Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 14 of 1792 FirstFirst ... 4 13 14 15 24 64 114 514 1014 ... LastLast

Thread: Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah Rae
    This is a picture of the machine I just purchased this weekend. Near the post there is letters and numbers AF 307167. on the bottom of the sewing machine there is the number 16 and another set of numbers 32685
    Billy, doesn't look as though there are parts of the bobbin winder missing, the gears and the thread guide or is this model 66 made different than the model 66-2 and 66-4?

If so, I may have those parts!

Banned
    They should all be the same Jan.

Billy

it is not a treadle...I wish. I'm not sure of the year it was made either. Just that its one of the older heavy straight stitch machines. The model is AHC. I will get pics tomorrow when my camera batteries are charged. It looks like the machine here
    http://www.ismacs.net/newhome/manuals.html
    except the badge on the front has the picture of the greyhound on it and its a tan color. I've been searching online and haven't found any info on it. I got a new electric cord made for it and it does run. Tomorrow I will spend some time cleaning and oiling it. It says in the manual though to only use needles made for this machine. They seem to be the same length as a regular needle though. If it takes a special one what kind is it?

Banned
    For some reason the link works but once I am on there I cant see anything. Post some photos of her and we can go from there.

With the greyhound on her it should be an earlier one somewhere in the 50's?!?

And you are right the needles are probably the standard 15x1. You can always put one in her and turn the handwheel manually and see how it stitches. A lot of the manufactures put in there manuals or on the machine to use "their brand" of needles for best results.

Nothing but a way for suggestive selling.

Billy

Blog Entries
    I too, am betting that it's a standard 15x1... :)

So...what does everyone consider to be "vintage"??

I just looked up my mom's machine, a Kenmore 1980 Convertible, online because I can't get the fabric to feed...(the feed dogs don't drop under the needle plate like they should) and found that it was made in, get this...1980!! :lol: Found it listed as a vintage machine! My youngest son was born in 1980, that can't POSSIBLY be vintage! (Can it?)

I tried a 15x1 needle and it worked perfectly. Finally got the tension adjusted...it was way off. It sews good but is VERY noisy. There is a rubber wheel that rests against the handcrank wheel (no belt) and it has a flat spot on it. I guess from sitting unused so long and I think that is what is making the noise. When I hold the motor away from the machine its quiet. Hopefully cleaning everything tomorrow will help too. The only vintage machines I've used before recently was my Grannie's and I've never seen one that doesn't need a belt. Was this a common thing?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ginnie6
    I tried a 15x1 needle and it worked perfectly. Finally got the tension adjusted...it was way off. It sews good but is VERY noisy. There is a rubber wheel that rests against the handcrank wheel (no belt) and it has a flat spot on it. I guess from sitting unused so long and I think that is what is making the noise. When I hold the motor away from the machine its quiet. Hopefully cleaning everything tomorrow will help too. The only vintage machines I've used before recently was my Grannie's and I've never seen one that doesn't need a belt. Was this a common thing?
    I am glad the needle worked out great for you!! As far as the motor not having a belt there were several companies that did that, and if it sat for any length of time it will have a flat spot.

What you can do is sand the rubber wheel down a bit ad remove a lot of the flat spot and afterwards you might have to adjust the motor a little closer to the hand wheel. But it should help it out until you can replace the rubber wheel.

You might could find an O-Ring at your local hardware store to work for the motor and the bobbin winder if it uses one for it. I use O-Rings for my bobbin winders instead of buying the tires.

Billy

This is kind of hard to explain it is just one arm piece of a thread rack that was used in sewing factories. I have sewed for several sewing factories many years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlee
    I too, am betting that it's a standard 15x1... :)

So...what does everyone consider to be "vintage"??

I just looked up my mom's machine, a Kenmore 1980 Convertible, online because I can't get the fabric to feed...(the feed dogs don't drop under the needle plate like they should) and found that it was made in, get this...1980!! :lol: Found it listed as a vintage machine! My youngest son was born in 1980, that can't POSSIBLY be vintage! (Can it?)
    1980 CAN'T be vintage - my BF was born in 1980! What does that make me, antique? lmao

Just a tidbit of information for some of you.

I have a Singer model 66-(4?) and a model 66-2 treadle machine that I have been trying to get attachments for.

On my way to the dealer to have my walking foot for my Janome fixed (which I paid $33.00 for), I stopped at Joann's and bought a generic walking foot. The woman there told me to save the packaging and receipt in case it didn't work on my vintage Singers.

Well, it works perfectly on the Vintage machines and was only $15.00. Although the part isn't "vintage" I now can use it on my vintage machines which I love sooo much more than the Janome.

I am thrilled that it works as the stitching on the vintage is so perfect!

Hope this info is of value to some of you out there.

Banned
    Yes that is some very good information!!!!

It is nice to know that we can use a walking foot on our machines. If it fits the Singer 66 then it will also work on the 15, 27, 28, 99, 127, 128, 221, and 222K. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Thank you soo much for finding out for us!

Billy

HOW COULD THEY!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

What on earth were they thinking? Could they be arrested for this? How could they paint this?

On the Albany, NY Craigslist:
    "For sale is an old sewing machine cabinet which has been refinished in shabby chic. You will need to purchase screws to reattach the legs which are removable.

This unit is solid wood and made very well. There is also a drawer on the left side for storage

It measures 20" D x 27" W x 32" H

I am asking $35 OBO "
    Attached Images Attached Images

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by no1jan
    HOW COULD THEY!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:
    Some folks just have no idea of what they are doing. But lets hope it was really clapped out and wasnt worth saving and then they did this.

Billy

well I kinda like it......I mean if the table was in bad shape why not? I mean I've seen painted machines so why not the cabinet? Imagine a shiny red treadle sitting in that cabinet!

Blog Entries
    Wonder if the irons are still there?

Can't help it...there's never, in my mind a good reason to paint "good" woods...it would be like dying an antique quilt to be solid red...just because I didn't like the way the fabric looked.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlee
    Wonder if the irons are still there?

Can't help it...there's never, in my mind a good reason to paint "good" woods...it would be like dying an antique quilt to be solid red...just because I didn't like the way the fabric looked.
    Thank you Charlee, well said!!

:thumbup: :thumbup:

Blog Entries
    I clean my machines per your instructions and oil them, besides oil to they need lube in some parts like the tuning fork thing? I want to make sure I am maintaining them right. :?:
    Glenn

Blog Entries
    If I were closer to you I would get it and turn it into a fine sewing cabinet. I like Carlee think it is a sin to paint nice wood. Glenn

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn
    I clean my machines per your instructions and oil them, besides oil to they need lube in some parts like the tuning fork thing? I want to make sure I am maintaining them right. :?:
    Glenn
    You can use sewing machine oil on everything lord knows I do!! There should be holes and the rear inspection plate to get to where you need to go. Make sure you oil the stew out of it anywhere metal touches metal. Dont forget the stitch length regulator and the little roller in there that is part of it.

Sounds like you have it just about ready to show off Glenn!!

Billy

Blog Entries
    Thanks Billy, I am addicted to this VSMS. :-D
    Glenn

Billy, How's the weather right now? Everyone still ok?

Banned
    Arkansas is getting the you know what kicked out of it again with several tornadoes on the ground and looks to be headed this way!!

It is starting where it did last night so everyone is saying it is going to be just like it was then.

Billy

Billy, could you possibly tell me how old my cabinet Kenmore is, her model #120.490. Her booklet doesn't say when made, just electric rotary and needs no oil. Thank you.

Hi All,

More pictures of the 99?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by summerstorm
    Hi All,

More pictures of the 99?
    Yep its a Koyo-Seiko the same folks that made my Universal 15!!

I had no idea they made the 99's so thats something else to add to my research and help me know more about the company that made them.

You did say that it has the Standard Badge on the pillar right?

Billy

Page 14 of 1792 FirstFirst ... 4 13 14 15 24 64 114 514 1014 ... LastLast