Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 10-31-2011, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Originally Posted by QuiltnCowgirl
Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Cathy has it all! You are lucky that you live close enough to her. I enjoyed my two times spent at her house just looking in awe at her collection, even the junk stuff.
Monica - I think I win hands down for just looking in awe at all of her stuff...especially the lockers!! :mrgreen:
Yeah, I love her lockers! The other night I was looking on CLs for lockers. I was thinking of painting them red, and setting them out in the garage. There is a section in my garage that has carpet down with some gym equipment (not being used) next to my husband's tool area and other unnecessary items. I have my Free treadle, another e machine( that I would like to see if I could convert to treadle machine), and some other vintage cabinet items out in that space right now. I was thinking of clearing out a small section, putting the lockers in for my own mini collection, and keeping the Free treadle out there (I have no space inside the home). The carpet is gray; so, I like the idea of red lockers.
I still laugh at myself for the way I stood there with my mouth hanging open :lol: :lol: (and getting busted by you :D) )
Old 10-31-2011, 03:28 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by sew wishful
Hi, guys/gals!! I have a 128 that I picked up at a garage sale for $25 in a Bentwood case. I just offered to pay what they asked without checking it over very well....to say the least. The motor has broken off, so wondered if I could attach a handcrank to it?? I know nothing about doing this, but if there is a tutorial for it, I can read and follow directions. So that was question one. If the answer is yes, then...where can I find a crank for it and would it be easy for me to do alone? I'm crossing fingers, toes, arms, legs, eyes....braiding my hair if that would work...Please please please!!!??? Thanks so much for taking a moment and pondering my questions.
Muv has a video and Sew Classic has cranks coming in a couple weeks - I'm on the list...
Old 10-31-2011, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by ndnchf
Just yesterday I picked up an early Franklin with the fancy decals.
Pretty baby. Scarab. Cool. I like that you got the original manual too.
Old 10-31-2011, 04:28 PM

Monica,
Saw where you had changed your avatar - what does ttyl mean?
Haven't a clue on this one!!

Cindy
Old 10-31-2011, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by miriam
Originally Posted by DonnaC
Is there a reliable website that shows the differences between the old Singers? I'm driving myself nuts trying to pick out a vintage machine. I did receive some responses about the Singer 128, but I'm not sure how it differs from the Singer 99K and would like to look that up.

I understand that some of you have extraordinary luck picking up these machines for $50 or less, but I assure you, there haven't been any in my area for a long, long time... that's why I'm looking on eBay.
What are you planning to do with your vintage sewing machine? (Makes a difference what you buy.) Are you piecing, FM, etc? Just liking the idea of vintage? I'm really into the slant-o-matics. Others here are into treadles. One of us might have something you might like to buy. Do you want one to haul around? We could start a topic about 'what machine do you sew on and what do you use that machine for?' How ever there are a lot of people with their needle stuck in the groove of brand new is tons better than vintage and they all show up and seem very determined. I prefer a Singer 403 or 503 - they do a lot - they are all metal, you can see the needle, they have a drop in bobbin, economical, parts are available - easy for me to work - they thread front to back - when you are dyslexic that is a huge plus. I've seen the light on the 15 clones. Very nice machines and not terribly expensive - sew through anything. I can fix them and I can see what I'm doing. Some on here are going to have a favorite Singer 66 or what ever. I now have one but I haven't tried it out yet. Maybe each would give a reason for liking what they have.
Oh Miriam, I hear you. I just love my 403A. I bought her in 1972 and she's never, ever failed me, after all these years. I'm thinking of getting another one just to replace her, or keep for parts.

I recently bought the treadles for those days when the sun refuses to shine...I'll be totally on solar power soon. I think that I'll leve them just as much.

~ Cindy
Old 10-31-2011, 04:40 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by tropit
Originally Posted by miriam
Originally Posted by DonnaC
Is there a reliable website that shows the differences between the old Singers? I'm driving myself nuts trying to pick out a vintage machine. I did receive some responses about the Singer 128, but I'm not sure how it differs from the Singer 99K and would like to look that up.

I understand that some of you have extraordinary luck picking up these machines for $50 or less, but I assure you, there haven't been any in my area for a long, long time... that's why I'm looking on eBay.
What are you planning to do with your vintage sewing machine? (Makes a difference what you buy.) Are you piecing, FM, etc? Just liking the idea of vintage? I'm really into the slant-o-matics. Others here are into treadles. One of us might have something you might like to buy. Do you want one to haul around? We could start a topic about 'what machine do you sew on and what do you use that machine for?' How ever there are a lot of people with their needle stuck in the groove of brand new is tons better than vintage and they all show up and seem very determined. I prefer a Singer 403 or 503 - they do a lot - they are all metal, you can see the needle, they have a drop in bobbin, economical, parts are available - easy for me to work - they thread front to back - when you are dyslexic that is a huge plus. I've seen the light on the 15 clones. Very nice machines and not terribly expensive - sew through anything. I can fix them and I can see what I'm doing. Some on here are going to have a favorite Singer 66 or what ever. I now have one but I haven't tried it out yet. Maybe each would give a reason for liking what they have.
Oh Miriam, I hear you. I just love my 403A. I bought her in 1972 and she's never, ever failed me, after all these years. I'm thinking of getting another one just to replace her, or keep for parts.

I recently bought the treadles for those days when the sun refuses to shine...I'll be totally on solar power soon. I think that I'll leve them just as much.

~ Cindy
The Singer 503 is just as nice. I gave one to my DIL and she really took off on sewing. Every where she hauls that machine people ew and aw over it. Her mom was shocked that she would sew at all - she said she tried to teach her to sew and it didn't work - DIL says she just feels like it is a really good tool. Don't get me wrong - I have an Elna that I dearly love, too - but I can work on the 530 and I can find parts for the 503... I'm kinda stupid about the clones - I like them - if I can keep track of which way the needle goes and which way they thread I'm good with those. They turn nice and easy and they go through about anything. They are so cheap - if you wear one out just find another one...
Old 10-31-2011, 04:48 PM
Power Poster

I worked on the Singer 319 today. I cleaned some more. The zig zag now zigs and zags!!! I squirted a lot of kerosene in it last week and let it set... Whew that's a relief. I should pull off the tension and clean it and then put it back together... I'm waiting for Lois to come over so I can watch her do it. :mrgreen: LOL The dirt on that machine has been very stubborn to get off. I'm finding it way under stuff. I discovered the stitch length under the machine - that machine had some very interesting engineering. WOW. I am concerned about the plastic disks - can they be changed out if needed? Glen? That machine turns like a dream. I greased and oiled - I was afraid it would rust out if I didn't get it on there soon. I'm going back and forth on the motor - can it hand crank? I only have a 'free' treadle base and no cabinet... I think someone said it needs a Singer 66 to fit. Then again it had a VERY beautiful cabinet with it. What bobbins does it take?
Old 10-31-2011, 05:09 PM

I looked all over the Franklin for a serial number and almost gave up. But then I slid open the shuttle access plate and there was the serial number. Someone mentioned that Davis made machines have a letter D preceding the number. This one does not have the letter D, so I'm still not sure who made it. Looking through the original manual gives no clue either.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-280119.jpe  
Old 10-31-2011, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by ndnchf
I looked all over the Franklin for a serial number and almost gave up. But then I slid open the shuttle access plate and there was the serial number. Someone mentioned that Davis made machines have a letter D preceding the number. This one does not have the letter D, so I'm still not sure who made it. Looking through the original manual gives no clue either.
Most of the information I could find on Sears machines is here:
http://www.ismacs.net/sears/sears.html
Sort of confusing, though
Jon
Old 10-31-2011, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by Cindy Lou Who
Monica,
Saw where you had changed your avatar - what does ttyl mean?
Haven't a clue on this one!!

Cindy
Ttyl= Talk to you later. While working on my quilting projects (and other projects), my breaks are spent checking on the chatter here. Sometimes people post; I respond and leave the computer without realizing they have directed a question to me. I'm still online, but I'm really at machine treadling away. Just my way of stating that I will get back to you. :)