Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 06-10-2010, 04:10 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by BKinCO
Billy's gonna save them all!!!! ;)
Lord I wish I could!!!

Billy
Old 06-10-2010, 04:16 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by raynhamquilter
Billy, I just called McCall on the Cape. She said to give her another week to sort out stuff. I offered to help and of course I offered hubby's help,too! I gave her my phone# and name so I am hoping I will hear from her. Sharon
Sweet let me know and I want to see some photos!!! Looks like I am going to have to open the bank account for this one!!!!

Billy
Old 06-10-2010, 04:21 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by KenZ
Just wanted to post how a Featherweight was delivered to me buy the USPS. I was told by a USPS supervisor that the first insurance claim was lost in the mail. The resubmitted claim was denied, because the box was not crushed enough. Is it USPS policy to turn down all claims the first time through or is it because I got a little upset hearing my claim was lost in the mail.
Ken I can fix that but it will set you back quite a few dollars. Featherweights are kind of a crap shoot as to if they can be welded, depending on the foundry and the type of aluminum it can just melt away when I start on it. Or it will be a cinch to weld and polish back out and paint.

I have welded several Featherweights and everyone of them has been different but so far I have not had any run off and leave me so to speak. And I have welded Aluminum and Stainless for many,many years!

Billy
Old 06-10-2010, 04:23 PM

Ok, the 201 is indeed awesome....but how about the 15 series...are they close? What I'm trying to decide here is if my two 15-91s will do or should I get busy and find myself a sweet little 201?
Old 06-10-2010, 04:28 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Aurora
Yesterday I strayed from the Singers and got this on eBay for $14.99. It was listed once before and I missed bidding on it, but it was relisted and the price was lowered so I just couldn't pass on it. Can't wait to get it to start cleaning it.

Billy, can we replace missing clearcoat or does the Liquid Gold do the job? What about using a car wax, or would that have a negative reaction with the paint?
Yes you can put an automotive clear coat over what you have but it takes some serious know how and I wouldnt trust it to just anyone.

But you can use the Liquid Gold and it will hide a lot of the crazing and the missing varnish that is on the machine. It will not hurt the decals and it gives it a high gloss.

I think it is wonderful that you strayed from Singers. There were so many wonderful machines made during that era and each and everyone of them were very unique and offered innovations that the other didnt.

Come this Sunday I will have my second Non-Singer thanks to Charlee!!! I will have in my possession a pretty W&W D9!

Billy
Old 06-10-2010, 04:29 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Darcene
Ok, the 201 is indeed awesome....but how about the 15 series...are they close? What I'm trying to decide here is if my two 15-91s will do or should I get busy and find myself a sweet little 201?
Use the 15's and find you a 201........You can not have too many machines!!!

Billy
Old 06-10-2010, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Originally Posted by Aurora
Yesterday I strayed from the Singers and got this on eBay for $14.99. It was listed once before and I missed bidding on it, but it was relisted and the price was lowered so I just couldn't pass on it. Can't wait to get it to start cleaning it.

Billy, can we replace missing clearcoat or does the Liquid Gold do the job? What about using a car wax, or would that have a negative reaction with the paint?
Yes you can put an automotive clear coat over what you have but it takes some serious know how and I wouldnt trust it to just anyone.

But you can use the Liquid Gold and it will hide a lot of the crazing and the missing varnish that is on the machine. It will not hurt the decals and it gives it a high gloss.

I think it is wonderful that you strayed from Singers. There were so many wonderful machines made during that era and each and everyone of them were very unique and offered innovations that the other didnt.

Come this Sunday I will have my second Non-Singer thanks to Charlee!!! I will have in my possession a pretty W&W D9!

Billy
Way to go! Don't you just love this hobby?
Old 06-10-2010, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by roseOfsharon
Has anyone heard of a Vertical Feed treadle sewing machine?
Oh yeah--I have one of those, too! It's open and ready to quilt my DGD's baby quilt on. The Davis Vertical Feed is a needle-feed machine. There's no feed dogs, so basically you have a walking foot sewing machine. I love mine--it's great for straight-line quilting. The needles are more expensive than 15 X 1, but are out there. If you'd like a copy of the manual, I have a xeroxed copy that I can reprint for you--contact me through a private message.

If it's not terribly expensive, this is one you'll want!!

And Billy, I'll start looking for a 201 for you--you NEED one!! LOL!
Old 06-10-2010, 04:42 PM

raynhamquilter AKA Sharon! 1947
Old 06-10-2010, 04:51 PM

Billy, if I hear from McCall you will all get pictures here. I saw a girl from Millis was interested, too. Maybe she would like to go with me? I am WAY behind on my reading==trying to catch up! I LOVE this thread. It is FUN. I have just bought a red eye off ebay (in poor shape), I own an old FREE in a damaged parlor cabinet, and my FIRST LOVE a Singer from 1967 with cams and everything that still runs like a top. Of course I will post pics when I can. And of course I have a Viking #1 and Huskylock serger and a Janome10001 and a Janome 6600P. Now that I am here I know I am NOT the ONLY Crazy!