Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 06-03-2011, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by deplaylady
I am the new owner of a 99K! $40 from CL - I posted pictures in my other topic I started yesterday. I'm going to need a new cord, but I am tempted to put a crank on it. Not sure how hard it would be or if it makes sense. I guess I'm going to have to start naming machines - I have a FW coming home next week, too.
Congratulations your new 99K and the FW that is going to be living at your house!

Nancy
Old 06-03-2011, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by Suzi
32 machines??? Great Heavens - where do you keep them all? Have you sewn on all of them?

Clone or not - I don't care as long as that perfect little straight stitch keeps coming from the one that lives here with me. I have 6 (as I mentioned earlier): an Arlington treadle complete with coffin top, a Singer Red-eye treadle, a Singer in a bentwood case, a New Home in a table, a Singer Stylist and my favorite - the Challenge. I know I'm going to keep looking but whatever I find will have to be super special 'cause I have no more room. Remind me that I said that when I find the next one .............
Well, 16 of the machines live in my sewing room along with an HQ 16 long arm on a 10' table! The rest are placed throughout the house or on shelves if they are not in a cabinet.

I use every one of my machines, but a 1930 New Home - Light Running - that needs a friction motor, and a second New Home T No 3 from 1926 that needs the same type of friction motor.

I just finished tonight doing some piecing with my 66-6 that we saved to use as a parts machine - I have a very hard time parting out a machine - actually, I have NEVER parted out a machine! They all get fixed! Geeze, do I have a problem! But Wow that 66 sews perfectly! Pictured on page 1004.

There are quite a few people on here who have a lot more machines than I have -- Miz Johnny, I think has a couple hundred!

Nancy
Old 06-04-2011, 02:44 AM

Originally Posted by miriam
Originally Posted by olebat
Originally Posted by miriam
What I viewed on line, and the description of the machine sounded like a portable.
It may well be portable!!! Look under the lift lid and see if there is a lever under there. If you push the lever the machine will just pop out of the metal basket that holds the machine in the cabinet. It is so easy once you figure it out.
. . . I'll need a case of some sort, and sole feet?
I found replacement rubber feet at http://shop.sew-classic.com/Singer-3...-Parts_c37.htm - or it might be on her 401 page
- cheap too.
You are so right. Excellent prices. I'll send some business there for sure. Danke for the site link.
Old 06-04-2011, 03:07 AM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Originally Posted by Minnesota newbie
Anyone know much about 31-15 singer I picked it up today.runs great,have to get manual for this one also.This is an addiction getting these old machines.Ha AG489603 came with taable that holds motor,machine,thread holder,wide foot pedal and on/off switch
I think Billy got a 31 for doing FM work. The 31's are industrial machines, larger than a domestic model. Can you post a picture for us to see? I'd love to see the machine.

Nancy
I will try to post after we get back from fishing
Old 06-04-2011, 03:18 AM

Originally Posted by jljack
OMG, what do I do now? What I viewed on line, and the description of the machine sounded like a portable. (Wooden case was mentioned, not wooden cabinet.) I didn't need another cabinet either, but I'm tickled to have it. I guess I still need to look for a portable 301. I also need a good chain stitch machine, so I'll continue to watch the sales, and when able, hit the thrift stores and antique shops. Never know what I'll drag home next.
Olebat, if that is indeed a 301 cabinet it is in, it should be easily removed to be able to make it portable. There should be only one lever to push to release it from the cabinet.
Portables store in the walk out basement, easy to load to take on the road for sewing classes. The cabinets are rapidly filling the house. I've had classes here on some those machines. By the end of the summer, (we hope,) most of the machines in cabinets will go to the new 4-H center. I'll keep the 201, 301, a 15 and a 66 and one of the treadles here at home for personal use. Most of the portables will store at the 4-H center, as those are also the ones we use for loaners. Most of the portables are a mix mash of donated and salvaged machines. It doesn't take much for the kids to mess them up. Where as, the old classics are close to indestructible. We can spend our class time sewing, not trouble shooting a problem machine. So, my goal is still to collect a total of 25, portable, FW and or 301's in compact portable cases, to take on the road for sewing classes.
Old 06-04-2011, 03:46 AM

Originally Posted by chris_quilts
Unique sewing cabinet got today. It has Duncan Phyfe looking feet and is something I've not seen before. Any guesses as to it's age? Just curious.
How super neat!!!!
Old 06-04-2011, 05:24 AM

Originally Posted by luce321
Nancy, your monthly mini is so pretty and colorful, but what is it. Is it a mini quilt? Also, your machine is beautiful, happy for you.

Lucy
Yes Lucy, the Monthly Mini's are miniature quilts. If you go to patchabilities.com you can see what they have. The mini's are a lot of fun to do for holiday decorations or just to do something that is quick and easy - as apposed to what I usually do, which is a queen/king sized quilt.

Nancy
Old 06-04-2011, 05:44 AM

Originally Posted by jpete523
Randa ...
If your Dressmaker has a serial number with JA then it's probably a clone just like Bojangles explained. If not, then call White, they answer "Viking, Pfaff", and they can research the number and tell you when it was manufactured and possibly the location. Their number is 1-800-446-2333.

I was sure my Dressmaker was a clone because it looks just like a Singer 15. It has a side mounted tension knob, a knob on top to release the pressure foot pressure, and a dial marked "normal, silk, embroidery" which drops the feed dogs. I thought "Yay! FMQ!!" But I couldn't find a JA serial number on it. It's serial number is all numerals. So I called White and sure enough it was made by White in 1957 probably in Cleveland, Ohio. I like finding out a machine's heritage when I can so I think it's fun to have a date and maker.

Good luck on finding out about yours.
Jan
Jan and everyone who seems to be confused as to what a Singer's Model 15 clone looks like here are a couple pictures I am re-posting of my 15 clone. The first dead give away that you have a 15 clone is the tension dial's location on the face of the machine. See the side view - there is no tension on the side of the head facing you like most machines -- the tension disk is on the face plate - in front. When you find a machine like this, that is not an actual Singer, it is a clone of the Singer Model 15.

Now as far as Dressmaker, several companies had a machine they called Dressmaker or Dressmaker something. In fact, there is a very cheap Brother I think Wal Mart sells today called a Dressmaker. Anyway, the way you know for sure is that tension disk. Only Singers or Singer clones had that tension disk located on the face.

Does this help?

Nancy

15 clone see tension disk on face of the machine
[ATTACH=CONFIG]206451[/ATTACH]

15 clone - no tension disk on head facing you like all other machines
[ATTACH=CONFIG]206453[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-206445.jpe   attachment-206447.jpe  
Old 06-04-2011, 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by jpete523
Nancy,

Do you have any knowledge about Western Electric sewing machines? I have a wonderful chainstitch with a hand crank that is badged Western Electric. But I am clueless about how to thread it. It was threaded when I bought it but it's not correct because the stitch knots up when you sew. It looks a lot like a Wilcox and Gibbs. Maybe I could use a W & G threading diagram? Thank you for your help!
Jan
Jan, the only thing I know about Western Electric is that National made Western Electric machines from 1917 to 1918 - only 2 years. I also know that Graybar was first called Western Electric. Graybar split off from Western Electric in 1925 to become Graybar. I think the person on here who understands the whole Western Electric, National, Graybar thing is Monica (Vintagemotif) as she has two different Two Spools machines and she has done some research on them. Those chain stitch machines did thread pretty much the same. I'd try a Wilcox & Gibbs threading route, but maybe Monica can help with that too.

Nancy

Here is some information on the Wilcox and Gibbs and how to thread one. http://www.sewalot.com/willcox_gibbs.htm
Old 06-04-2011, 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by sew wishful
Thanks, Jan...here's a pic of mine:
Randa, that Dressmaker is NOT a 15 clone. See where your tension disk is located on the front facing you. It is a very pretty machine, though!

Nancy