Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 10-31-2011, 04:49 AM

Originally Posted by jljack
I have been working on my Davis since late afternoon. I took a bunch of pics during the process.
Janice, look at page 1178. That is what my Davis looks like now. 'Betty' looked just like your Davis when I got her. After cleaning with Goop - non-pumice -, I applied several coats of Blue Magic TR3 Resin Glaze for cars. She is really slick and shiny now - the picture doesn't do her justice.

Nancy
Old 10-31-2011, 04:55 AM

I have been working on my Davis since late afternoon. I took a bunch of pics during the process.
Really looking good !!

Texas Jan
Old 10-31-2011, 05:14 AM

Originally Posted by valleyquiltermo
Would anyone have resources for bobbins for a 99K singer machine? Thanks in advance for your help. Donna
Donna, the 99K takes a class 66 bobbins which are available at Wal Mart. The only problem is that you have to get metal bobbins and most of the 'new' class 66 bobbins won't fit on your bobbin winder spool. It is best to go to a sewing repair shop or order some vintage class 66 bobbins on-line.

To the person who needed treadle belts, you can get them on-line or at your local sewing repair shop. Most sewing repair shops still sell them. It doesn't matter which machine you are putting them on - the belts usually come a standard 72" and you have to cut them to fit your machine. You can even order a 'roll' of the belt and just cut off what you need per machine.

Nancy
Old 10-31-2011, 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by wvdek
This evening while having dinner at church, my DH's good friend, his GF and I were talking. After talking aabout all the snow everyone had, I made mention that because of all the power outages, that that is why I want a treadle sewing machine so I can keep on sewing.

DH's friend says, "I have one up at the house you can have". What! Be still my heart. "What brand is it"? "I don't know. It has a wooden case with several drawers chock full of old buttons and stuff and has a goofy looking rounded top that removes". "Oh, a coffin top". "Yeah, it does look like that". "

I'm going up tomorrow to loook at it. Either way, he is giving it to me and I will take it. I did ask him if he wanted me to make him a quilt and he reminded me I had already made him a fleece blanket that he uses all the time. (He and my DH made me a solid wood porch swing out of old school wooden (mostly oak with a nice piece of wormy chestnut) tongue and groove flooring boards. I made him the blanket as a thank you.)

I asked him if he wanted a valance made for his great room window. He said as long as it has black bears, pine trees, and pinecones, I could do anything I wanted. Woohoo!
I can only hope it is a gem. Will let ya'all know.
How exciting! Can't wait to see what he has for you....with a coffintop, that's indicative of late 1800's/early 1900's... :) Congrats!!
Old 10-31-2011, 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by pumpkinpatchquilter
I am new to all of this, so if I am about to make myself sound like a total dummy, please forgive me in advance. LOL* I see here you used Bar Keepers Friend to polish the metal, is that a lot different than Comet powder cleanser? Is there any reason I couldn't just use comet on the metal? It does say it cleans stainless steel...thanks! Lol*

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Looking good!!!

Before long you will be making a quilt on it. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Billy
Thanks, Billy. It was fun to do. I used Barkeepers Friend to clean all the metal. It worked like magic!! Think I'll put some Turtle Wax on her to help keep the finish intact. It's pretty bad, and I don't want it to deteriorate any further.
Barkeeper's Friend is less abrasive than is Comet, and was formulated for shining the stainless steel in a bar. Comet, IMO, is too harsh and will leave some major scratches and a dull finish.
Old 10-31-2011, 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by Crossstitcher
Well my Hubby was at it again yesterday. Went to an estate auction and found this machine. He calls her Frankie and just couldn't leave her. So she is a Franklin and her decals are in really good shape. The cabinet is good except for some pieces missing around two drawer knobs. Which we have extra so can be fixed. The cabinet is solid oak no veneer. Needs a good cleaning but she sews like a dream I have already tried her out.I was sewing straight lines with her and told Hubby to try her out and he sewed a circle around my lines. So he says she can sew circles around any of our other ladies.
I can't keep him away from any auction that says "old" sewing machine in cabinet.
Well here are some of her pictures before cleaning. Too darn cold right now to do that. Were out in the snow yesterday to get her. (She uses a 15X1 needle which is good) Don't know her birthday tho. :-( Need help with that.
Trish you just PM'd me and I answered you about dating this machine using the White dating site! Forget that! I hadn't gotten to your picture yet! Now that I see the machine, this is not a White Franklin. This is one of those rare Franklins made by Davis in 1911! These machines were modeled after Singers 27/127 with elaborate decals. They are very hard to find! This is only the second one I know of here in this shop! Kathie has the other one!

Great find!

Nancy
Old 10-31-2011, 05:38 AM
Power Poster

Ha. I used Colgate tooth paste with baking soda on some of my chrome pieces - it was covered in smoke or what - came right off - shined up good too... I use it on silverware too...
Old 10-31-2011, 05:39 AM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Originally Posted by Crossstitcher
Well my Hubby was at it again yesterday. Went to an estate auction and found this machine. He calls her Frankie and just couldn't leave her. So she is a Franklin and her decals are in really good shape. The cabinet is good except for some pieces missing around two drawer knobs. Which we have extra so can be fixed. The cabinet is solid oak no veneer. Needs a good cleaning but she sews like a dream I have already tried her out.I was sewing straight lines with her and told Hubby to try her out and he sewed a circle around my lines. So he says she can sew circles around any of our other ladies.
I can't keep him away from any auction that says "old" sewing machine in cabinet.
Well here are some of her pictures before cleaning. Too darn cold right now to do that. Were out in the snow yesterday to get her. (She uses a 15X1 needle which is good) Don't know her birthday tho. :-( Need help with that.
Trish you just PM'd me and I answered you about dating this machine using the White dating site! Forget that! I hadn't gotten to your picture yet! Now that I see the machine, this is not a White Franklin. This is one of those rare Franklins made by Davis in 1911! These machine were modeled after Singers 27/127 with elaborate decals. They are very hard to find! This is only the second one I know of here in this shop! Kathie has the other one!

Great find!

Nancy
Thanks for your help Nancy. The manual does say to use Singer 27 needles and shuttle.
Old 10-31-2011, 05:41 AM
Power Poster

Billy I have some Touch & Sew manuals if you are interested.
Old 10-31-2011, 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by miriam
Billy I have some Touch & Sew manuals if you are interested.
Miriam are you being funny? Are you serious? I don't think Billy cares for those Touch and Throws!

Nancy