Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 12-05-2010, 12:33 PM

Well all you knowledgeable people I need some help.

I finally got the time to do a little cleaning, oiling, and playing with my new Davis Vertical Feed VF2 machine. The machine will feed the fabric and seems to want to sew, but I can't figure out how to get it to pick up the shuttle thread. I finally got the thing to pull the thread up from the bottom, but it does not want to connect to the thread.

I know this must be a needle orientation problem, a shuttle problem, or a needle problem. I waited until now to play with the machine because I needed a new needle. I bought several Boye #10's off of e-bay. I know this is the right size because I looked it up on http://www.kelsew.info/domestic/davisVFmodels.html
There is a picture of my machine and information on it under "VF2."

It turns freely and feeds the fabric, but won't sew. The only thing missing is a thread guide on the head next to the tension disk. I don't think that would prevent it from picking up the bobbin thread. The only information I could find was a manual on ISMACS called "The New High Arm Davis Vertical Feed Sewing Machines." The machine pictured is different from my machine.

I am just sure, this problem is something to do 'operator error' with the way the needle is sitting or the shuttle threading?

Nancy
Old 12-05-2010, 12:41 PM

Oh here is picture of 'Betty.'

My DH had to weld the knee guard back together, sand blast, and paint it. The pitman was also messed up, DH fixed that and welded the treadle - pedal back together. Otherwise, the machine is in pretty good shape, except for the missing thread guide. Also, I need a couple wheels/casters for the bottom of the treadle, there are a couple missing.

Billy do you have the thread guide and wheel/casters?

Oh and Quiltaddict, I haven't decided if I am going to keep this machine or not, but if I decide to let her go, you can have her for the $25 I paid plus the needles if you still want her.

Nancy
Attached Thumbnails attachment-138692.jpe   attachment-138693.jpe  
Old 12-05-2010, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by Miz Johnny
Originally Posted by Darcene
Darcene what a haul! Were they all from the same auction?

Nancy
Yes, all from the same auction and the same lot...I bought 7 of the 12 machines in the lot....the others just weren't anything that I wanted.....some of these will end up going to other homes...I am seriously running out of room for all of the strays that I can't resist bringing home with me....
I am working on emptying out my basement so all these millions of machines can go down there. I have thrown out the furniture and put the fabric in storage. It will take a while, but I will have a dungeon full of machines sometime in the next millennium.[/quote]

Now, I understand why we don't hear from you and Darcene as much, you both are too too busy rearranging your collection.
Old 12-05-2010, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles

My DH had to weld the knee guard back together, sand blast, and paint it. The pitman was also messed up, DH fixed that and welded the treadle - pedal back together. Otherwise, the machine is in pretty good shape, except for the missing thread guide. Also, I need a couple wheels/casters for the bottom of the treadle, there are a couple missing.

Nancy
Well I found a manual I think for this machine. I can't find a free one so I will order one, but I found out some interesting informaton about the Davis VF2. This machine was made sometime between 1869 and 1890. I knew it was a pre 1900's because of the wood pitman. The only dates on the machine are 1869 - patent dates - which, made me figure it was about 1870's to 1880's. In my reseach to find out what I am doing wrong I discovered that these machines were only made by Davis until early 1890's when they were replaced with "more conventional models employing feed dogs."

This gives me 3 pre 1900 machines! My 1887 Wheeler and Wilson, my 1898 Model 28, and now this Davis VF2.

Now if I could only get it to work I'd really be excited! Miz Johnny, I know you have one! What is the secret to getting these things to work? Maybe someone put in the wrong shuttle before I got it? Do you play with the needle placement?
What size bobbins does it take - M100 Davis long? -- T130 Davis Short? The shuttle seems to fit perfect now, but the thread is nowhere near the side the needle comes down near.
Nancy
Old 12-05-2010, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by gale
can I ask a question here? On my new featherweight the paint is chipped in places. Do I *need* to cover that up with the testor pen (or whatever kind) or is it ok to leave it as is? I prefer to leave it unless it'll start corroding or something.
The machine is aluminum, it wont corrode unless it is exposed to lots of salt air.
Old 12-05-2010, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by gale
can I ask a question here? On my new featherweight the paint is chipped in places. Do I *need* to cover that up with the testor pen (or whatever kind) or is it ok to leave it as is? I prefer to leave it unless it'll start corroding or something.
My Centennial(1851-1951) FW is missing paint down to bare metal and its fine, just don't get it near salt water and there won't be any problems with it.
Old 12-05-2010, 03:47 PM

Nancy,
Thanks for posting pictures and your dealings with getting this machine working. I'm learning lots from your posts. That cabinet is beautiful! I can just picture how gorgeous it would look fully refinished. Your husband did a very nice job on the treadle too!
Old 12-05-2010, 06:27 PM

....................... Nancy
Duh!!
I just got your name for your machine -Betty Davis.
Too clever!

Cindy
Old 12-05-2010, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by Cindy Lou Who

....................... Nancy
Duh!!
I just got your name for your machine -Betty Davis.
Too clever!

Cindy
I was going to ask why the name, thank you for answering the question.
Old 12-05-2010, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Nancy,
Thanks for posting pictures and your dealings with getting this machine working. I'm learning lots from your posts. That cabinet is beautiful! I can just picture how gorgeous it would look fully refinished. Your husband did a very nice job on the treadle too!
Vintagemotif, what you working on in the avatar? The colors are gorgeous.