Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1515 of 1792 FirstFirst ... 515 1015 1415 1465 1505 1514 1515 1516 1525 1565 1615 ... LastLast
Results 37,851 to 37,875 of 44790

Thread: Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by miriam View Post
    That big kid is me with 3 DGKs
    Well, you look like a young kid. Nice picture!

I worked for two days on my Bernina 830 Record. I finally got the cracked camstack gear replaced and timed properly. I'm thrilled with it! I'm not so thrilled with the parts I received for it. One cam gear arrived with a small crack and looked to be made improperly. Sure, I'm going to this trouble to put in another broken gear? And I got new belts for it and after 45 days the lug belt cracked in 4 or 5 places. A $12 belt down the tubes. These parts are not genuine Bernina parts and they suck! In the future, I'm going to see if my dealer will get me the originals even if I have to pay more. So, if any of you are planning on working on Berninas in the future, buyer beware. I know several people here have problems in general with buying repro. parts made over seas. Make sure you inspect the parts carefully. I could return the cam gear (just under 30 days) but I'm out of pocket on the belt.

Blog Entries
    When I took Ray White's class girl in there had a Pfaff with a cam stack to replace - Ray went on and on about the cam stacks - the one she had to replace her old one was cracked - very upsetting - Ray said there aren't newer machines that are much good - all have issues - the old stuff is much better.
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by vintagemotif View Post
    Well, you look like a young kid. Nice picture!
    Thank you - the GKs keep me young I guess. Wilbur had been wanting a Bob the Builder hat for a while. He would swipe a mixing bowl and wear it around. That day Daddy took Wilbur to Lowes and Wilbur saw all the hats and told Daddy, 'Look, Bob's hat!!!' Daddy suckered in and bought the hat. Meanwhile I had found a hat and had it on hand for Wilbur. Since Wilbur got the really nice Bob the Builder hat we let Walter wear the other Bob the Builder hat. Walter likes to copy Wilbur so he sat awhile with the hat on his head and looked smug. Walter doesn't really care much about Bob the Builder yet as far as I can tell.

When I took Ray White's class girl in there had a Pfaff with a cam stack to replace - Ray went on and on about the cam stacks - the one she had to replace her old one was cracked - very upsetting - Ray said there aren't newer machines that are much good - all have issues - the old stuff is much better.
    They can be replaced. There are some amazing Pfaffs out there. I own several. This is why using original parts and donor machines are very important.
    Last edited by Candace; 09-08-2012 at 06:15 PM.

Blog Entries
    I just had the ZZ feature on a Pfaff 46 welded so now it is a SS only machine, which is what I wanted it to be. The original owner who donated it to the church might be horrified, but now it does a great SS and that's more important for quilting. These old machines are meant to be used and it wasn't usable with a wobbly needlebar and wobbly stitch.

Miriam,

Ray White is here. He says HI!

Cathy

That big kid is me with 3 DGKs
    Cathy

"Most sewing machine problems are due to the carbon based unit in the chair in front of the machine"

Blog Entries
    You give Ray a big hug and then keep him up all night partying... LOL
    Tell him I'm messing with treadles - I just spiffed up a Wheeler and Wilson - pretty nice machine - missing a throat plate though. Found a lot of coolness in the drawers. And I picked up a little Minnesota treadle - very nice condition - lousy decals. I've been trying to come up with irons - picking up as junky treadle machines as I can find - then I go and work on them and they work - go figure - I don't think you can kill a treadle machine unless you are really trying. I also picked up an Elna SU - it works but the foot control is cracked clean across and it didn't have any accessories.

I picked up a 15 clone the other day - in the ad, the motor worked but the machine didn't turn. I was expecting the clutch to be turned or something. Well this one was rocket science... It was MISSING the belt. So I put a belt on and plugged it in and the motor went like crazy. This one has borrowed Kenmore motor, plug and control so I have to sort that one out - it isn't like the average clone set up.

Blog Entries
    Hello everyone! I have been gone for a week with out of state company! I am back and wondering how the TOGA went last Saturday? Did any of you go? Did any you get goodies from Cathy and Pat's pile of thinned goodies?

Nancy

Blog Entries
    Miriam, I love your new Avatar!

Nancy

Blog Entries
    bought a fully loaded 301 yesterday.
    she what looks like as age build up from not
    being covered on her topside.
    can you recommend the proper way to
    clean the outside of these machines please.
    Thank you
    I am Quilter Hear Me Roar...

Blog Entries
    Hello, dreamer. My 301 came from a smoking household, I'm sure. I cleaned her with a toothbrush and a Oxiclean solution because I couldn't find my Simple Green. Of course, you can't soak it, but it came wonderfully clean by scrubbing and wiping it off quickly. A coat of any kind of wax you have available and you're good to go. Toothpicks and pipe cleaners work for crevices. AnnieRose didn't need any pipe cleaners. Sewing machine oil in all the oil spots - I took the top off and soaked it, then Singer lubricant on the gears. Remove the bottom cover and do the same. This machine will need oiling oftener than the newer machines you are used to. I oil after every quilt and grease every 6 months. If you didn't get a manual, they are available free online. ISMACS or Jenny at sew-classics has them. The oil spots and how to clean the bobbin area are in the manual, so you do need one. You have to remove the screws in the needle plate to clean the bobbin and be sure to put the little finger back in the slot in bottom of the plate when you put it back together. It not hard and you can do it.

You'll love this little machine!

Blog Entries
    irishrose she did come with the book and tons of attachments.
    I have both simple green and oxyclean.
    will have to get wax.
    she will be my workhorse for all the charity quilts.
    the power cord was cracked so just ordered
    a new one off ebay.
    then will play on her.
    but can clean up and oil in meantime.
    thanks for the great help
    I am Quilter Hear Me Roar...

Does anyone have a diagram of the upper threading of a Eldredge or National two spool? TIA Lee

I love my Pfaffs, have 2 of them. One is electric the other is a treadle. I also have 2 black short bed 301s, they sew fast and very nice for quilting bee.
    Sharon
    Last edited by purplefiend; 09-10-2012 at 05:47 PM.

I've been gone a few days so just finished catching up on some reading! Zach's surgery went really well. He gained about 20% increase in his range of motion in both feet, and got his stitches out last week. He's still confined to a wheelchair for the next 4 weeks, which is making me a little bit crazy but we're getting through it. I started school with the kids so that helps. We're taking a field trip today to go see a collection of writings and documents belonging to the founding fathers, and then about 9/11.

I haven't touched my machines since his surgery, but hope that will change this evening, as I still have that baby bedding to finish up. I got sidetracked with an infection from a wisdom tooth that needs to come out, but I can't have anything done until after hubby is able to drive and function again so I was literally in bed for several days with heavy pain medication and antibiotics. I'm better now but man tooth pain is the WORST!

I got a short break last night and went over to rescue a few more machines from Alekia's house from that museum collection. I brought four more home with me last night that I'd been admiring since the beginning. I am going to help her get lots of other small things listed for sale on ebay soon. She has boxes with several original singer parts brand new in the boxes, foot pedals, motors, dials, and all sorts of random stuff, and I just couldn't bear to let them go to scrap, so I begged her to let me help her sell them instead. I'll see if I can get some pics up soon of the new treasures I brought home.

Hey everyone!
    I'm new here, I don't quilt(...yet). I've only been sewing about 4 years. I have recently acquired a Singer 15-91(Great condition she just needed new electrical), a 1923 White Rotary (really dirty, some rust, currently in pieces for cleaning), and I will be picking up a Clipper treadle (looks dirty, cabinet damage,most decals seem intact)tomorrow.
    I am posting this because of the Clipper. I can't find ANY info on it, except one mention on ISMACS (needle guide several pages down) it says the manufacturer was New Home. I was wondering if any one knows where I can find more information on it.
    Name:  Clipper.jpg
Views: 363
Size:  88.2 KBThe base does look like some of the New Home models I have seen online, but I've never seen a cabinet like this(carving on the front is textured and the pulls sit center on a horizontal diamond). If needed I will post better pics tomorrow after I get it. Needless to say I've been bitten by the vintage machine bug and couldn't resist this mystery. If anyone has any ideas/leads or something I would be grateful
    Thank you!
    Julie

Hi Julie,

Your Clipper is a Davis Model M if the bed measures close to full size 14". Model N is 3/4 size. Rough dating is 1910-1920. Davis New Vertical Feed owners (NVF) will recognize the cast base. Nice looking machine and woodwork.

Jon

Haha Jon beat me to it. I recognized the.Davis irons immediately. Jon is the resident guru on these machines so send him your serial number for his database. Those of us that have Davis model machines love them!

Name:  IMG_20120911_133307.jpg
Views: 370
Size:  1.43 MB

I have two White Rotary machines. My treadle version is in the "hubby spa" getting re-worked. It was handed down to me by a very dear family friend. Mary Gertrude, serial #25247 (named after the great-grandma who used it), has seen a lot of use. Her finish is quite worn and the decals almost gone, but the sentimental value of this machine means more to me than anything.

It's tough to see her all torn apart, but hubby is really giving her a good go-over to get her innards good as new. This is a learning process for both of us. I can't wait to be able to sew with her! In the process he's discovered that he really likes tinkering with machines.

That's awesome, because I have a second rotary machine to work on. That one is a beauty and has been electrified. I can't wait!

I have a white rotary in case from 1905 and just added a treadle to my collection yesterday. It will be awhile before I can sew on either of them but they are pretty!!

Blog Entries
    Ok M'friends....tell me about a Pfaff 230. I found one locally, but didn't pick it up...no attachments at all, in a cabinet (would prefer a case) Everything moves and it appears that the camstack is in one piece.... the guy wants $30, could probably get it for $20...
    Do I want it?
    One day, you'll only be a memory for some people. Do your best to be a good one.

http://charleeturner.blogspot.com

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlee View Post
    Ok M'friends....tell me about a Pfaff 230. I found one locally, but didn't pick it up...no attachments at all, in a cabinet (would prefer a case) Everything moves and it appears that the camstack is in one piece.... the guy wants $30, could probably get it for $20...
    Do I want it?
    yeah I betcha you do
    I'm only on for a few seconds - internet has been down for a few days

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lee231 View Post
    Does anyone have a diagram of the upper threading of a Eldredge or National two spool? TIA Lee
    Lee I will post a photo later, but here is the jest of how to thread a Two Spools! Turn the hand wheel toward you until the take-up is at the highest point. Draw the thread from the spool between disks of the top thread guide - there is a slot on top of the bigger disk at top of face plate to draw thread into - forcing the thread into the disc on the side closest to you. Don't wrap the thread around the disc, just go through the top slot and between the discs on one side, down into the tension pulley from right to left all the way around the tension pulley, now go down to the staple like thread guide near the bottom of the face plate - there is a spring in that thread guide that will catch the thread when you start to sew -, now up to the take-up thread guide threading from right to left (from the front), now down to the last thread guide on the face plate above the needle! Through the needle from left to right!

I'll try and get a photo and post it later! I hope this helps! Just remember this is one of those machines where the thread wraps all the way around the tension pulley. The thread will actually cross itself after wrapping around the tension pulley, through the long staple thread guide with a check spring in the middle of it, back up to the take up thread guide - NOW it will cross itself as you go back down to the last 'c' thread guide.

Nancy
    Last edited by BoJangles; 09-11-2012 at 03:15 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlee View Post
    Do I want it?
    Charlee, I'd get that 230 in a heartbeat! I think Sharon has a 230?

Nancy
    Last edited by BoJangles; 09-11-2012 at 03:21 PM.