Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 09-02-2010, 06:49 AM

Here is my Pfaff 130. It belonged to my Dad. He retired when he was 50 and before retiring built he and his wife a 38ft. sailboat in his backyard in LA. They had it lifted out and set sail to the South Pacific for the next 11 years. He purchased this machine in Mexico so that he could fix the sails on his boat. Apparently the Pfaff 130's were popular among sailors because they were heavy duty and could sew through sails and could be set up with a hand crank. It's in kind of rough shape and smells pretty musty. I had it serviced and it runs. It's a bit rusty in spots. When I first got it I think I had the number off of it but now I think the motor is covering it. The front of the machine says Made in Germany but the motor says Made in USA. It needs a LOT of work to make it pretty. My dad made some funky fiberglass case for it so that the wood wouldn't rot on the boat. And this thing is HEAVY!!!
Attached Thumbnails attachment-109343.jpe   attachment-109344.jpe   attachment-109345.jpe  
Old 09-02-2010, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by Bostons
Here is my Pfaff 130. It belonged to my Dad.
Apparently the Pfaff 130's were popular among sailors because they were heavy duty and could sew through sails and could be set up with a hand crank.
The front of the machine says Made in Germany but the motor says Made in USA. And this thing is HEAVY!!!
Hello Bostons, I also have my Mother's Pfaff 130. My 130 is in better shape than yours, but they are fantastic machines. My Mom bought it brand new in 1952 and used her Pfaff almost daily for 55 years, sewing everything from fine dresses and home decor to mending Dad's horse tack. I actually gave her a newer machine a few years ago because I thought she needed a more 'modern' machine! She tried to get used to the new machine for a year and finally gave it back to me -- she loved that Pfaff! The one thing she wanted me to keep forever when she passed away was her beloved Pfaff! Oh, and yes they were made in Germany, but the motor does say USA.

Nancy
Old 09-02-2010, 08:05 AM

What a neat machine, I have never seen one like it. How awesome that you have the machine and the wonderful history that goes with it. Lucky you.
Old 09-02-2010, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Originally Posted by Bostons
Here is my Pfaff 130. It belonged to my Dad.
Apparently the Pfaff 130's were popular among sailors because they were heavy duty and could sew through sails and could be set up with a hand crank.
The front of the machine says Made in Germany but the motor says Made in USA. And this thing is HEAVY!!!
Hello Bostons, I also have my Mother's Pfaff 130. My 130 is in better shape than yours, but they are fantastic machines. My Mom bought it brand new in 1952 and used her Pfaff almost daily for 55 years, sewing everything from fine dresses and home decor to mending Dad's horse tack. I actually gave her a newer machine a few years ago because I thought she needed a more 'modern' machine! She tried to get used to the new machine for a year and finally gave it back to me -- she loved that Pfaff! The one thing she wanted me to keep forever when she passed away was her beloved Pfaff! Oh, and yes they were made in Germany, but the motor does say USA.

Nancy
That's a great story Nancy. Well, my Dad is a little rough on things and then having it live at sea for all those years took its toll. The rust worries me and I really have no idea how to restore it. I'm glad it works. I thought I saw a thread here once about how to clean up an old machine?
Old 09-02-2010, 08:33 AM

That's a great story Nancy. Well, my Dad is a little rough on things and then having it live at sea for all those years took its toll. The rust worries me and I really have no idea how to restore it. I'm glad it works. I thought I saw a thread here once about how to clean up an old machine?[/quote]

There are really great tutorials here on this site that Billy's has posted (Billy is the go to guy here on vintage machines). Just do a search of "Cleaning Vintage Sewing Machines" and look for "Lostn51" as the author. There is a part one - taking the machine apart, part two - the cleaning, and a part 3. All really great information!

Nancy
Old 09-02-2010, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
That's a great story Nancy. Well, my Dad is a little rough on things and then having it live at sea for all those years took its toll. The rust worries me and I really have no idea how to restore it. I'm glad it works. I thought I saw a thread here once about how to clean up an old machine?
There are really great tutorials here on this site that Billy's has posted (Billy is the go to guy here on vintage machines). Just do a search of "Cleaning Vintage Sewing Machines" and look for "Lostn51" as the author. There is a part one - taking the machine apart, part two - the cleaning, and a part 3. All really great information!

Thanks Nancy! I'll do that. Heck, I search for everything else on here. Why didn't I think of that. :)

Nancy[/quote]
Old 09-02-2010, 12:03 PM

I've been reading the board a long time, but didn't find this thread until after I found My Fair Lady on ebay. I fell in love with her even though I had never had much interest in treadle machines. I won her for $150.00 and don't tell me I paid too much because I would have paid more. But before I could even bid I had to convince my husband that she was worth going from central Michigan to southern Pennsylvania to pick her up. Luckily we go through PA on our way to NY state where the kids and grandkids are. We're still in NY and won't be going home to MI until after Labor Day.

I've learned a lot about her since I started reading this thread. She's a Model 66 called a red eye for the decals which, by the way, are lovely. The cabinet is either called a parlor model or a drawing room model. I'm not sure which is correct yet. She came with her manual and all the attachments listed in it except the needle case . They are a bit grimy but not a trace of rust. And in the bottom of one of the drawers are the pieces and crumbs of what look like the original receipt.

I'm so looking forward to getting her home and learning to sew on her. I don't think she'll need much work except a good cleaning, but I'll probably be looking for some advice on how to treadle.

Joyce
Old 09-02-2010, 12:07 PM

Forgot to post the pictures.

All closed up
[ATTACH=CONFIG]109503[/ATTACH]

Here's the treadle
[ATTACH=CONFIG]109504[/ATTACH]

Lovely decals
[ATTACH=CONFIG]109505[/ATTACH]

The top drawer has an insert
[ATTACH=CONFIG]109506[/ATTACH]

Four drawers behind the left door.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]109507[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-109498.jpe   attachment-109499.jpe   attachment-109500.jpe   attachment-109501.jpe   attachment-109502.jpe  

Old 09-02-2010, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by good_apple
I've been reading the board a long time, but didn't find this thread until after I found My Fair Lady on ebay. I fell in love with her even though I had never had much interest in treadle machines. I won her for $150.00 and don't tell me I paid too much because I would have paid more. But before I could even bid I had to convince my husband that she was worth going from central Michigan to southern Pennsylvania to pick her up. Luckily we go through PA on our way to NY state where the kids and grandkids are. We're still in NY and won't be going home to MI until after Labor Day.

I've learned a lot about her since I started reading this thread. She's a Model 66 called a red eye for the decals which, by the way, are lovely. The cabinet is either called a parlor model or a drawing room model. I'm not sure which is correct yet. She came with her manual and all the attachments listed in it except the needle case . They are a bit grimy but not a trace of rust. And in the bottom of one of the drawers are the pieces and crumbs of what look like the original receipt.

I'm so looking forward to getting her home and learning to sew on her. I don't think she'll need much work except a good cleaning, but I'll probably be looking for some advice on how to treadle.

Joyce

That is a very pretty machine, and I really like the cabinet!!!
Old 09-02-2010, 12:20 PM

I was looking at shopgoodwill.com today and noticed that there are several FW's there. I have to wonder why no one ever donates one to my goodwill? Of course they probably do and I am not there that day!!!

It is fun to look through that site, but I really do not like bidding...guess I will stick w/CL. Of course there probably are things I would still buy on the gw site.