Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 09-04-2010, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
I might have a possible score on my hands. You know how I have been looking for a vintage long arm machine and found a Singer 96-2 at a shop today. I am going to see if they want to do some trading with me and see if I can get it that way.

It is a 1912 Singer industrial and it was made for sewing clothing and cloaks. So it would be at home in my treadle in the shop. It is a rotary machine and the bed is 18" long and would be perfect for quilting.

Here is what the machine looks like....

Billy
How big is the throat area?
Old 09-04-2010, 05:34 PM

WOW cool Billy. Looks like your gonna be quilting up a storm with that one.
Old 09-04-2010, 05:47 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by jackkip
How big is the throat area?

From the needle to the arm is 10 1/4"

Billy
Old 09-06-2010, 04:08 AM

I have my fingers crossed for you Billy. I'm betting you use this one faster than I get my 31-20 going. Does this one come in the large table?I'd love to see it when you get it home. The one I have can be treadled or electric with the motor mounted on the table.l haven't tried the motor yet, but it does treadle smooth and that's before I have started to clean it up. It's just so big and I have very limited space for working on it that I seem to shove it to the back burner in favour of something smaller and easier to move. My DH said that it needs 10 men and a hairy boy to move it.
Old 09-06-2010, 04:40 AM

Oldhag, I have two of those machines which you are talking about mounted in there tables. Your DH is right they are very heavy. One is a 31-15 w/table and motor dated 1922.Can be used as a treadle or elc. DH said motor weights 80 pounds. The other is a commerical singer 1911-1919 and the records are lost to singer but it has a table and motor. The belt is chain drive like a buldozer track. LOL They both sew really good.
Old 09-06-2010, 05:17 AM

Originally Posted by oldhag
I have my fingers crossed for you Billy. I'm betting you use this one faster than I get my 31-20 going. Does this one come in the large table?I'd love to see it when you get it home. The one I have can be treadled or electric with the motor mounted on the table.l haven't tried the motor yet, but it does treadle smooth and that's before I have started to clean it up. It's just so big and I have very limited space for working on it that I seem to shove it to the back burner in favour of something smaller and easier to move. My DH said that it needs 10 men and a hairy boy to move it.
I have a 16-41 treadle in a rebuilt and smaller table in storage. I would love to have space to use it, and am working on that by selling off some of my "stuff". It has alternating pressers, and I'm not sure what that really means, so would love to use it and find out. According to literature on it, it's for "general work in cloth and leather", so should be great to sew on--if I ever get it in the house, cleaned, etc.
Old 09-06-2010, 06:29 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by oldhag
Its just the machine itself and it was already serviced 2 years ago and was never picked up. It could use a Go-Jo cleaning and polish but thats about it, other wise its like new.

My quilting table in my studio has a central treadle mounted under it and it has a huge hole cut into it so I can put these plates in to use what ever machine I feel like using. I measured and I can make a plate for this machine and use it in my quilting table.

The only thing about this machine is the handwheel has to make two revolutions to make one stitch so it will be excellent for FMQ!

Billy
Old 09-06-2010, 10:50 AM

The only thing about this machine is the handwheel has to make two revolutions to make one stitch so it will be excellent for FMQ!

Billy
Why does that make it "excellent" for FMQ?

Just curious :)
Old 09-06-2010, 11:08 AM

I was gonna ask the same thing.
Sharon W.
Originally Posted by jenna p in ga

Billy
Why does that make it "excellent" for FMQ?

Just curious :)
Old 09-06-2010, 11:40 AM

I hope I'm attaching a picture of my treadle that I learned to sew on.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-112682.jpe