Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 06-04-2011, 11:59 AM

The machine that came to my door is a Singer Stylist 533 - made in Great Britain, maybe in the late 70s. The cabinet operates in a very strange manner. It doesn't seem safe to me. I'll try to get a picture later. The machine is a mix of metal and plastic and very dirty. Turns smoothly and all the levers work. It has no bobbin and no needle, so I can't try to sew right now. I'm sure I have bobbins that will fit it, but I only have metal in that size. Okay, back to the flowers. I can play with machines after dark.

This one was headed to the dumpster if I didn't take it. Poor dirty girl.
Old 06-04-2011, 12:10 PM

Need help, please. I just bought a Singer 1902 Model 28K hand crank machine. The handle on the crank is missing. Where is the best place to get a replacement hand crank set up??

Texas Jan
Old 06-04-2011, 12:11 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by irishrose
The machine that came to my door is a Singer Stylist 533 - made in Great Britain, maybe in the late 70s. The cabinet operates in a very strange manner. It doesn't seem safe to me. I'll try to get a picture later. The machine is a mix of metal and plastic and very dirty. Turns smoothly and all the levers work. It has no bobbin and no needle, so I can't try to sew right now. I'm sure I have bobbins that will fit it, but I only have metal in that size. Okay, back to the flowers. I can play with machines after dark.

I don't like those. They have a belt on the bottom. If it sets too long the belt kind of likes to keep the same shape and then eventually breaks. Then you have to have it timed to get a new belt on it. Lots of work... not a great machine. Get an older singer.
Old 06-04-2011, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Originally Posted by sew wishful
Thanks, Jan...here's a pic of mine:
Randa, that Dressmaker is NOT a 15 clone. See where your tension disk is located on the front facing you. It is a very pretty machine, though!

Nancy
No, I didn't think the Dressmaker I have is a clone....but I saw a blue machine at the antique mall that I wondered about being a clone. It's so pretty! Metalic blue and if my memory serves me correctly (and many times it doesn't) I think it said HOME on it. $39 and the wiring was all cracked and I'd be afraid to run it until it was rewired. I'd take it for $25. I've asked him to come down on the price but he won't budge!
I played with the dressmaker last night and this AM...cleaned all the lint out, oiled it a bit, and it sews a good stitch, but it's pretty noisy!! I didn't play with the cams at all. Looks to be complete except for a book!
Old 06-04-2011, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by sew wishful
...but I saw a blue machine at the antique mall that I wondered about being a clone. It's so pretty! Metalic blue and if my memory serves me correctly (and many times it doesn't) I think it said HOME on it. $39 and the wiring was all cracked and I'd be afraid to run it until it was rewired. I'd take it for $25. I've asked him to come down on the price but he won't budge!
That guy still won't come down? Hmmm.... wonder how long it will take him to come down?

:shock: :roll:
Old 06-04-2011, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by miriam

I don't like those. They have a belt on the bottom. If it sets too long the belt kind of likes to keep the same shape and then eventually breaks. Then you have to have it timed to get a new belt on it. Lots of work... not a great machine. Get an older singer.
I don't need to get another Singer. I have a 128 and a 301, a metal Kenmore, plus my precious Elna, a 1949 Necchi and my treadle. I only took this one in to save her from the dumpster. I will clean her up and find her a home. If she needs too much work, the head will go to a repairman for parts and I'll decide what to do with the cabinet.
Old 06-04-2011, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by quiltdoctor
Need help, please. I just bought a Singer 1902 Model 28K hand crank machine. The handle on the crank is missing. Where is the best place to get a replacement hand crank set up??

Texas Jan
Texas Jan, send Billy a pm. I bought a really nice HC from Billy for my 99k.

Nancy
Old 06-04-2011, 02:00 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by miriam

I don't need to get another Singer. I have a 128 and a 301, a metal Kenmore, plus my precious Elna, a 1949 Necchi and my treadle. I only took this one in to save her from the dumpster. I will clean her up and find her a home. If she needs too much work, the head will go to a repairman for parts and I'll decide what to do with the cabinet.
sounds like a plan
Old 06-04-2011, 02:14 PM

This is interesting. http://sacramento.craigslist.org/art/2419844747.html

That machine is the exact same machine as my Morse 15 clone. The one I just posted! It is not an industrial machine - it is a domestic machine -, but people put that on the ad thinking they can get more money for the machine. I paid $25 at a yard sale for mine - which was a steal -- because it is easily worth more, but not $150!

Nancy
Old 06-04-2011, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by quiltdoctor

Texas Jan
Contact my repair man (http://www.theoldsewingmachineman.com/). I bought a 128K Singer hand crank from him about 2 years ago. He's the only one that I will allow to even look at my machines.