Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 06-11-2010, 04:33 PM

That is great to know Katia. I have one FW which I dearly love. :D :thumbup: :thumbup:
Old 06-11-2010, 04:58 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Katia
Hi, I just wanted to relate a good experience with a company that seems to carry a lot of parts for our precious Featherweights. The company is Discount Sewing Machine in Lakewood TX. I ordered some new cushions, and bobbins and lubricant from them a week or so ago. I got the order promptly, and all was well, except that the wrong bobbins were sent. They were thicker then what is used in a Featherweight. So I emailed them and told them and they emailed back and asked the size of the ones I had received. Within the hour I got another email back and they said that yes, they had goofed and to keep the wrong ones or give them to someone that could use them and they would send the correct ones. In a few minutes I received another email with tracking that they had sent the new ones. Don't you just love good customer service !!!!

I just thought I should pass this on in case anyone needs anything. They have parts for other machines as well.

Oh, the best part. I got the new correct bobbins, with a note of apology plus a packet of eight Singer needles. Totally not necessary, but very appreciated. This was not a huge order, less then 20 bucks, but I felt like I was treated like a I had spent a fortune with them. I know I will use them any time I need stuff they have.
Looks like when I start playing around with FW's they will be the ONLY place I will go!!!

Thank you for the heads up! :thumbup: :thumbup:

Billy
Old 06-11-2010, 05:31 PM

I didn't post the website because I did not know if it was allowed. But it should come up when you the name of the company and the town. I found it from a long list of suppliers. I was just looking for the lubricant, but found I could get it all in one place. And the prices were fair, and even better then Ebay. For what I needed anyway. I have no idea about other stuff.

I also found on their website that they have some good tips in hints for various sewing machine things.

Of course, we have Billy and others here to help us, and we all appreciate that. But I don't think we can ever learn too much.
Old 06-11-2010, 08:25 PM

quilt addict wrote:
I wonder what this monster is used for? I'm sure its a bargain at $25 because I know anchors run more then that.

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst...778881908.html

quilt addict,
What was the machine in the Craig's listing? I looked and it was
already deleted.
Sharon W.
Old 06-11-2010, 09:52 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Originally Posted by SewExtreme
Cricket, as far as I know that Eldridge will be mine this weekend. I will keep you posted.
Linda if you get it I want to marry your machine...I want to be Mr that machine!!

Billy
Valerie's gonna love that ;)
Old 06-11-2010, 10:05 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by BKinCO
Valerie's gonna love that ;)
Valerie gets a kick out of it when I say it.

We were watching iCarly one day and Sam said that she wanted to "marry that pie, I want to be Mrs that pie!!!" And since then I have been saying that to anything that I find that I want!!

Billy
Old 06-11-2010, 10:21 PM

I understand that the sewing machine dealers' association voted the Singer 201 the best machine EVER manufacturered.

It's a sweet machine, sews beautifully and sews just about anything.

One warning: Do NOT take apart the bobbin assembly - the area that holds the bobbin case - to clean it if you can possibly avoid it. It's a real bear to get back on. It looks like it is on, but won't sew unless you get it just so. It's very frustrating, even for the professionals. Ask me how I know!

Cricket
Old 06-11-2010, 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by cricket_iscute
I understand that the sewing machine dealers' association voted the Singer 201 the best machine EVER manufacturered.

It's a sweet machine, sews beautifully and sews just about anything.

One warning: Do NOT take apart the bobbin assembly - the area that holds the bobbin case - to clean it if you can possibly avoid it. It's a real bear to get back on. It looks like it is on, but won't sew unless you get it just so. It's very frustrating, even for the professionals. Ask me how I know!

Cricket
I learned this the hard way last week. It's actually not that hard to get back on, it's just that the instructions in the book are very poor. I finally found the key to getting it back together on the Tools For Self Reliance site.
Old 06-11-2010, 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by EC
I am feeling pretty inadequate in the knowledge department myself. Is there any thing that shows the major difference in the different singer machines? Any kind of a list that shows which machine's feed dogs can drop, etc.? Seems like many of you praise your 201's and others favor their 15's or clones. And what are the numbers after the model #s indicative of? 66-1, 15-90, etc. Anything would be helpful, especially when looking around for machines.

Thanks,
Elaine
This might help:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/vintag...r%20ID%20Help/
Old 06-11-2010, 10:51 PM

Cricket since you are on line at this time, I have a question about a vintage machine. I have my mother's old singer, I just dug it out of the storage cabinet and checked the serial number. AB355986, I went to singer.com and looked up the serial number, it said this machine is a 127 and was made in the time period of October, 22, 1926. What do you know about this machine? I learned to sew on this machine. I know it was a tredle to begin with and mother had a motor put on in in the late 40's or very early 50's. She took it out of the tredle cabinet when we moved from Tx. to Ky in 1959, and we don't have the cabinet now. Other than being an antique, and it always sewed well, has a thin straight bobbin that fits in a bullet shaped encasement, this machine has a front and rear slide feed dog plate, and cross threads to wind the bobbin. I know that. Gerbie