Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 09-02-2010, 12:37 PM

Your machine and cabinet have major drool factor. lol I've
been wanting a pretty red eye like yours, but alas no funds for another treadle machine.
sighing heavily,
Sharon
Old 09-02-2010, 12:49 PM
Kas

Wow! I would say you got a deal with the cabinet alone! I so wish my Redeye, Helen, still had her bed decals intact. She is a little rough, but I love her.
Old 09-02-2010, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by good_apple
. . . I won her for $150.00 and don't tell me I paid too much because I would have paid more. But before I could even bid I had to convince my husband that she was worth going from central Michigan to southern Pennsylvania to pick her up. . . The cabinet is either called a parlor model or a drawing room model. I'm not sure which is correct yet.
Joyce
You did not pay too much for a parlor machine in that great a condition. It is easily worth that much. I'm the Queen of Cheap, and I've paid more than that for parlor machines that float my boat.
"Parlor" and "drawing room" are both used to describe these models. There might be a "right" term, but I've never heard anyone quibble over it, so choose whichever one you want!!

Now then--here are some pictures of the machine I just sold--another parlor cabinet--I just have to make some room. :-/ Sold it to a nice lady, so it's going to a good home.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-109518.jpe   attachment-109519.jpe  
Old 09-02-2010, 02:47 PM

Miz Johnny and Good _Apple, I wished I had the room to have both of your parlor cabinets in my home. They are just beautiful. I especially like the simplicity of yours, Good_Apple, and find it rather endearing that your husband was willing to travel so far :) Looks like you have some keepers (cabinet and husband).

Judy
Old 09-02-2010, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by Kitzone
Miz Johnny and Good _Apple, I wished I had the room to have both of your parlor cabinets in my home. They are just beautiful. I especially like the simplicity of yours, Good_Apple, and find it rather endearing that your husband was willing to travel so far :) Looks like you have some keepers (cabinet and husband).

Judy
They are definitely both keepers and I've had the best husband for 50 years this December 16.
Old 09-02-2010, 05:29 PM
Banned

That is a gorgeous cabinet and I am going to look it up to see which one it is. There is a major difference between the Parlor and the Drawing room Cabinets.

Parlor cabinets were relatively plain 4 sided cabinets with some ornamentation. The drawing room cabinets were very elaborate with lots of details and was a really fine piece of furniture. I believe yours is a drawing room cabinet.

The cabinet is worth $600+ so you did not get hurt at all and I am looking for a Drawing room cabinet as we speak.

Billy
Old 09-02-2010, 10:36 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by good_apple
Forgot to post the pictures.
Oh yeah she is worth it! enjoy.
Old 09-03-2010, 05:09 AM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
That is a gorgeous cabinet and I am going to look it up to see which one it is. There is a major difference between the Parlor and the Drawing room Cabinets.

The cabinet is worth $600+ so you did not get hurt at all and I am looking for a Drawing room cabinet as we speak.

Billy
Wow, that cabinet is beautiful! So is the one Miz Johnny sold! I am so new to this, I have only been bitten by the bug for a few months, that I did not know about these other cabinet styles. I could have walked right by one of those at an estate sale and would not know it was a sewing machine!

Oh yes, you got a really sweet deal on that machine and cabinet. I am looking for a Redeye too, but not in a real big hurry to find one -- the search is so much fun!

Nancy
Old 09-03-2010, 04:08 PM

[quote=Miz Johnny

Now then--here are some pictures of the machine I just sold--another parlor cabinet--I just have to make some room. :-/ Sold it to a nice lady, so it's going to a good home.[/quote]

Miz Johnny is that Franklin a 3/4 size machine? It looks shorter than a regular size in that picture?

Nancy
Old 09-03-2010, 06:29 PM

I got a pretty little green Singer today at a yard sale. I also got a bunch of sewing stuff, thread, needles, all that. I had fun sorting it all out form the two sewing boxes.

I got the Singer from a sweet little lady, 92 years old. She said she had kept it serviced and it ran great, and for only , how can you lose? Well, it was pristine clean on the inside, not even any dust. So I wiped her down and oiled her up and she runs nicely. But, and this kinda matters, she does not sew very well. I played with the tension and did what I know how to do. Threaded and re- threaded and changed needles. I got it to stitch finally for about two inches, then poof, back to messed up. It looks fairly good on top, but the bottom is all loopy. If I tighten the tension, that makes it worse. Any ideas? Oh, it is a model 337.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-110486.jpe