Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 05-28-2011, 02:13 PM

Location: Ohio... wanna build a cabin in the woods and live off the land... and quilt all day!

I am waiting for info from the Pensacola listing ~ my gf in that same town could pick them up until I get there in about 5 weeks :) Seller is a quilter, just downsizing!
Old 05-28-2011, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by Kitzone
Trish and Nancy - You've motivated me! Got the fabric out to make the purse and wondered ~ Do you draw grid lines for quilting or do you use the Quilting Guide attachment only?

Trish your purses are so adorable - I specially like the pink plaid one. Thanks for posting your photos, it really was the boost I needed to get busy.

Judy
thanks for your comments. I did the big bags by marking with the ink pen that has disappearing ink. The other I did with the quilt attachment. But, I seem to sew better on the drawn lines than with the attachment.

:oops: :cry:
Old 05-28-2011, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by Minnesota newbie
Thank you so much ,even though not fw sure is neat machine but i can't seem to find manuals for either sure appreciate your in put as to what i bought thanks.I'll keep looking for FW is my machine anygood I sure look to find one I better read up more b4 I buy another
Hi,
Here is a bunch of info about your 1929 Singer 128.

http://www.singerco.com/support/machine-serial-numbers

Click on double prefixes
Scroll down and to the right you will see AC in red, click on that.
On the 3rd page you will find the range where your serial number falls.

Hope this helps.

Singer 128 commissioned April 24, 1929 to build. They commissioned 15, 000

Manual
http://parts.singerco.com/IPinstManuals/127_128.pdf

Copy of an original manual
http://www.ismacs.net/singer_sewing_...ls/127-128.pdf

:-D Have fun learning about your machine. :-D
Old 05-28-2011, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Originally Posted by Glenn
Hello fellow members of the the VSMS. I an back from camping and had a great time. Just my luck we had a tornado warning on the the fourth day at the camp grounds but it was nothing!! Did catch some fish and did a little hiking in the woods. Got ticks! Now we are home must mow yard and get ready for our next trip. I did some piecing with the FW on the rainy day. I have so much to catch up on this siite. You people are very busy here. Got to stencil my bent wood case and do other customer work. Glenn
Yuck, I hate ticks! I pull ticks off the horses everytime I take them out to Folsom Lake for a nice ride!

Glenn, isn't it fun to be able to sew on your FW while you guys are out camping? I wish when my parents were still alive and snowbirding all over the country I had known about FW's. Mom tried several different modern machines in the trailer because her Pfaff 130 was just too big, but she didn't like any of them - so she gave up on sewing for a short time! She would of loved a FW or even a 99 or Spartan, although, the 99's and Spartan's are really heavy!

Nancy
Yes the ticks were bad but could not resist the hiking in the wood. As you know I am not really that fond of the FW. but they are great on camping trips and they really sew very nice. They can go anywhere and very light. I still would not give up my 66-1 for anything but the FW wins out on camping trips. Glenn
Old 05-28-2011, 04:04 PM

I see someone answered that that foot is a pintucker----I have not done that for about 25 years! Used to make christening dresses with one!
Old 05-28-2011, 04:06 PM

I still would not give up my 66-1 for anything but the FW wins out on camping trips. Glenn[/quote]

Glenn you said your 66-1 and I remember someone saying that they had a 66-6. I have a 66, how can you tell the difference between and how can you tell what the third number is? Kathie
Old 05-28-2011, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by fabric whisperer
does anyone know what this foot's purpose is? I've seen some like it, but not quite... it came with my black case with my clone yesterday, but has the right fitting for son's Kenmore "tank" ~ ??? inquiring minds want to know :)
It kind of looks like my tucker. It's hard to see in this pic, but it has measurements on the back bar as well as the front. I haven't had a chance to use it yet, but I'm looking forward to making some cute little pin tucked things for my GDs.

tucker for FW
[ATTACH=CONFIG]203574[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-203568.jpe  
Old 05-28-2011, 05:52 PM

Charlee, what would you recommend for getting strong, strong cigarette smoke out of a wood sewing cabinet?

It made our van reek just bringing it home. It's in the garage till I get it odor-free. Really anxious to bring it in sew I can use my machine.
Old 05-28-2011, 06:13 PM

If anyone in SF Bay Area is looking for a 201, there is a free one listed on CLs in the cabinet No. 42.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/zip/2408277890.html
Old 05-28-2011, 06:48 PM

Location: Ohio... wanna build a cabin in the woods and live off the land... and quilt all day!

ugh, we've got son's Godzilla (he's naming it that LOL) into his room, and he's learned how to wind his bobbins (he did gray and red) and learned how to thread machine, oil machine, and setup his bobbin and pull the thread up. Then went to sew, and the presser foot raise lever would not work ~ UGH! So close!!! Tried to get the sidepanel off, took top screw off, but could not decipher if the lower tensioner was holding it back? Or needlebar? Or what. Could not get the side panel off? Need to get in there and ungunk / lube to break it free, but don't want to sproing anything important! Anyone know how to fix? He's so psyched to make his first "all on his own with no help from mom" item!

It seems that the presser foot bar is stuck in the down position, but not completely down... the release lever on the back of the machine does not operate it at all, even tho it "swings" ~ could that screw be stripped?