Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 520 of 1792 FirstFirst ... 20 420 470 510 519 520 521 530 570 620 1020 1520 ... LastLast
Results 12,976 to 13,000 of 44790

Thread: Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Blog Entries
    chergram, on a limited income, you might be find a 301 more easily than a FW. My $60 301A was easier to purchase than a $250+ FW. The FWs are cute and fun to have, but there are working vintage macines better priced. My 1952 Singer 128 was $35. FW owners, I mean your adorable little workhorses no disrespect, they just are not in my budget.

Bojangles, is the Boye 20X1 a hard needle to find? Is it still in production? I told you I don't know anything. Thank you for all your help. Judy

I went to the site you gave. It looks like it's not an easy needle to find.

Banned
    Hello everyone! Looks like I will be in the shop for a little while today since it is raining here. I am going to work on machines today but thankfully I will have my other laptop in the studio with me!

There has been some really nice machines brought in here in the last day or two. The Viking is to die for!!

As far as Featherweights go I have yet to give over $100 for one. In fact the last 3 that I bought to keep in my collection (never happened) was bought for less than $30 each. So the cheap deals are out there, but I would opt for a 301 while they are affordable. I have been watching the prices of those jump and they look to be passing the FW soon.

But the 301 is the full size sister to the Featherweight. It has the flip down bed the same bobbin as the FW but it is a full size with drop feed dogs and is built a lot better for quilting in my opinion. And it has a built in carrying handle and only weighs just a bit more that the Featherweight.

Billy

Blog Entries
    Bubba's extension table is intriguing! But how do you FMQ with it right up next to the wall?

Blog Entries
    Quilt Addict, I went to those sites you posted for Craigslist, but all of them stated that there was no page for that address.

Blog Entries
    Ginne6, I agree with you about the floor pedals. I have a Fleetwood (made by Necchi) that is over 50 years old and sews great. It has a knee action and I love it. I acquired a Kenmore about 2 years ago with a floor pedal. I just cannot get used to it, as you said, it slides over the floor.

Blog Entries
    Melody, do you have the name of the "fixit" website? I have a tension problem too. Thanks, Lucy

I just bought another sewing machine for $40. It is a 1942
    Singer knee peddle. It is in great shape. It is black matte crinkle finish. It is in a portable cabinet with out the key. :cry:
    It is a little noisey but I think it may just need to be oiled. I need a throat plate for it. I have plently of bobbins that will fit, but no plate to cover them. It seems to be clean but have not checked it out yet. Have a wonderful day. Kathie

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by chergram
    hello I am looking for a singer feather weigh machine a old one not the new has to work as I will be using not collecting do you have any suggest where to look for a good machine at a price that will not break the bank as I am on limited income and retired thanks Evelyn from ga.
    And if you want one shipped from other areas of the States, you will have to check with the Post Office, Fedex,and/or UPS on the fees.

Blog Entries
    I just got a call from our local thrift store owner and she has a Necchi Alco, that was all she knew. I can't get there today and she is closed Sunday and Monday so I'll have to check it out on Tuesday. Do any of you have an experience w/the Alco model? What about price? Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Marie M.

Blog Entries
    What a beauty! Sharon, I was just on e-bay looking at the 221's. When you purchase on e-bay and they state that the machine is in working order, how does one know if it really is? Lucy

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by luce321
    What a beauty! Sharon, I was just on e-bay looking at the 221's. When you purchase on e-bay and they state that the machine is in working order, how does one know if it really is? Lucy
    When you are asking questions, make the distinction between Working as in the motor makes a noise and the needle goes up and down, and Working as in stitching a recognisable stitch.

If you are told it stitches nicely, perhaps you can ask to see a pic of a sample, but if it is stated that it stitches, then that is what it is supposed to do and you should have some comeback if it doesn't do that.

Blog Entries
    Linda, your machine is so unique. I love the fiddle base and the thinga ma bob. What I like about these antique machines is that back then, they took pride in their work, such as the "fiddle base", decals, etc. Are you going to recondition it?

Blog Entries
    penni, I would snatch that up before someone else does. It is a beauty and looks as though its in good shape and the cabinet is beautiful. Go for it!

Banned
    If you guys haven't seen Susan's 15 you need to look at it, it has the rare Indian Star decal pattern on it.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-110830-1.htm

This is one of the nicest I have ever seen!

Billy

Banned
    Okay here are some neat things I have archived in my laptop. The first is a Singer factory photo of how to oil a Featherweight. The last one is an ad from Life Magazine in 1948. Look at all the neat things singer sold back then, and if you look close enough at the store front image, see the SINGER above the storefront? I have one of those signs (all individual letters) that will be put onto my edition of my studio. My studio will be a replica of a late 40's to early 50's Singer store front complete with the huge windows for display.

Billy

Singer Factory Photo
    Name:  Attachment-175327.jpe
Views: 104
Size:  60.5 KB

Singer Christmas ad from 1948
    Name:  Attachment-175328.jpe
Views: 89
Size:  132.7 KB

Help! I was checking out the motor on my 99 and unscrewed a screw. It had a spring on on the inside. I went to put the screw back in and half of the screw head fell off. Does anyone have an extra screw as well as a throat plate that they would like to sell to me? Kathie

Banned
    Now later on in Singers history, in the 60's you could also buy Radios, Projectors (I have one of them) Typewriters, TV's, Record Players and Hair driers. It was like a one stop shop for your wife back then.

Billy

Notice the White Featherweight?
    Name:  Attachment-175332.jpe
Views: 850
Size:  55.4 KB

FW in the Card Table
    Name:  Attachment-175333.jpe
Views: 838
Size:  137.1 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathie S.
    Help! I was checking out the motor on my 99 and unscrewed a screw. It had a spring on on the inside. I went to put the screw back in and half of the screw head fell off. Does anyone have an extra screw as well as a throat plate that they would like to sell to me? Kathie
    PM sent.

Billy

Quote Originally Posted by Lacelady
    Quote Originally Posted by luce321
    When you are asking questions, make the distinction between Working as in the motor makes a noise and the needle goes up and down, and Working as in stitching a recognisable stitch.

If you are told it stitches nicely, perhaps you can ask to see a pic of a sample, but if it is stated that it stitches, then that is what it is supposed to do and you should have some comeback if it doesn't do that.
    GREAT response as I am looking for parts so that my modern Home Deluxe by Brother will sew. Motor runs, wheel turns, but there is NO pedal/controller to plug it into. It works but it does NOT sew. I actually define that as NOT working as a sewing machine needs to sew to be considered working IMO.

So, be very careful with the wording. Running is one thing, sewing might be considered optional. The seller actually responded to me with a hilarious "it's an antique about 100 years old and you expect it to work?" Uh, yeah, you SAID it worked.

Blog Entries
    Billy, any idea if the toy Singer machines are still out there? I'd love to have one for a granddaughter. I'd also love to have a 301 if you could point me in the right direction. Thanks. Man, I hate this shop....makes me wanna buy, buy, buy!!!

Blog Entries
    Thought I'd share another project.... 1873 Singer Mother of Pearl - Handcrank. I need some patience or she's going to see Uncle Billy in Bikini Bottom :)

Judy

Blog Entries
    I am so excited. Found a fabulous little machine at an estate sale today and it really purrs. Only $30! It's a Taylor Professional Model 834. If anyone knows where I can find a manual I would be grateful.

Blog Entries
    Kitsone, that will be a gorgeous machine cleaned up. I love the mother of pearl inserts.

My little Leader came home with me. She is tiny. I have part of a book and it does say 10M-3' 28 Irwin Part of different book says 3M-J '28 Irwin, so I think it must be 1928. I have a huge box of attachments - I may have the ruffler I want, though I'd rather have one for the 301. Two wooden boxes of needles. They are 1/4" longer that a 15x1.

I was a little slow on the draw or I'd have a big box of what I think are Singer cams for one of you. She didn't know what they were and like an idiot, I told they didn't belong with this machine. Also some very slim steel knitting needles and a bone crochet hook. The seller kept those though she didn't know what they were. I did inherit a six bobbins that probably won't work in my Elna - she's very fussy. I have only the shuttle that's in the machine, but one is probably enough. Oh, and a page from a Singer redeye book??? One hinge on the machine has pulled out, but I think I can glue it. The treadle sounds terrible, but moves okay, so I'm thinking an oiling is in order.

I hope I can round up some family to bring her in tomorrow. It's hard to hide my new addiction when I need help lifting this one. The kids loaded her face down and it's bugging me. I did pack her with heavy duty bubble wrap inside and a bungee cord and blankets outside. Yes, it fit in my car's trunk without any trouble. Close on the depth, but plenty of space on the ends and side.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Krystyna
    I am so excited. Found a fabulous little machine at an estate sale today and it really purrs. Only $30! It's a Taylor Professional Model 834. If anyone knows where I can find a manual I would be grateful.
    It appears your machine is a Singer Stylist 834 or a very close facsimile. This site has manuals http://www.sewusa.com/Sewing_Machine...ion_Manual.htm for sale.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitzone
    Thought I'd share another project.... 1873 Singer Mother of Pearl - Handcrank. I need some patience or she's going to see Uncle Billy in Bikini Bottom :)

Judy
    I love that machine! Where did you get that one?