different than my 1908 model. Same decal but the tint leans slightly towards sage green. The sewing machine was in excellent condition and appeared to be well care for over the years. The owner said that it belonged to her grandmother, who received it as a wedding present from her husband :)

I wonder if this difference in color tint is similar to the Brown Lotus which makes it more rare? Any thoughts?

Judy
sorry double post
Old 05-12-2011, 05:10 AM

Originally Posted by Kitzone
Update: 1920 Green 127 Singer Sphinx ~ well curiosity got the best of me and I went to look at it :) The color of the decals are slightly different than my 1908 model. Same decal but the tint leans slightly towards sage green. The sewing machine was in excellent condition and appeared to be well care for over the years. The owner said that it belonged to her grandmother, who received it as a wedding present from her husband :)

I wonder if this difference in color tint is similar to the Brown Lotus which makes it more rare? Any thoughts?
Judy
Judy, did you take some pictures? I'd love to see this machine. Did it look original to you, or a very good paint job?

Nancy
Old 05-12-2011, 05:11 AM

Originally Posted by quiltdoctor
What did I buy??? I won the bid on E-bay and this little hand crank made it home today. Sadly the metal base broke in shipping. I'm waiting to hear from the seller. It is locked tight, so she got a good oiling and will let her rest a day or so. I never saw a metal base like that.

Anyone have any info on her?? I knew she was in rough shape, and the bobbin winder is missing. There is a shuttle and a bobbin though.
The seller was very nice and refunded more than the amount I requested. Seems like I have a National Paveway machine. Wish I knew how old it is. It seems older than another National Damascas that I have. I'll keep looking for info.

Jan
Old 05-12-2011, 05:24 AM

Originally Posted by Honchey
Hi Everyone, I was finally able to pick up this Singer 15. It was born in 1950 and it has a potted motor-- I have one from 1905 and the motor is bolted behind the pillar not high up like the potted motor. I thought they would be the same. Did they still use the potted motor in 1950? I had to disconnect the cord to take it out of the cabinet. I noticed the finish where the stitch regulater is the same as the machine. I don't think there is a separate cover piece. This came in a cabinet.. Queen Anne legs. Lots of scratches so I'm going to sand it down and then paint it. Anne
Anne, I would be willing to bet the 15 from 1905 with the bolted on motor was not 'born' that way. It was quite common for people to bolt a motor on their favorite machines when electricity became widely available to private homes around the 20's and 30's.

Congratulations on your new 15! I love those 15'.

Nancy
Old 05-12-2011, 05:27 AM

can any one here tell me how to get smell out of my old feather weight machine case I bought got the machine fixed it sews great but would like to get smell out without ruining the case also need to know where to buy extra bobbins and what size to get thanks
Old 05-12-2011, 05:36 AM

hi I see all the great buys you guys find i did not get that great a deal but bought my feather weigh 221 for 80 dollars at a pawn shop had to replace bobbin winder it was broke off get bobbin belt power cord and belt pulley and had it oiled and stitch it works great now but in the end it cost me 258.00 but have always wanted one and told my children after i had bought the machine that could be my mothers day preset so they had it fixec for me am very happy with it but want to buy some extra bobbins for it can someone tell me where to buy thanks
Old 05-12-2011, 05:45 AM

I have a 1918 singer 66 redeye that has had a motor put on it. Eventually I want to treadle it but I don't have the room right now so we are talking down the road a few years. i have an opportunity to buy a 1954 singer 66-16 in a cabinet for $100 (maybe cheaper, haven't tried yet).I'm waiting for pictures. I really didnt want another cabinet but I can use the carrying case my 1974 Domestic is in if I need to.

Is there much of a difference in the two 66's with that big of a time span?

I have that older 66 and I have a Spartan from late 50's and Im having a bugger of a time getting the tension right. It's about to make me want to give up and just stick with the 301 that I LOVE so dearly! I'm trying to get another machine running good that I can put in my camper and leave it for the summer.
Old 05-12-2011, 05:54 AM

Originally Posted by Glenn
Jan what part of North Texas are you from. I was born in Decatur and went to North Texas U in Denton. Glenn
Granbury, south west of Ft Worth. It is growing so fast you wouldn't recognize the area.

Jan
Old 05-12-2011, 07:10 AM

chergram, those bobbins are readily available. Try a sewing store or April1930sshoppe.com Billy may have some, too. April has lots of FW accessories.

My youngest daughter just called. There is "a black Singer with no flowers in a cute cabinet" for $75 at the Salvation Army. Shall we call her an enabler? I have to go to my repair guy about a tire today. Do you think I can keep my car from going a few blocks out of the way? Dairy Queen is very close to SA. H-m-m-m.