Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 04-28-2010, 07:11 AM

Billy....I want to see pictures!! :) The oval cabinet thing has me intrigued!

Another advantage to having/sewing on a treadle machine? Can you imagine your Janome working the same way it does a hundred years from now? :)
Old 04-28-2010, 07:20 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Charlee
Billy....I want to see pictures!! :) The oval cabinet thing has me intrigued!

Go to the last post on page 9 the photos of one is there.

Billy
Old 04-28-2010, 07:24 AM

Nice! I'll be keeping my eyes open for sure now! ;)
Old 04-28-2010, 07:25 AM

Billy, What is your take on New Home sewing machines??
Old 04-28-2010, 07:31 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by roseOfsharon
Billy, What is your take on New Home sewing machines??
I havent had the time to play with mine because I still have to sandblast the treadle (4 or 5 thick coats of paint)and I have to make a wooden pitman arm, but as soon as I can get a chance putting it together so I can use it I will let you know.

But they were around for a long time so that should tell you that they are very well made and I like the fact that it is a non-Singer.

Billy
Old 04-28-2010, 07:44 AM

*smiling* Thanks Billy, I have been seeing them for sale and was not familiar with it. Also, I am new to searching out a vintage sewing machine and really don't want to be stuck with a lemon!
Old 04-28-2010, 10:33 AM

Thanks to the people who answered my question about the treddle sewing machines. The biggest problem I have with mine is it was stored under the wrong conditions and all the varnish has blistered on it. I would have to have the cabinet refinished for sure, plus I have no idea what needs to be done to the machine itself. But no matter what shape it is in, it was my dear MIL's and I would never part with it.
Old 04-28-2010, 10:57 AM

I saw something on the board yesterday I think about a scant 1/4 inch foot. A J foot ,have been unable to find one online. Can you point me in the right direction?
Old 04-28-2010, 11:17 AM

I was quite supprised(happy) with the answer you gave me on the M.I.J. machine, I showded you. I took off all of the plates except the gold "DELUXE" plate (it has rivits). I took plenty of pictures of all angels. I found the sereal #K7101238. The only plate that had a single screw at the top was on the front (see pic) no markings on the back of it.I don't want to take up this space, with all of the pics, let me know if you want to see it at another angle. All of the decals are still on. It sews great for the age and simplicty of it. It doesn't have a single piece of plastic on the machine, just the handel and the little toggle to keep the bottom on. I have had it for so long I can't remember where I got it. I have made leather chaps to pillows for my three kids to use while watching TV on the floor.
I picked up the singer from a member of my neighborhood assoc. She was moving and sole it to me for $50.00. I guess thats the going rate? This was about 10 years ago. I didn't need it but thought it was nice.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-18200.jpe   attachment-18201.jpe   attachment-18202.jpe  
Old 04-28-2010, 11:34 AM

Ok, here's a pic of my oldest, Prissy. She is a model 99, I think that she is from the late 40's or 50's, not sure. I got her in a barter, 3 twin quilts for her and $100cash from a co-worker.
She's missing a bobbin cover plate, other than that she is a smooth, quiet, well running machine.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-19262.jpe   attachment-19341.jpe