Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 05-27-2011, 07:45 AM

Nancy, your clutch purse is too cute! What pattern did you use? Did you post it in the 'pictures' section? You should, if you didn't.

You know, I learned to sew on a treadle when I was in 7th grade at my school; and I have 3 treadles. Two of them we have restored... and I have yet, to sew on any of them. What on earth is wrong with me? LOL :roll: :roll:

I love treadles and do like electric very much. Hmmm... does that make me a mixed bag? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 05-27-2011, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Nancy, that is a cute machine! I also like your Monthly Mini and the holder that it is on. Where did you get that holder? And the black dots for water, what is that material or medium that you used?
The Monthly Mini is not available in stores or on line right now - at least not the ones I am doing - there are some from last year I think that are now available. You have to enroll in a quilt store Monthly Mini class in order to get those patterns -- lots of fun -- and instant gratification, not like doing a king size quilt! The water dots are crystals I put on with a bejeweler type of tool. The holders are available - I think if you go to Patchabilities. The fabrics are just from fat quarters and fused down with Steam a Seam or I use Shades Softfuse, then appliqued using my Rocketeer and the #8 cam - a blanket type stitch. The little wall hanging is sandwhiched like any quilt and quilted when I do the machine applique' part. We will be doing a new one each month!

Nancy
That is such a cute mini quilt. I think I could replicate that on my own one day. Right now, I have too many projects going. The quilt look adorable hanging on that holder. Thanks for sharing!
Old 05-27-2011, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by SewExtreme
Nancy, your clutch purse is too cute! What pattern did you use? Did you post it in the 'pictures' section? You should, if you didn't.

You know, I learned to sew on a treadle when I was in 7th grade at my school; and I have 3 treadles. Two of them we have restored... and I have yet, to sew on any of them. What on earth is wrong with me? LOL :roll: :roll:

I love treadles and do like electric very much. Hmmm... does that make me a mixed bag? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Open one of those treadles up and start sewing with her. I hear them calling you. Teach your kids and grandkids how to use the machines too! I just bet you will have fun using them again. What machines do you have?
Old 05-27-2011, 09:40 AM

Open one of those treadles up and start sewing with her. I hear them calling you. Teach your kids and grandkids how to use the machines too! I just bet you will have fun using them again. What machines do you have?
Well, my kids are all grown up and I am teaching some of my grandchildren. When they come to my farm, they love to turn the handcranks... some times for hours. They have sewn on my FW, 1975 Bernina 830 and my Bernina Artista. I have a Jones Co. fiddlehead treadle; and I am going to have to go look at the other two and get back here to let you know what they are. I just brought home a Singer 301A yesterday. I am cleaning her today.

:-D
Old 05-27-2011, 09:47 AM

Hey, all-thought I'd drop by for a cup and a chat, if you don't mind. It's nice to have found someone that isn't me or my osmg that's got a kink for old machines. :-)

I have a White (Betty the Backup) that I bought new in 2003 or so, but the older she gets, the finickier she is about bobbins. The moon has to be in the right house, you have to hold your tongue just so, and sometimes, she requires a blood sacrifice. (I swear, I haven't poked myself on all of my other machines needles collectively as much as I have on hers by herself!)

So I started looking around for a replacement, and ran into Noriko at the local Salvation Army. Noriko is a Riccar, built in Japan in the mid-60's. I like Noriko, and we've had a good couple of years together, but I've been holding out for what I really wanted-a Singer 237.

Which I finally found, also at the SA. Her previous owner smoked like a chimney but otherwise took good care of her, so after a good bath, I hauled her off to my osmg to have her noisy motor switched out for a 1 amp motor, which I like much better. She's currently in a hacked 70's Futura cabinet-the machine was garbage but I liked the drawer space, so... She also doesn't have a name yet-any suggestions?

Also from the SA (that place is a goldmine for old sewing machines, definitely!) is a nice little Singer Spartan I found. According to Singer, Fenella was made in 1949. She was frozen when I got her, but a healthy slopping of oil and some patience has got her working again. Unfortunately, I don't have any pics of her yet.

My most recent acquisition is a New Willard treadle in a pretty little parlor cabinet from the mid-20's or so. Mrs Willard came from an antique shop, and was still threaded and sewing. The story I got is that she'd been in regular use by the daughter of her original owner until just recently. She's actually the one I have the most trouble with; she sews beautifully, but I forget to keep my feet going, and can't treadle with both feet anyway. That and stopping without letting the treadle rock. I'm working on it. :)

Anyway, thanks for letting me natter. I'm slowly reading my way through the read, but I keep getting hung up on admiring everybody else's pretty machines!
Attached Thumbnails attachment-203029.jpe   attachment-203035.jpe   attachment-203036.jpe   attachment-203045.jpe  
Old 05-27-2011, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Originally Posted by Kathie S.
Judy you are to funny. :-D The clutch purses is also Nancy's. These responses are hard to tell who said what. Have a wonderful evening. Kathie
Kathie did a clutch purse at Girls Night Out along with most of the people there! I was too busy trying to fix a FW so I didn't get to sew, but that was a good thing! Anyway, I now have my clutch purse, which I made using only my Model 127 Sphinx treadle! That was interesting, as the little purse had to have several seams 'locked' as this was not just piecing like a quilt! I learned to screw that stitch regulator all the way out to sew in place - I can't do it fast like when you are nearing the end of the seam -- so I got a few places with thread balls -- but the seams are locked and the purse should hold up! I am pretty proud of the fact that the purse is made exclusively using a treadle! It would have been much easier to make something like the purse by sneaking in and using one of my electric machines with reverse!

Nancy
Ok I think I've slowed down enough to read the posting correctly this time :lol:
Nancy your clutch purse is too cute! I really like the colors and the fact you did it all on a treadle is pretty impressive. ~ Kathie I am sure yours turned out wonderful too :thumbup:
I promised myself that I would take time this weekend to figure out how to use the binder attachments on my 66 treadle and quilt batting to the backside of some fabric that I want to make into a sling purse. I am not sure about making the purse on the treadle but will definitely use one of the other VSM's that has a reverse. Wished I had a Davis treadle to use... one of these days I might find one needing adopted.

Judy
Old 05-27-2011, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by MrsBoats
Hey, all-thought I'd drop by for a cup and a chat, if you don't mind. It's nice to have found someone that isn't me or my osmg that's got a kink for old machines. :-)

I have a White (Betty the Backup) that I bought new in 2003 or so, but the older she gets, the finickier she is about bobbins. The moon has to be in the right house, you have to hold your tongue just so, and sometimes, she requires a blood sacrifice. (I swear, I haven't poked myself on all of my other machines needles collectively as much as I have on hers by herself!)

So I started looking around for a replacement, and ran into Noriko at the local Salvation Army. Noriko is a Riccar, built in Japan in the mid-60's. I like Noriko, and we've had a good couple of years together, but I've been holding out for what I really wanted-a Singer 237.

Which I finally found, also at the SA. Her previous owner smoked like a chimney but otherwise took good care of her, so after a good bath, I hauled her off to my osmg to have her noisy motor switched out for a 1 amp motor, which I like much better. She's currently in a hacked 70's Futura cabinet-the machine was garbage but I liked the drawer space, so... She also doesn't have a name yet-any suggestions?

Also from the SA (that place is a goldmine for old sewing machines, definitely!) is a nice little Singer Spartan I found. According to Singer, Fenella was made in 1949. She was frozen when I got her, but a healthy slopping of oil and some patience has got her working again. Unfortunately, I don't have any pics of her yet.

My most recent acquisition is a New Willard treadle in a pretty little parlor cabinet from the mid-20's or so. Mrs Willard came from an antique shop, and was still threaded and sewing. The story I got is that she'd been in regular use by the daughter of her original owner until just recently. She's actually the one I have the most trouble with; she sews beautifully, but I forget to keep my feet going, and can't treadle with both feet anyway. That and stopping without letting the treadle rock. I'm working on it. :)

Anyway, thanks for letting me natter. I'm slowly reading my way through the read, but I keep getting hung up on admiring everybody else's pretty machines!
I love your machines! The Willard is gorgeous. Purplefiend, Sharon, has a Singer 237 that she has in treadle. So, your Singer 237 can be treadled, and I think your Riccar can be put in treadle too (that is if you want to treadle those machines). Welcome and thanks for sharing!
Old 05-27-2011, 10:41 AM

Well, my kids are all grown up and I am teaching some of my grandchildren. When they come to my farm, they love to turn the handcranks... some times for hours. They have sewn on my FW, 1975 Bernina 830 and my Bernina Artista. I have a Jones Co. fiddlehead treadle; and I am going to have to go look at the other two and get back here to let you know what they are. I just brought home a Singer 301A yesterday. I am cleaning her today.

:-D
Those grandchildren would enjoy the treadles! Have fun with your Singer 301A.
Old 05-27-2011, 12:03 PM

Nancy love your purse and the mini quilts. Oh! heck I like everything you all put on here.

So want to show you 3 bags I made using my vintage machines. I used a 319 for the quilting of the material and a 301 for making the bags. I use the big bags when we go flea marking and carry things to my quilt club. The little bag carries my cross stitch project. Next time I quilt the material for another bag I am going to use one of the treadles I have and learn to use the machine by making straight rows.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-203113.jpe  
Old 05-27-2011, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by Crossstitcher
Nancy love your purse and the mini quilts. Oh! heck I like everything you all put on here.

So want to show you 3 bags I made using my vintage machines. I used a 319 for the quilting of the material and a 301 for making the bags. I use the big bags when we go flea marking and carry things to my quilt club. The little bag carries my cross stitch project. Next time I quilt the material for another bag I am going to use one of the treadles I have and learn to use the machine by making straight rows.
Very nice Trish! :thumbup:

Cleaning my 301 in between 'board breaks'. :D

? I am using GoJo for the parts, machine, etc. but what do you use to get the smoke smell out of the original cardboard boxes that different parts came in?