Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 12-31-2010, 03:19 PM

I'll keep an eye on the live chat then at those times. Sounds like fun!!
Old 12-31-2010, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by featherweight
Originally Posted by cabbagepatchkid
Originally Posted by BoJangles
Geeze, I guess I will have to find a 301 now! Well, that gives me something to look forward too! I am already looking for a 201 because of this thread!
What I really like about my 301 is that it is so "familiar" to me. I was able to thread it and load the bobbin without even looking at the booklet because that's the way all of my machines have threaded. My Phaff threads in such a strange way that I still need to look up the instructions every time I re-thread it. Winding the bobbin is weird, also.

I bought the book, "The Featherweight and I" by David McCallum, and I was able to fix the tensioner on my 301 just by reading his instructions because the FW and the 301 are quite a bit alike. I never would have thought that I could do it!!!!

ETA: 99K's are super HEAVY!!! My dental hygienist gave me her grandmother's 99K and when I went to pick it up I was shocked :shock: at the weight of it.
I will have to weigh mine if I can lift it off of the shelf. I know it sure feels like it weighs more than 6 lbs more than my 301. I'll get back to you.
I just went up and weighed my 99k. In the case it weighs 29.8 lbs. I think that is just a wee bit more than the 16 lbs the 301 weighs.
Old 12-31-2010, 03:31 PM
Banned

I just went up and weighed my 99k. In the case it weighs 29.8 lbs. I think that is just a wee bit more than the 16 lbs the 301 weighs.
The 99 is not a light machine even though the machine is a 3/4 sized machine. I think they found the heaviest cast iron they could find to make them. BUT there is an Aluminum 99K out there but they are not easy to find but they were made in huge numbers.

Billy
Old 12-31-2010, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by cabbagepatchkid
Originally Posted by BoJangles
Geeze, I guess I will have to find a 301 now! Well, that gives me something to look forward too! I am already looking for a 201 because of this thread!
ETA: 99K's are super HEAVY!!! My dental hygienist gave me her grandmother's 99K and when I went to pick it up I was shocked :shock: at the weight of it.
I will have to weigh mine if I can lift it off of the shelf. I know it sure feels like it weighs more than 6 lbs more than my 301. I'll get back to you.
And all that weight is packed into a tiny-ish machine. I wouldn't want one to get dropped on my foot!! :shock:
Old 12-31-2010, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
[ there is an Aluminum 99K out there but they are not easy to find but they were made in huge numbers.

Billy
Is weighing it the only way to tell the aluminum 99K from the cast iron one? Would the serial number reveal anything?
Old 12-31-2010, 03:56 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by whenpigsfly
Originally Posted by Lostn51
[ there is an Aluminum 99K out there but they are not easy to find but they were made in huge numbers.

Billy
Is weighing it the only way to tell the aluminum 99K from the cast iron one? Would the serial number reveal anything?
I think the serial boss is the only way you can tell if it is a white metal and a magnet will not stick then its aluminum.

Billy
Old 12-31-2010, 04:53 PM

I will try to do the live chat, but I will be cooking during this time. So, it will be peeks and a quick hello.
But for now...
Happy New Years to all!
Old 12-31-2010, 04:54 PM
Banned

I will be in there for a few hours at least until 1 am my time if I can stay up that long. ;-)

Billy
Old 12-31-2010, 05:07 PM

Ditto
Old 12-31-2010, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by Crossstitcher
Yesterday a man we know called DH and told him he had a sewing machine in a tradle cabinet he wanted to sell. We went to look today and it's a Singer 66 Red Eye year 1919. He also had (are you ready for this Nancy), a Davis VF machine in the cabinet. Looks real good and the shuttle and bobbin are still in the machine also a pack of needles. The 66 has several orginial bobbins. Both have the orginial boxes of jewelry. All the drawers are full of goodies. Anyway to make a long story short we will pick them up next week. There is so much snow we can get out the driveway with 2 wheel drive truck but can't get back in. Also like Ms Johnny we have two of our granddaughters with us ages 7-10. In the mean time have to find a place to put them.

What!@!!!!!! Where are you located???????? I am speechless! Let me know how you like the Davis Vertical Feed and please post a picture! I am in awe! I don't know what else to say except is there an extra shuttle I can buy@$@#%$$@#%#%?

What luck - good for you! That gives me hope that maybe I can get mine going or at least maybe one day find another one to trade parts with! At least I know they are out there!

Nancy