Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
  • Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >
  • Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

  • Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

    Old 05-03-2011, 12:04 PM
      #15191  
    Senior Member
     
    kwendt's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Dec 2010
    Location: Coastal Florida - Mountainous Maine
    Posts: 949
    Default

    Originally Posted by jljack
    Originally Posted by QuiltnCowgirl
    I've seen it listed on eBay as a Singer 185J. Isn't it just too cute?? I don't know anything about them, though. And the camera is true...it's very green!
    Those 185's are interesting. My MIL has one, in case just like it. One thing I noticed is that the green paint? stuff is lifting off/up in a couple places on her machine. Right where there's a straight line edge around the front/back, the edges have sort of delaminated. That may be typical, or may be due to South Florida humidity. Don't know anything else about it. There have to be some 185 owners on here... what do you all think?
    kwendt is offline  
    Old 05-03-2011, 12:06 PM
      #15192  
    Senior Member
     
    kwendt's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Dec 2010
    Location: Coastal Florida - Mountainous Maine
    Posts: 949
    Default

    Originally Posted by Lostn51
    Correction, it is sitting in my garage right now and today was 50% off day and I got it for $10 and some change!

    It is a 66-18 Centennial badge and is in pretty decent shape, but I am going to do a repaint on it and keep it for use in my studio. But she was allotted on June 13 1950. Billy
    That man scoops up more cool machines! Glad it found a home!
    kwendt is offline  
    Old 05-03-2011, 12:21 PM
      #15193  
    Senior Member
     
    Join Date: Jan 2011
    Location: Northern California
    Posts: 559
    Default

    I just got 5 new (old) sewing machines. All with out manuels. 1. 1890 Jones and Company H C.
    2. Singer 1936 99k. Is the 66 manuel the same?
    3. 1917 New Home treadle. 4. Bel Air from the 50's 5. Some toy looking machine that I will give to my niece.
    I can not post pictures maybe if I take Nancy a piece of chocolate at Ladies night out sewing,
    she will post pictures for me. How about it Nancy? Kathie
    Kathie S. is offline  
    Old 05-03-2011, 12:25 PM
      #15194  
    Banned
    Thread Starter
     
    Join Date: Oct 2009
    Location: Bikini Bottom
    Posts: 5,652
    Default

    Originally Posted by kwendt
    Originally Posted by Lostn51
    Correction, it is sitting in my garage right now and today was 50% off day and I got it for $10 and some change!

    It is a 66-18 Centennial badge and is in pretty decent shape, but I am going to do a repaint on it and keep it for use in my studio. But she was allotted on June 13 1950. Billy
    That man scoops up more cool machines! Glad it found a home!
    :lol: :lol: :lol:

    Billy
    Lostn51 is offline  
    Old 05-03-2011, 12:25 PM
      #15195  
    Super Member
     
    Join Date: Apr 2007
    Location: North Carolina - But otherwise, NOTW
    Posts: 7,940
    Default

    Originally Posted by QuiltnCowgirl
    Originally Posted by jljack
    Originally Posted by QuiltnCowgirl
    Anyone recognize this model of Singer? Do you think that color is true or maybe just the person's camera?
    http://www.searchtempest.com/results...20&maxDist=250Žion_us=1&search_string=sewing&keytype=adv&Region= na&cityselect=zip&page=0&category=8&subcat=sss&min Ask=min&maxAsk=max
    I got a list of ads, but not one particular?
    Oh drat! Let me see if I can find it again.
    Here's some info on the 185 -- it's an updated 99 in new clothes!! 3/4 size!! Cool!!

    "The Singer 185 was produced between about 1955 up to around 1964. It replaced the popular 99K model. The 99K was a 3/4 size straight-stitch model -- one of the classic "old black Singers". I'm not sure how long the 99 was produced -- some sources suggest it was in production for nearly 40 years (like I said, a popular machine!)

    The 185 modernized the 99 -- but mainly in appearance only. The innards are still basically the same (if it's worked for 40 years, why change it?) and it's still a 3/4 size machine.

    Although the 185 is basically a 99 in modern clothes, prices for 185's have edged past the model 99 (supply and demand?). I think the neat styling is the key -- along with the fact that it's a proven and reliable straight-stitch machine from back in the days when Singer machines were top of the line! "
    jljack is offline  
    Old 05-03-2011, 12:37 PM
      #15196  
    Senior Member
     
    emmah's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Feb 2011
    Location: Groton, NY
    Posts: 408
    Default

    Originally Posted by Kathie S.
    I just got 5 new (old) sewing machines. All with out manuels. 1. 1890 Jones and Company H C.
    2. Singer 1936 99k. Is the 66 manuel the same?
    3. 1917 New Home treadle. 4. Bel Air from the 50's 5. Some toy looking machine that I will give to my niece.
    I can not post pictures maybe if I take Nancy a piece of chocolate at Ladies night out sewing,
    she will post pictures for me. How about it Nancy? Kathie
    Is you Bel Air a copy of the singer99 or of the singer 15? I had one of each, and they were great machines.
    emmah is offline  
    Old 05-03-2011, 12:39 PM
      #15197  
    Super Member
     
    QuiltnCowgirl's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Nov 2010
    Location: Calif (San Joaquin Valley)
    Posts: 3,482
    Default

    Originally Posted by jljack
    Here's some info on the 185 -- it's an updated 99 in new clothes!! 3/4 size!! Cool!!

    "The Singer 185 was produced between about 1955 up to around 1964. It replaced the popular 99K model. The 99K was a 3/4 size straight-stitch model -- one of the classic "old black Singers". I'm not sure how long the 99 was produced -- some sources suggest it was in production for nearly 40 years (like I said, a popular machine!)

    The 185 modernized the 99 -- but mainly in appearance only. The innards are still basically the same (if it's worked for 40 years, why change it?) and it's still a 3/4 size machine.

    Although the 185 is basically a 99 in modern clothes, prices for 185's have edged past the model 99 (supply and demand?). I think the neat styling is the key -- along with the fact that it's a proven and reliable straight-stitch machine from back in the days when Singer machines were top of the line! "
    I also found that the 185J was made in Canada & the 185K in Scotland. No other difference between the two.
    QuiltnCowgirl is offline  
    Old 05-03-2011, 01:11 PM
      #15198  
    Super Member
     
    Join Date: Apr 2007
    Location: North Carolina - But otherwise, NOTW
    Posts: 7,940
    Default

    These may be among the last few models still made in a "western" country, before Singer sent its manufacturing to other places and the parts went from all metal to metal/plastic and plastic/plastic.

    These little 185s may be the next "hot" model to acquire!!
    jljack is offline  
    Old 05-03-2011, 02:01 PM
      #15199  
    Senior Member
     
    Join Date: Jan 2011
    Location: Northern California
    Posts: 559
    Default

    Is you Bel Air a copy of the singer99 or of the singer 15? I had one of each, and they were great machines.[/quote]

    The machine looks like a brand new 99. The outside of the cabinet looks it age tho. It is missing a section on the bottom. Kathie
    Kathie S. is offline  
    Old 05-03-2011, 03:13 PM
      #15200  
    Junior Member
     
    Join Date: Mar 2011
    Posts: 113
    Default

    Originally Posted by Kas
    Yee ha! I got the guts to ask the guy at the antique store if he would take $20 for the red eye with the back clamp feet and he said yes! The wooden case is broken, but I think my hubby can fix it. Now for the elbow grease!

    Serial #G7175576. Not terribly rusted like Helen, but pretty dirty. Decals look great under the gunk!
    ....So pleased you decided to tempt him!!! The worst thing he could have replied was 'no'.

    Congratulations, so many great machines coming out of the back corners (or wherever they've been stashed).

    While I haven't bought anymore it's not because I'm not tempted, or watching...but there is one special one but I think it will go for too much (eBay)!! Oh well, someone else can have the pleasure of owning it.

    Bronwyn ;-)
    HanNatNana is offline  

    Posting Rules
    You may not post new threads
    You may not post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is On
    HTML code is Off
    Trackbacks are Off
    Pingbacks are Off
    Refbacks are Off


    FREE Quilting Newsletter