Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 11-12-2010, 05:15 AM

Amazon, are the flags on fabric? It looks to me like prints of the postage from 1976. There were reproductions of flags sold then, too. It was in honor of the bicentennial. Wasn't the Francis Hopkinson flag, stars set in a circle, the original flag of the USA?
Old 11-12-2010, 06:35 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by JaneK
Hello all, I have a singer 347 with serial number EY157328. Checked the singer date site and can't find the manufacturer date. It is baby blue and in great condition. Says made in Great Britain. Any help?
Thanks, Jane
Well it was made in Clydebank, Scotland and I am not sure of the year but more than likely around the mid 60's. That was a hopped up version of the 237 but the bobbin was turned 90* to face the operator to make it easier to change out. Then a few more changes were made but I am not sure what off the top of my head.

I used to think that the 237, 239, 347 and all the machines like that were sub standard to the earlier machines, but I stand corrected. I just finished servicing a 239 and that was the smoothest running and made the most beautiful stitch I have ever seen. And I have a 237 that I can not wait to use on a quilt start to finish because it is just as nice as the 239 (which is a straight stitch).

Billy
Old 11-12-2010, 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by purplefiend
Hi HazelJane,
I have both the 201 and 15-90 in treadle cabinets.
I'm a quilter and have found that the 201 is wonderful for piecing quilt blocks and straight line quilting, not so much for free motion quilting. FMQ with the 201 isn't a fun experience, I get lots of skipped stitches and its just a bad idea. The 201 is the smoothest, quietest machine I've ever sewn with.(I have a herd of machines)
The 15-90 is great for piecing,free motion quilting and straight line quilting. I've done FMQ for years with a modern machine(Bernina) and its got a Singer 15 bobbin configuration basically.
Sorry this post has been so wordy. :-D

Well, my Juki is the FMQ queen and I don't see that changing. What I want is a workhorse who can handle making bags while Juki's on the frame. I think the 15-91 is the one. We'll see.
Old 11-12-2010, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Originally Posted by JaneK
Hello all, I have a singer 347 with serial number EY157328. Checked the singer date site and can't find the manufacturer date. It is baby blue and in great condition. Says made in Great Britain. Any help?
Thanks, Jane
Well it was made in Clydebank, Scotland and I am not sure of the year but more than likely around the mid 60's. That was a hopped up version of the 237 but the bobbin was turned 90* to face the operator to make it easier to change out. Then a few more changes were made but I am not sure what off the top of my head.

I used to think that the 237, 239, 347 and all the machines like that were sub standard to the earlier machines, but I stand corrected. I just finished servicing a 239 and that was the smoothest running and made the most beautiful stitch I have ever seen. And I have a 237 that I can not wait to use on a quilt start to finish because it is just as nice as the 239 (which is a straight stitch).

billy, are you talking about the 239 from mccrory?

Billy
Old 11-12-2010, 08:51 AM

Look what FedEx just brought me!! Was watching EBay last Friday night and bid on a couple that I didn't get, I put a $200 bid on this and went home, didn't think I would ever get one for that. Monday morning I got email notice I had won this one!! It is purdy! July 11, 1939. Now I gotta figure out how to post the picture.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-124695.jpe   attachment-124696.jpe   attachment-124697.jpe  
Old 11-12-2010, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by buslady
Look what FedEx just brought me!! Was watching EBay last Friday night and bid on a couple that I didn't get, I put a $200 bid on this and went home, didn't think I would ever get one for that. Monday morning I got email notice I had won this one!! It is purdy! July 11, 1939. Now I gotta figure out how to post the picture.
Congratulations - you will LOVE your new toy!!
Old 11-12-2010, 09:07 AM

It is nice to know that it was somebody on this board that outbid me and will give that baby a good home. Congrats!!!!
Old 11-12-2010, 09:10 AM

You just got a very perty FW! The case looks really good too for being one of the oldest FW's! They were made between 1933/34 and 1969 I believe!

Congratulations!

Nancy
Old 11-12-2010, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by amazon
Here is my new baby, I found this jewel at a storage facillity recovery sale. The Bel-Air bantam and this fabric all for $15.00. How did I do?
Wow, it does look like a clone of the 99K. If it is, you should be able to get a bobbin slide plate to fit that machine with no problem. Of course maybe, the slide plate is there just not on the machine?

Anyway, a very nice machine it is!

Nancy
Old 11-12-2010, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
You just got a very perty FW! The case looks really good too for being one of the oldest FW's! They were made between 1933/34 and 1969 I believe!

Congratulations!

Nancy
The oldest FW case has a blueish green lining. I'd love to have the type of case that has the top tray, more storage for things. Very pretty FW!!!