Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 06-11-2010, 11:36 AM

Just thought I'd drop in during my lunch. Looks like some great information of FWs. An wow what a great neighbor to have. What are you going to do with it?

I have never seen that darning foot. It would of come in handy last month when I was darning some socks. Yes, I do fix the holes in my socks. :shock:
Old 06-11-2010, 11:37 AM

Oh, what a wonderful find!

I have a 401 and love it. Two things to know about the Singer 401 are:

1) Don't let it sit. It gets very cranky if not used for more than a week. Be sure to use the special stitch - the one needing the cam - at least once a week, too.

2) I am currently straight-line quilting a large and heavy fleece-backed quilt on it. The top is done on a foundation, and the batting is Warm and Natural, so you know that is one heavy quilt. The 401 is handling it with no problems whatsoever. Are you ready for a shock? I didn't even have to change from a zig zag foot to do it. I don't even need a walking foot on the machine!

What a great machine. It's a keeper.

It does take a bit of effort to figure out how to use it, but it is certainly worth it. The dial with the indicator on the left pushes in to set and the one with the indicator on the right pulls out. Be gentle. Use the fine setting and #3 width for special (cam) stitches.

I see you got a darner with it. I haven't tried free motion quilting or darning on mine. Let us know if you do.

Oh, there are two ways to thread it. I don't know the second one offhand but an internet search might provide it. And you can use two needles at the same time.

Enjoy!

Cricket
Old 06-11-2010, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by Gerbie
. . .3 feet for the featherweight . . . The three feet total is more expensive sold individually, plus there is free shipping for the month of June only. All of you who have featherweights might want to check this out.
Don't forget that the Featherweight is simply a low-shank machine. Any of the Singer low-shank SS feet will work, so don't pay a bundle. Those little green cardboard SINGER boxes generally have what you need, and sell between $5 and $10.
Old 06-11-2010, 11:44 AM

but where can you get those? Gerbie
Old 06-11-2010, 11:45 AM

It's not a darning foot. It is a stocking darner. You put the stocking, or other item to be darned, into it and tighten down the "coils". Then it goes under the foot - the actually darning foot. The plate is elevated with the control on the bed of the machine. Set it to fine, and away you go. Make sure it is set right in the middle of the "fine" area.

I see you also have a button foot and a zipper foot.

The cabinet and machine are both worth restoring. You could make them shine again. They deserve it! If you have trouble with the machine, it will need to be serviced. I'm not sure if I can tell you how to do that over the internet, but it will be worth the money to have it done locally.

Great machine! One of the very best.

Cricket
Old 06-11-2010, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by Gerbie
but where can you get those? Gerbie
I find them everywhere--flea markets, antique shops, Goodwill, yard sales etc. You can find lots of them on Ebay.

I see you live in Texas. I know it's a big state, but I see the most beautiful machines coming out of Texas!! A lot of handcranks come over from England in containers. There are a couple of Ebay sellers that do fabulous packing and have beautiful machines.
Old 06-11-2010, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by sharon b
Ok be patient, there are a LOT of pics . This machine was given to me by a neighbor who was tired of it sitting in his garage :thumbup:
The green box in picture #3 may or may not hold attachments to fit your machine. Your machine (the 401) takes slant feet. There's also a manual for a 15-88, which is straight (low) shank, so the attachments may go with that machine.
Old 06-11-2010, 12:28 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by cricket_iscute
Billy, you are so lucky! That two-spool Eldridge is beautiful! How did you come to own it?

That's one machine I'd love to own, and one day, I'll find one.

Cricket
Its not mine (although I would love to own it :thumbup: ) I was just giving a little history behind the companies.

Billy
Old 06-11-2010, 12:31 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by sharon b
Ok be patient, there are a LOT of pics . This machine was given to me by a neighbor who was tired of it sitting in his garage :thumbup:
I love it!!!!

I can not believe what all came with the machine!! Are those attachments for a slant shank machine? The box will more than likely say what machine they fit (301, 401, 500 etc.) but all slant shanks are the same.

You came out smelling like a rose on this deal!

Billy
Old 06-11-2010, 12:34 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Darcene
Billy, if you find something within 2-300 miles of me I will pick it up and ship to you.....now that I know how it is done.....or I can hold on to it and we can work out how to get it to you.....no 201 hunting this weekend for me....family and work weekend....maybe next weekend I can find some good auctions in the area.....
Darlene you are a sweetie!! And I might have take you up on that one of these days as I am always looking at CL and Ebay again.

You are not far from Oklahoma City and judging from what I looked at on the map. Your only 7 hours or so away from me so it would not be a bad trip to make to get away and hit some auctions with you!!

Billy