Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 05-20-2010, 05:15 PM
Banned

You will love it, they sew like a dream!! I can see why they were one of the most popular Model that Singer had!

Billy
Old 05-20-2010, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by mickey
(The owner just replied with this to my questions. ...
I'm not sure if he is correct.
i can tell you it is at least 40 years old and probably older thatn that. He is right they are not for quilting. The feed dogs are to big they will chew any quilting fabric to pieces. They can be changed to different dogs and plates, etc to be used but it will be hard to do so. also fixing the clutch can be a problem, new motor can be expensive.[/quote]

Thanks Mickey, I think I will leave that one alone. :D
Old 05-20-2010, 06:47 PM
Banned

Hi all, I just joined this board tonight so that I could join you in the Sewing Machine Shop. I just love all your sewing machines you are finding. I have been collecting for a while and am embarrased to say how many I have.

I am hoping to get some advice from you knowledgable folks about my old "Free" Sewing Machine. It was once a treadle but was convereted to electric at some point and moved into a portable box.

I would love to find the parts to turn it back into a treadle. Any suggestions? I will have to find a few parts to make it happen. Not sure where I can scrounge them up. It does have the original book. The back of the book says "Model C Blank". No date.

In the book it says to clean it with,,.,, you guessed it, Kerosene.
Old 05-20-2010, 07:12 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by JCquilts
Hi all, I just joined this board tonight so that I could join you in the Sewing Machine Shop. I just love all your sewing machines you are finding. I have been collecting for a while and am embarrased to say how many I have.

I am hoping to get some advice from you knowledgable folks about my old "Free" Sewing Machine. It was once a treadle but was convereted to electric at some point and moved into a portable box.

I would love to find the parts to turn it back into a treadle. Any suggestions? I will have to find a few parts to make it happen. Not sure where I can scrounge them up. It does have the original book. The back of the book says "Model C Blank". No date.

Welcome to the board and welcome to the Shop!!! You know you have to post photos of your beauties! And while you are at it go grab a mug and get some coffee help yourself to some cake or fruit bars and sit back and enjoy yourself!

Around here everyone is family. :D :D :D

Oh and its nice to have it in vintage print that my method of Kerosene is the cleaner of choice!! :mrgreen:

Billy
Old 05-20-2010, 07:15 PM

Hi JC!! Glad you joined us! :)
Old 05-20-2010, 07:25 PM

I finally got the featherweight that I posted the ad about a few pages ago, maybe a lot of pages ago. The green one. I posted pictures of her in the pictures section. She is so pretty. Serial number on her is either AE538709 or AF 538709 kinda hard to tell. I also can not tell if she was originally black or white, but I am guessing black.

I need to find a good dealer for a few little things. She needs the rubber cushions and it looks like the thing that goes on the light switch toggle is also missing. Otherwise she is in great shape.
Old 05-20-2010, 07:30 PM

Oh lucky you!!!

I hope to one day own a featherweight. My sweet DD was going to pay $200 for an antique toy sewing machine the other day. I think I will tell her I would rather have a featherweight. LOL!!
Old 05-20-2010, 07:49 PM

This little thing is so cute, it looks like a toy.
Old 05-20-2010, 07:57 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Originally Posted by JCquilts

Welcome to the board and welcome to the Shop!!! You know you have to post photos of your beauties! And while you are at it go grab a mug and get some coffee help yourself to some cake or fruit bars and sit back and enjoy yourself!

Around here everyone is family. :D :D :D

Oh and its nice to have it in vintage print that my method of Kerosene is the cleaner of choice!! :mrgreen:

Billy
I will post a few pics when I get my camera working. Well, it's really me that I have to get working..LOL I tend to collect the oddballs. Although I have a some of the old standards too. I love the Singer 201 for my quilting. I really like all of my machines to be working, so am looking forward to your instructions.
The one that I most want to get going is an old Wilcox and Gibbs. Yes, Ill post you a pic. There is one on the NeedleBar site that was fixed up and running, but this thing is just so different in its parts that I am a bit timid.

Well, I could go on and on about this things.. I have a couple that I would love to get your opinion on. You know, the oddballs... but one at a time I guess would be best..

Thanks for the warm welcome. Ill be back soon.

I am off to an auction this weekend... they advertised two old Singers.. one is a treadle. No idea what models or how much they will go for.. I only get them when they hook up to the back of my car and follow me home.. Funny how many have done that..
Old 05-20-2010, 08:37 PM

Welcome JC, drop in again when you can stay awhile. But understand the call to the auction. I wish we had good old fashion auctions around here. Guess too citified.

Make sure that hitch is good and ready.