Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 06-10-2010, 03:15 PM
EC

Originally Posted by Darcene
Ok, time to educate me.....how is the 201 better/different from a 66?
I am feeling pretty inadequate in the knowledge department myself. Is there any thing that shows the major difference in the different singer machines? Any kind of a list that shows which machine's feed dogs can drop, etc.? Seems like many of you praise your 201's and others favor their 15's or clones. And what are the numbers after the model #s indicative of? 66-1, 15-90, etc. Anything would be helpful, especially when looking around for machines.

Thanks,
Elaine
Old 06-10-2010, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by roseOfsharon
Has anyone heard of a Vertical Feed treadle sewing machine?
This machine may be a Davis. You can buy a manual on line at The Treadler Village if it is a Davis.
Old 06-10-2010, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by KenZ
Just wanted to post how a Featherweight was delivered to me buy the USPS. I was told by a USPS supervisor that the first insurance claim was lost in the mail. The resubmitted claim was denied, because the box was not crushed enough. Is it USPS policy to turn down all claims the first time through or is it because I got a little upset hearing my claim was lost in the mail.
Seems to me that the seller should be responsible for refunding to you. Did you get this off ebay?
Old 06-10-2010, 03:19 PM

Has anyone heard of a Vertical Feed treadle sewing machine?
This machine may be a Davis. You can buy a manual on line at The Treadler Village if it is a Davis.
Ohh, thank you KenZ .. I will look it up!
Old 06-10-2010, 03:24 PM

Just wanted to post how a Featherweight was delivered to me buy the USPS. I was told by a USPS supervisor that the first insurance claim was lost in the mail. The resubmitted claim was denied, because the box was not crushed enough. Is it USPS policy to turn down all claims the first time through or is it because I got a little upset hearing my claim was lost in the mail.
Seems to me that the seller should be responsible for refunding to you. Did you get this off ebay?
A long story, but to make it short ebay stepped up to the plate and hit a home run with my opinion of them and the customer service they provide.
Old 06-10-2010, 03:45 PM

I'm so sorry about the machine Ken...such a waste of a beautiful machine all due to a shipper not caring enough to pack it to survive anything short of a bulldozer....and while it is nice that the money will be taken care of, it still can't compensate for the disappointment in the loss of the machine.....
Old 06-10-2010, 03:49 PM

Billy, I just called McCall on the Cape. She said to give her another week to sort out stuff. I offered to help and of course I offered hubby's help,too! I gave her my phone# and name so I am hoping I will hear from her. Sharon
Old 06-10-2010, 04:04 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Darcene
Ok, time to educate me.....how is the 201 better/different from a 66?
it is the smoothest running machine you have ever used. Stand a nickle on edge in the middle of the bed and run it wide open. It should not move at all. And you can literally sew through anything you throw at it. There was one seller on ebay that sewn aluminum cans together, pieces of 1/4" plywood, the guy was an idiot but the damn thing did it.

I want a 201K so bad I can taste it, I had one and the seller took my money and ran.

Billy
Old 06-10-2010, 04:07 PM

Yesterday I strayed from the Singers and got this on eBay for $14.99. It was listed once before and I missed bidding on it, but it was relisted and the price was lowered so I just couldn't pass on it. Can't wait to get it to start cleaning it.

Billy, can we replace missing clearcoat or does the Liquid Gold do the job? What about using a car wax, or would that have a negative reaction with the paint?
Attached Thumbnails attachment-83098.jpe   attachment-83099.jpe  
Old 06-10-2010, 04:09 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by siss
hi billy. my husband just brought home a beautiful singer machine in a cabinet with three drawers and one door. the machine is knee operated.

we had to replace the light bulb. what a chore that was.
the serial # is JB410682 or it could be 882.

could you tell me anything about this machine and when it was built.

it is in really good condition, but no instructions or attachments.
bonus was he got it at the restore (habitat for humanity).

thank you for any information you have or anyone else that has info.
Oh boy you have one that I am going to have to call a friend about. She has the records for these machines but according to what I can find from Singer your machine was made in Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu, Québec, Canada and the year of the JB series was 1936.

Post a photo of you machine so we can see it, then maybey we can figure out what you have.

Billy