Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 12-04-2010, 10:58 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by gale
can I ask a question here? On my new featherweight the paint is chipped in places. Do I *need* to cover that up with the testor pen (or whatever kind) or is it ok to leave it as is? I prefer to leave it unless it'll start corroding or something.
It will start to corrode so I would try to touch it up if you could. Try using an automotive paint on it if you can get a small amount mixed. It is a lot more durable and will last longer than the enamel.

Billy
Old 12-04-2010, 11:02 PM
Banned

Oiling a machine..........I oil mine every time I use one. I feel like you can not over oil it by putting a drop where the metal touches metal. Sometimes I will go a while between oilings but I stay on top of them if I can. But remember I have 19 machines in the studio that I can use at any time, so I try to juggle around which machine I use for which ever quilt I make.

Billy
Old 12-04-2010, 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Originally Posted by gale
can I ask a question here? On my new featherweight the paint is chipped in places. Do I *need* to cover that up with the testor pen (or whatever kind) or is it ok to leave it as is? I prefer to leave it unless it'll start corroding or something.
It will start to corrode so I would try to touch it up if you could. Try using an automotive paint on it if you can get a small amount mixed. It is a lot more durable and will last longer than the enamel.

Billy
Thanks Billy. Is there a certain automotive color that matches the black of the featherweight? I have a feeling that just as there are many shades of white, there are a few shades of black too.
Old 12-05-2010, 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by Darcene
Now, for the cabinet.....it measures 17 7\8"x31" with an opening that measures 16 5\8"x11 1\2".....the opening cover lifts toward the user and then folds into thirds which then fold into the machine...I have never seen one like this before...but for $2.50 I didn't think I could go wrong......inside the folding part of the top is 308D---I don't know if this means anything or not. I will have to see if any of my machines will fit into this....

Here are the photos:
It looks like a Singer cabinet. Did you measure distance between hinges?
Old 12-05-2010, 06:03 AM

What a great haul. Have fun playing with them all.
Old 12-05-2010, 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Oiling a machine..........I oil mine every time I use one. I feel like you can not over oil it by putting a drop where the metal touches metal. Sometimes I will go a while between oilings but I stay on top of them if I can. But remember I have 19 machines in the studio that I can use at any time, so I try to juggle around which machine I use for which ever quilt I make.

Billy
Billy I am so glad to hear that you believe in oiling too! I was almost afraid to state how often I oil -- in reality I oil my machines quite often -- I thought maybe I was overdoing it! Nice to hear I am not!

Nancy
Old 12-05-2010, 06:20 AM

Check out this 1864 Wheeler and Wilson machine and cabinet! And the price!

http://cgi.ebay.com/1864-Wheeler-and...item27adba2885

Nancy
Old 12-05-2010, 06:28 AM

I sure would enjoy a place just for vintage machines. Since my husband has come home from the very long stay in the hospital I have purchased 3 of them! The first one arrived in five piecers due to being dropped in shipping. It was a beautiful old hand crank "Harris" but the crank end of the machine is what was broken in pieces. Then I got a Singer with the Sphinx on it but it is not so clean and doesn't work as the electrical is in rally bad condition. Then I purchased a White and it also really needs a good cleaning but the wireing is in horrible condition. Now my question is if I will ever be able to sew on these as I am really leary of the wiring or is there a way to re-wire them? Also Billy do you have a web site?
Old 12-05-2010, 06:55 AM

Darcene what a haul! Were they all from the same auction?

Nancy[/quote]

Yes, all from the same auction and the same lot...I bought 7 of the 12 machines in the lot....the others just weren't anything that I wanted.....some of these will end up going to other homes...I am seriously running out of room for all of the strays that I can't resist bringing home with me....
Old 12-05-2010, 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif

NICE! What a great day for you! Pruplefiend has a 237 that she gave a motorectomy and dropped the head into a treadle. She loves that machine. Do you own any treadles? Cute cabinet too; that looks like a fun project to restore. I love the side box.
I do have three treadles....I have yet to learn to sew with one, but I can't resist bringing them home with me...