Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 11-11-2010, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by cherrybsixty
Originally Posted by gramquilter2
I have been following this thread from page 1 and enjoy seeing all the machines and reading the talk. So I am now going to try and post pictures of my machines.
Your gran is a little cutie, how old is she?
She just turned 9 and has finished 2 lap size quilts. She loves to quilt and even tied her first one all by herself.
Old 11-11-2010, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by cherrybsixty
I have been following this thread from page 1 and enjoy seeing all the machines and reading the talk. So I am now going to try and post pictures of my machines.
Your gran is a little cutie, how old is she?
She just turned 9 and has finished 2 lap size quilts. She loves to quilt and even tied her first one all by herself.
That is so special, my oldest sister was that age when she started to sew. That was back in the 40's. She's in heaven now, but she was a very talented seamstress in her day. Hopefully, your little gran will be as talented quilter.
Old 11-11-2010, 05:21 PM

Ok- I took all the advice I have gotten over what it is I really should be looking for in a back-up heavy duty machine. It seems like the consensus is a 15-91 will sew multi-layers and handbags with no problem at all.

I've also had a couple of people recommend a 201??

(Secretly, I really, really want a 15-125 because I love love love the mint green, but can't justify the boost in cost. Damn it.)

So, what does the 201 get me that the 15-91 doesn't. Or vice-versa?

You guys rock!
Old 11-11-2010, 05:43 PM

I have a Kenmore Model 117-959 serial #82319 looking for a manual any chance you have one. Got this cabinet and all for $10.00
Originally Posted by Lostn51
Hello All!!!!

Welcome to the Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.

This is where anyone who has a vintage machine or has interest in vintage sewing machines are welcome and feel free to pull up a stool and sit a spell!!!! :D :D :D

I want everyone to feel like they are family and do not be afraid to share knowledge with us. Remember this is OUR shop and I want it to be a wonderful place for us to step back into time and relive the "Golden Age" of sewing machines.

As you can tell by the decor it is almost like you just stepped back into history sometime in the 50's and boy would you look at the machines and the store front! No modern cars out there!! We have the Doo Wop and Big Band playing in the background and unlike some places we have all sorts of machines here from treadles to the latest and greatest Japanese machines (I wonder if they will ever catch on) and of course we even have several FW's!!

So now let the fun begin!!!

Billy
Old 11-11-2010, 06:07 PM

I have a Singer 66 (I guess it's called) and a Singer cabinet. For the life of me I can't figure out how to get the machine into the cabinet!

I've tried over and over until I can't hold up the machine anymore. The hole in the swiveling piece on the machine doesn't line up with the peg and even if it did, the hole tapers so the peg wouldn't go in more than a fraction of an inch.

It looks like the hinges in the cabinet need to come out and the ones on the machine need to be screwed to the cabinet? Is that correct??
Attached Thumbnails attachment-124216.jpe  
Old 11-11-2010, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by pittsburgpam
I have a Singer 66 (I guess it's called) and a Singer cabinet. For the life of me I can't figure out how to get the machine into the cabinet!

I've tried over and over until I can't hold up the machine anymore. The hole in the swiveling piece on the machine doesn't line up with the peg and even if it did, the hole tapers so the peg wouldn't go in more than a fraction of an inch.

It looks like the hinges in the cabinet need to come out and the ones on the machine need to be screwed to the cabinet? Is that correct??
It sure looks like it to me!!
Old 11-11-2010, 06:35 PM

That hole in the swiveling piece is for the screw. If you look at the present hinge in the cabinet you will see the set up. You can either take the hinges in the cabinet out and put the hinges that are in the machine in the space where the hinges were in the cabinet. Or you can take the pins out of the machine and put the pegs from the hinges that are in the cabinet now into the machine. If you look underneath the machine there is a tiny screw holding the peg/pin in place. You don't have to unscrew it all the way, just enough to pull the pin out from the machine. Hope that helps you.
Old 11-11-2010, 06:38 PM

Oh my gosh, you're right! I just took out the machine piece. I guess I should clean it before putting it in the cabinet. Isn't there a link or somethine on how to clean them?
Old 11-11-2010, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by hazeljane
Ok- I took all the advice I have gotten over what it is I really should be looking for in a back-up heavy duty machine. It seems like the consensus is a 15-91 will sew multi-layers and handbags with no problem at all.

I've also had a couple of people recommend a 201??

(Secretly, I really, really want a 15-125 because I love love love the mint green, but can't justify the boost in cost. Damn it.)

So, what does the 201 get me that the 15-91 doesn't. Or vice-versa?

You guys rock!
I have a 201 in a treadle and a 15-90 in a treadle. My daughter has a 15-91 which I have pieced and quilted with, but now I just use my treadles. I love the 201 for piecing and straight stitch quilting. It is a very very quiet machine and produces one of the prettiest straight stitches I have seen. I use my 15-90 for free-motion quilting since I feel it does a better job than the 201 for free-motion. I had read that that is because of the difference in bobbins. The 201 has the drop in horizontal bobbin (rotary hook), while the 15-90/91 have the vertical. Both are straight stitch machines with a back stitch. 15-90 have external motor and 15-91 pot belly internal motor. Also, you can use the 15-91 for everything and it does go through many layers of fabric. These machines are real work horses that are hard to break.
Old 11-11-2010, 07:10 PM
Banned

Oh my gosh, you're right! I just took out the machine piece. I guess I should clean it before putting it in the cabinet. Isn't there a link or somethine on how to clean them?
Here you go:

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-45816-1.htm

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-45983-1.htm

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-46696-1.htm

Billy